Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dyne posted:

edit: and to motronic, I posted a long while ago about getting a tractor/loader/backhoe vs excavator, I believe you posted that a backhoe is not nearly as nice to use as an excavator. You were correct, the backhoe on my b26 is mostly just kept on as a counterweight now.

Yeah, after running an ex/miniex getting into a backhoe again feels like trying to dig with a fence or wall a couple feet to both sides of you while operating a rube goldberg machine every time you need to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does anyone have recommendations for more full fledged scan tools, like the Launch, Autel, or HF Icon T8?

I've run into a couple of things where it seems like it'd be nice to have one, but the ~$500-1k price tags are enough to keep it out of impulse territory for me.

I think my big worry is that 2 year subscription they all come with - is it going to become useless after that (without renewing for a few hundred a year), or does it mean it's just not going to get updates anymore?

Pine Hollow on Youtube recommended the Launch X431 CRP919EBT Elite as the maybe best entry level into this, I think I can (wait until Prime day and) stomach the $454 if it's good, but if it just stops working unless I subscribe, I'm concerned about that.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I bought an Autel AP200 from Ali Express for like 40 bucks. It includes one brand perpetual licence, and then you pay 20 bucks per year per make beyond that. It seems to have most of Autels more advanced support like EPB, Battery reprogramming, throttle relearning etc.

I've only used it for EPB release thus far, but it worked nicely for that. Having the software on your phone might be a turnoff, but you could use an old burner phone. The licence is tied to the obd2 unit. It might be more for the DIY market than what you are looking for though.

EDIT This exact one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001225890823.html

Humbug fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 18, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for more full fledged scan tools, like the Launch, Autel, or HF Icon T8?

I've run into a couple of things where it seems like it'd be nice to have one, but the ~$500-1k price tags are enough to keep it out of impulse territory for me.

I think my big worry is that 2 year subscription they all come with - is it going to become useless after that (without renewing for a few hundred a year), or does it mean it's just not going to get updates anymore?

Pine Hollow on Youtube recommended the Launch X431 CRP919EBT Elite as the maybe best entry level into this, I think I can (wait until Prime day and) stomach the $454 if it's good, but if it just stops working unless I subscribe, I'm concerned about that.

It will not stop working, you just don't get updates. At least for the Autel.

I've got a MaxiPRO 808BT. I skipped the one with the TPMS programmer in it because that's a dump form factor for TPMS programming and I've already got a standalone Autel programmer.

The guy on Pine Hollow is a shill who's getting paid for that recomendation as well as AstroAI (which are fine backup/throw it in a toolbox meters, but NOBODY would use one of those things as their main meter). While I'm sure the Launch is just fine I know nothing about their service. Autel has a service center in upstate NY and they do a great job. The previously mentioned TPMS programmer got a bunch of lines in the screen and they gave me an RMA number, fixed my unit and returned it inside of a week. I've also never had their software updates break my poo poo.

If you don't need 2-way/all the features the AL619 or whatever the replecment is these days gets updates forever for free. I've had one (checks Amazon) since 2014. It's still working great and getting updates. It's a perfect quick scanner.

Also, before getting into a mid size/full size bidirectional scanner you should really consider if that's the best thing for your needs. If you're primarily dealing with one vehicle or manufacturer there are often better options. But if you need to be able to hook up to some random thing routinely, graph some live data and run an ABS bleed or whatever then yeah.....the big ones are worth it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Motronic posted:

The guy on Pine Hollow is a shill who's getting paid for that recomendation as well as AstroAI (which are fine backup/throw it in a toolbox meters, but NOBODY would use one of those things as their main meter).

He's also a massive chud, I unsubscribed from that channel when he prominently hung a huge trump flag in the garage after the last election.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
What a weird coincidence that just yesterday I had to borrow my dad's Harbor Freight ZURICH ZR15s to tell my radiator fan to turn on so I could try and diagnose my power steering issue (thanks Jeep!). I don't know enough about the competition to recommend it (I'm still using Torque and a Bluetooth adapter) but it's easily the nicest thing I've ever used from Harbor Freight at least.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Humbug posted:

I bought an Autel AP200 from Ali Express for like 40 bucks. It includes one brand perpetual licence, and then you pay 20 bucks per year per make beyond that. It seems to have most of Autels more advanced support like EPB, Battery reprogramming, throttle relearning etc.

I've only used it for EPB release thus far, but it worked nicely for that. Having the software on your phone might be a turnoff, but you could use an old burner phone. The licence is tied to the obd2 unit. It might be more for the DIY market than what you are looking for though.

EDIT This exact one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001225890823.html
I was really hopeful for this one, because that sounds ideal, but according to Autel it doesn't support my car (2012 GMC Yukon). Still considering it for the partner's car since it's supported and the tool is cheap enough to just get it for that one.

Motronic posted:

It will not stop working, you just don't get updates. At least for the Autel.

I've got a MaxiPRO 808BT. I skipped the one with the TPMS programmer in it because that's a dump form factor for TPMS programming and I've already got a standalone Autel programmer.

The guy on Pine Hollow is a shill who's getting paid for that recomendation as well as AstroAI (which are fine backup/throw it in a toolbox meters, but NOBODY would use one of those things as their main meter). While I'm sure the Launch is just fine I know nothing about their service. Autel has a service center in upstate NY and they do a great job. The previously mentioned TPMS programmer got a bunch of lines in the screen and they gave me an RMA number, fixed my unit and returned it inside of a week. I've also never had their software updates break my poo poo.

If you don't need 2-way/all the features the AL619 or whatever the replecment is these days gets updates forever for free. I've had one (checks Amazon) since 2014. It's still working great and getting updates. It's a perfect quick scanner.

Also, before getting into a mid size/full size bidirectional scanner you should really consider if that's the best thing for your needs. If you're primarily dealing with one vehicle or manufacturer there are often better options. But if you need to be able to hook up to some random thing routinely, graph some live data and run an ABS bleed or whatever then yeah.....the big ones are worth it.
That's reassuring - not getting updates doesn't seem like a huge problem, our newest car is 7 years old at this point, but I'd like the tool to work somewhat permanently.

I didn't realize that (or what openGL mentioned) about Pine Hollow, but good to know. That actually makes sense, because I recognized the channel name because I recall him being in a South Main Auto video awhile back, and I stopped watching him because he got very chuddy, so ... yeah, figures.

I do think I'm looking for a 2-way/all the features kind of tool - the specific thing that prompted it here is that I need to run an ABS Bleed, actually - but I'm open to something like what Humbug mentioned and don't think I necessarily need a $1k tool if lesser priced tools can actually do the work. The last issue I ran into was looking for live misfire data, and I don't remember what the issue before that was but it was something that required a full scan tool. That's the thing - I keep running into things that sort of justify it, but talking myself out of it because they're pretty big money and at least so far, I've managed to get past the issues through other means.

I like the sound of the unit you mentioned - the 808BT - and the price on Amazon ($699) is better than the Icon, but it worries me that Autel's site seems to think my car isn't supported. I even checked on their New Hot Model (I think, the Maxisys Ultra) and it says it supports GMC Yukons back to 2014, but not before. Probably super long shot, but have you ever had to use yours with a pre-2014 GMC?

Cat Hatter posted:

What a weird coincidence that just yesterday I had to borrow my dad's Harbor Freight ZURICH ZR15s to tell my radiator fan to turn on so I could try and diagnose my power steering issue (thanks Jeep!). I don't know enough about the competition to recommend it (I'm still using Torque and a Bluetooth adapter) but it's easily the nicest thing I've ever used from Harbor Freight at least.
Maybe I just grab one of these next time they're on sale - it does say it'll do ABS Bleed, so it at least covers that! I like the price, and it seems like it has a lot of but not all of the features, so it could be enough for awhile. (I honestly considered "renting" one yesterday - buy it, use it, pay the restock fee to return it.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

The last issue I ran into was looking for live misfire data, and I don't remember what the issue before that was but it was something that required a full scan tool.

Yeah, some of the live data on the high speed bud doesn't work with the little scanners/dongles. I don't know why. But also, it sounds like you might be talking about a power blanace test? If it was a Ford that was probably it and that takes a big boy scanner.

Krakkles posted:

I like the sound of the unit you mentioned - the 808BT - and the price on Amazon ($699) is better than the Icon, but it worries me that Autel's site seems to think my car isn't supported. I even checked on their New Hot Model (I think, the Maxisys Ultra) and it says it supports GMC Yukons back to 2014, but not before. Probably super long shot, but have you ever had to use yours with a pre-2014 GMC?

I haven't tried a 3rd gen Yukon or other GM in that age range. I'm assuming it's what they were doing with the ECUs back in those days that caused no end of problems with programmers like EFILive at the time too. I'm sure it works just find for generic OBD2 and live data, but you're probably losing the vehicl specific stuff which is going to include things like ABS bleeds. Id' be curious what it can/can't do. Autel is usually pretty conservative with what they "support" (meaning actually tested) vs what might work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I picked one of these up last summer. It's definitely a step above the typical OBDlink type hardware - was able to do full bidirectional control on my Canyon's EGR bypass valve, and looks like it can run a lot of other bidirectional tests as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Krakkles, I've got an AutoEnginuity (for GM suppoort), and it's been good. ABS bleeds, crank relearns, that sort of stuff. I never updated it for my '15, but I could pay the upgrade and do so, afaik. If you need to borrow it, I'd be happy to share. I bought it in '12.
Quantity: 1
Item: Auto Enginuity USB PC ProLine Interface (ST06)

Unit Price: $224.95
Total Price: $224.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 1
Item: Auto Enginuity Scan Tool, GM Enhanced Interface Expansion (EI02)
(EI02)

Unit Price: $206.95
Total Price: $206.95
subtotal: $431.90
total: $431.90

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I picked one of these up last summer. It's definitely a step above the typical OBDlink type hardware - was able to do full bidirectional control on my Canyon's EGR bypass valve, and looks like it can run a lot of other bidirectional tests as well.
I like this, but the subscription after a year quickly bumps that price up to the Zurich's neighborhood, and I like the idea of not having to subscribe.

sharkytm posted:

Krakkles, I've got an AutoEnginuity (for GM suppoort), and it's been good. ABS bleeds, crank relearns, that sort of stuff. I never updated it for my '15, but I could pay the upgrade and do so, afaik. If you need to borrow it, I'd be happy to share. I bought it in '12.
This is incredibly kind, thank you! I don't have a windows laptop at the moment, unfortunately, but otherwise this one seems the most promising in terms of explicitly supporting the vehicle.

Motronic posted:

I haven't tried a 3rd gen Yukon or other GM in that age range. I'm assuming it's what they were doing with the ECUs back in those days that caused no end of problems with programmers like EFILive at the time too. I'm sure it works just find for generic OBD2 and live data, but you're probably losing the vehicl specific stuff which is going to include things like ABS bleeds. Id' be curious what it can/can't do. Autel is usually pretty conservative with what they "support" (meaning actually tested) vs what might work.
That's my thinking too. I pinged Autel on Amazon with my VIN to see if they think it'll support it (or have a suggestion about which tool would be best), but haven't heard back yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I like this, but the subscription after a year quickly bumps that price up to the Zurich's neighborhood, and I like the idea of not having to subscribe.

The way I interpret it is that the subscription is only needed for future updates, and at this point I don't see much coming down the pipe for my no-newer-than-2018 fleet. I could be wrong, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The way I interpret it is that the subscription is only needed for future updates, and at this point I don't see much coming down the pipe for my no-newer-than-2018 fleet. I could be wrong, though.

It's this. If you start buying newer stuff you can resubscribe to updates or, more likely, get a newer tool that has another year or two of free updates.

It's unlikely you need to be paying the $300+ a year on the 9 series tools from Autel are even the $160-isn on the 8 series (or equivilent in other brands). When my 2 years of free updates runs out I'm probabably good for another 3 at least. At that point the enrtire world has changed on these tools and the only reason I'll keep it around is for "old stuff" where I do'nt need updates and if my new tool doesn't seem to be doing the right thing, just like why my buddy keeps his old rear end SnapOn Solus around for the barely OBD2 things that come into his shop.

(you should see what trying to use legit GM Tech2 looks like these days, it's wild. Just a bunch of crazy java VMs on thousand dollar interfaces on your laptop........gimmie the real OG tool any day)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 19, 2024

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's what I keep my mt2500 around for still, all the decrepit OBD0 and OBD1 stuff that won't work with my elm327, and basic OBD2 bidirectional on domestic up to 01ish.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd be really curious to hear from you, who I trust a lot more than some random Amazon reviewer, but there's a review on that one that says:

quote:

Thinkdiag2 only supports 1-year full software function use and update, after 1-year, if you don't renew it, you can only use the basic OBDII full function.
By subscribing to an annual membership, you gain access to the full system and function of all compatible car models during the validity of the subscription
You mentioned last summer, so I'm guessing it hasn't been a year yet?

Autel replied and said it will "theoretically" work. Reassuring :q:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 19, 2024

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I would presume that the inexpensive tool is to try and rope you into the annual subscription to keep it working.

I haven't heard of the Autel units working that way, they seem to use the subscription as actual updates for new vehicles or for updating existing vehicles, but any functionality of the tool when you buy it is not affected by any subscription status.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I'd be really curious to hear from you, who I trust a lot more than some random Amazon reviewer, but there's a review on that one that says:

You mentioned last summer, so I'm guessing it hasn't been a year yet?

I'll try to come back and remember, but yeah - according to my Amazon history it was last July. I must not have activated it right away because the app says I have 236 days left.

If it does lock everything back down after that I'll be pissed. It'll still have been cheaper than paying a shop to do that EGR cleaning, and the bidirectional control made it easy to validate that the computer did in fact have control over the bypass valve and that the bypass was working via monitoring EGR cooler inlet/outlet temperatures.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PitViper posted:

I would presume that the inexpensive tool is to try and rope you into the annual subscription to keep it working.

I haven't heard of the Autel units working that way, they seem to use the subscription as actual updates for new vehicles or for updating existing vehicles, but any functionality of the tool when you buy it is not affected by any subscription status.
Yeah, and based on what I've heard here, I feel comfortable with that. I think I'm more or less landing on the Autel that Motronic recommended, when I spot a deal on it.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Man im a sucker. He made me take this pic! I hope tool boxes are allowed in this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Those are some nice carts. Hope the rep threw in the shirt and neck lights lol.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Dope tool chest. I'm jelly

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i wonder if that toolbox costs more than all my cars put together, or just one or two of them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Nice tits uhhh chest.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Raluek posted:

i wonder if that toolbox costs more than all my cars put together, or just one or two of them.

Retail should have been around 3500ish I think?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

pfffft...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Retail should have been around 3500ish I think?

oh ok. only half of them, then. not too bad

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I got it for $2800. And got 4 hats and a screwdriver with it!

He said there was a blemish and knocked the price down but I couldn't find it.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Those are some nice carts. Hope the rep threw in the shirt and neck lights lol.

The neck light was the very first thing I bought from snap on like 3 years ago!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 23, 2024

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is there such a thing as a quality 2-prong polarized extension cord?

I bought Ridgeline a few months ago, and it has a max 400W outlet in the bed. It would be handy for blowing up air mattresses for camping and small stuff like that, but to get the most use out of it I'd need an extension cord. I'm only looking for something around 10-15 feet, but all of the 2-prong cords I find are the cheaper indoor ones, and I really like my good Flexilla cords.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Why can't you just use a grounded extension cord?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Are you looking for a lightweight extension cord with multiple outlets?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just use a 2 prong adapter?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

This is the real answer. A lot of the adapters also have a tab where you could run a wire to ground should you want/need to, but I personally wouldn't put the effort in. I am no electron rancher, though, so grain of salt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hey tool thread. I built a new tool. It does things.

ER6011, 75A +/- on my Invertec 160S

Not pretty but they're good farm welds, I don't really care. Didn't break with a hammer.

That detail isn't important.

This 2kW junk aims inverter pushed it. Blown up a decade ago when it went for a swim at burning man, given to me, fixed, and put back into service. It'll do 3kW before it gets angry. Welcome to the suck.

More details.

This is/was an eight point six kiloWatt battery pack I built over the last 3 months from salvaged telco power backup and parked in the middle of this junk rear end golf cart. Added a wet kit and a dump bed and a nearly 500A motor controller. It's unstoppable and throws down welds anywhere on the 60 acres I reside on. There's a 330W panel on the roof that covers all of the idle loads while running.

It's the best power tool I've ever fabricobbled from trash. The enclosure? it once was a samsung dryer. I'll upgrade to a 6kW inverter later and it'll run my precision watercooled tig or an entire house. Bonus, I can load it on the farm truck, charge it with the truck and solar while I drive to jobs. Later comes a J1772 plug when it gets the 280Ah pack. (I'm running four of these rebuilt telco packs now)

It'll get paint and bodywork when it earns it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 24, 2024

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cool, I did about half of that a few years ago. I'll mount the solar panels and inverter one day but the important part is it works, charges tool batteries, and can pull a few thousand pounds of firewood or my welder cart. Its absolute poo poo in snow however and I need to find tiny tire chains for it.

I wont take pictures of mine because the body looks so drat ugly, the plan was to paint it when I do the sheetmetal on the tractor so I think its getting Massey Ferguson red and grey.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SpeedFreek posted:

I wont take pictures of mine because the body looks so drat ugly, the plan was to paint it when I do the sheetmetal on the tractor so I think its getting Massey Ferguson red and grey.

Don't doxx me

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I ain't going to talk poo poo, probably 7 of every 10 of my welds look similar using 6013s at 110-130amps.

They hold.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last time I stick welded was about a week before I got my mig welder, my stick welds would probably look terrible by now too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My mig welds look pretty terrible too. I actually think I got better looking stick welds. I would like to do some stick welding again but it's an outdoor activity for me.

This was the last thing I stick welded, way back in 2019 now... I welded 99% using 7018s

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

opengl posted:

Why can't you just use a grounded extension cord?

It's a 2-prong outlet, and I don't want to buy a 3 prong cord and break a pin off.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you looking for a lightweight extension cord with multiple outlets?

No, just an extension cord.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

This is probably what I'll end up doing, although I don't know that I'll be able to ground it to anything (maybe the body if I can find a spot). It seems weird that such a thing doesn't exist, but what's insane to me is that at Home Depot I found a 100 foot, 2-prong cord (with I think 16 gauge wire), but nothing in the 10-25ft range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do what now? ive never ever done anything other than plug it in and do what i need to do