Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive jack and jack stands? I'm getting sick of using my Rhino Ramps and the unsafe OEM tire jack for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

hippynerd posted:

HF has ok quality stuff real cheap. You can get a 2 ton floor jack for about $20, and 3 ton jack stands for under $20 (I got a few sets for $13 on sale)

HF==Harbor Freight

Seems like Sears/Craftsman is better, unless someone has had a bad experience with them:

Jack
Pair of stands

Total = $45 and has Craftsman 1 year warranty vs. HF's 90 days. Any comments?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Oops. Delete please.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

Get the harbor freight racing jack mentioned in this thread. (And read the god drat thread.) Mine was like $140 or $125 and is awesome because its not that heavy (aluminum) and raises stuff quickly.

As for tools, I just picked up this baby for $18. I have been very happy with my 6" and have used it enough to be on the second battery (which was included.) It has proven to be quite accurate and repeatable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47260

It seems that the HF jack goes up to only 14-15" and it more expensive than this jack that goes up to 19": here.

I did read the thread.. I'm just looking for more opinions.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Chauncey posted:

Went to Sears today and bought a 3-ton jack, creeper, and jackstands all for $90.

I really wanted to get the aluminum racing jack, but it was $160 and my jackstands are old and scare me so I needed a new set of those anyway. I think the sale ends after this weekend, not sure.

Are you talking about THIS set? Are the stands flimsy? Also, is the jack small and short-handled like IOwnCalculus is saying?

If not, I'll probably pick this up even though the creeper looks a little :gay:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
I went ahead and bought that set for $100. I'll let you guys know how it is when I get home from school. It is heavy as gently caress, though (or maybe I'm a pussy).

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Decision time guys:

I need to get some power tools. Namely, a drill and a jigsaw. A circular saw or router might be helpful too, but aren't necessary.

They'll be used lightly and not very often (not a contractor or pro mechanic).

There was a pretty badass deal on a DeWalt DC728KA at Lowe's, and I picked one up. $89 for it. Only thing I don't like is that it uses NiCad batteries and is kinda pricey.

Now, after seeing a deal at Home Depot for a Ryobi One+ starter kit, I'm kind of questioning myself.

I can get a drill and circular saw for $99. Then, I can pick any tool or One+ accessory for free. I'd probably either get the Li-Ion upgrade kit, then hock the original batteries (and maybe the circular saw) on eBay and get a decent jigsaw. Essentially, I could probably end up paying about $40 for a Li-Ion drill.

I can still return (or eBay, since they're going for quite a bit) the DeWalt. Should I? Or will the difference in quality be vast. Keep in mind, the tools will be used sparingly and newbishly :(.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 13, 2008

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Nice double post there, Pissingintowind :suicide:.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Can you guys recommend me a brand of anti-seize? I'm about to put some new wheels on and I'd like for them not to get stuck on like the current ones are :downs:

Also, is PB Blaster the best stuff for taking out stubborn poo poo?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

PB blaster works great. I'll use Seafoam if I run out of PB blaster. I use the spray on white lube (I think its called lithium grease) for wheel threads.

Okay, so PB Blaster sounds good for working poo poo that is already stuck loose. It seems like the Deep Creep and Kroil are for the same purpose, so I'll just grab whatever they have at AutoZone.

When I was asking about anti-seize, I meant along the lines of lithium grease or something I can spray onto the wheel hub in advance, rather than something I can use when things are already stuck together. Is there a specific brand of lithium grease I should look for, or is it all the same?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Where can I buy wheel acid without waiting for shipping? I don't think Autozone/NAPA/Pep Boys has it...

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
I stripped the poo poo out of one of my brake hose fasteners (11mm). How can I get this off?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Is there any air compressor worth buying at HF? Or is it better to stick to the more known brands?

It would be used for inflating tires, removing brake caliper pistons, and maybe one of these babies.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

si posted:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221131-28309-2317G

I bought this kit from Lowe's, as my local one had it on clearance for 49.99. Works great for everything I've used it for, including ripping a rusted suspension bolt out of an 06 WRX that had seized to the point that the impact removed all of the thread from the bolt while taking it off the nut.

This was after failing to be able to turn it using a 6 foot cheater on a breaker.

Holy poo poo. Where is your local Lowe's? This looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

si posted:

St. Louis (Ballwin) -- was about 1-2 months ago now though, they had 3 of them sitting on the shelf when I got mine.

Darn. I would love to grab something like that at the same price, but it looks like I missed out. Maybe next time!

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Any current HF 20% off coupons? I missed the last one.

edit: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=prefs_comp&campaign=signup&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4137_2316&cust=91537869999&keycode=0457

Enjoy! Good till May 31st.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Sears has a Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack with Jack Stands set on sale for $40. Not the most high-end equipment, but it's Craftsman and it's $40, and that's a good deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950140000P?keyword=jack+stand

Both this jack and the stands are total flimsy poo poo. The $100 jack and stands deal that they have once in a while is much better, although the jack is somewhat heavy.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
gently caress. I was about to go buy something big at HF today, and I see that the 20% coupon expired yesterday. Goddammit. Anyone have a new one?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Can anyone recommend some good "bang for the buck" torque wrenches?

I figure it's about time I pick up one or two so I can start being more precise. How much should I be paying for each respective size?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
You guys don't think it will break if I look at it funny?

Then again, I really like my Harbor Freight jack.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Well, what do you know.

Can't go wrong with this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

I had that exact set. The stands are fine. The creeper is fine - it's a little flimsy. The jack weighs like 80 pounds. It is incredibly heavy, to the point where I ended up selling the set and just getting an aluminum jack. Carrying that thing around got old fast. Also, when letting a car down, it was very difficult to let it down slow. No such problem with my HF aluminum jack.