Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

giundy posted:

Is there any point to a 110V welder? I'm thinking it may be a good a idea for any project and don't see a reason not to have one. The whole 220V thing though would require a new outlet in the garage.

Yes, they work fine for almost everything a normal person will end up doing to a car... anything more requires multiple passes but meh. As said before, MIG.

I had to laugh while I was on the Snapon truck last week. They wanted $80 for a door kit with 3 clip tools in it, I had been on the Cornwell truck the day before and they offered the exact same tools plus a nice extra prybar for half the price. There is a reason I shop around before I spend money. I also picked up my whole cornwell airtool set (mostly rebranded aircat and ingersoll) for about 1/5 the price of new over a months time on ebay. No one seems to bid on Cornwell tools. :v: Whatever, they work great for me.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a botique-ish brand for 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet/socket sets without hilarious pricing?
http://www.amazon.com/Teng-T1424-Socket-Metric-Piece/dp/B004UEHCMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360192495&sr=8-1&keywords=Teng+T1424
Kinda liked that but you can't get them in the US.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone recommend a set of NARROW feeler gauges at a reasonable price? I'm talking <.5" wide. Looking for .08mm -> .3mm range.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

IIRC the sets autozone sells fit that width requirement.

Great, thank you. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a hacky/cheap way to convert a vise to one that will hold a tube and prevent it from spinning and not damage/deform it?

I'm trying to disassembled a suspension cartridge to revalve it, the aluminum silver part on the right has two faces that allow a 16mm open end to be used but it is threadlocked from the factory so I need to heat the poo poo out of it. I already hosed up one trying to get it apart. Fortunately, it's a RSU Yamaha R6 fork so they are basically worth nothing, especially if already damaged (which doesn't matter to me since I just need to steal the cart).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

You can get what's called a "pipe yoke vice" that bolts to a bench for cutting pipe etc, that might do the trick if you can't find pipe jaws for a regular vice. Generic Chinese ones are probably cheaper than a vice with pipe jaws on it.

Though if you have a welder, making your own pipe jaws with angle iron shoudl work.

Those look aggressive... unfortunately no welder. It's on my list.

bolind posted:

Drill a piece of wood in the same diameter, then saw it in half.

How does that keep it from spinning though? I guess I could line it in rubber.

I found a guy with two bent forks that I can have for free so I will be grabbing those today to scavenge the cartridge out of. Hopefully I can get two of the three that I will have apart without destroying them.

Note to self, maybe it's worth paying a shop the extra 20% for the Ohlins valving kit and another $240 for install next time. Nahhhhhh, too easy / smart. Normally these come apart by pushing in the compression holder, pulling a circlip out, threading a bolt back into the comp holder, pulling it out, then pushing the rebound rod through the cart. This is an odd one with the loving bolted in aluminum compression holder. Pure nightmare.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 16, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Managed to get the other 3 fork legs open just fine with some angle iron, some rubber tube, and a vise. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a recommendation for an el-cheapo endoscope with lighting that will fit down a M14 spark plug hole and allow me to see the cylinder walls?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sharkytm posted:

$10 USB endoscope?

Yeah, just sure which ones are worth a poo poo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's what I get for replying whist my mind is elsewhere :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pick up a Huskey socket set from Lowes or whatever and replace the things that break with used Mac, Snapon, Craftsman (meh), etc from eBay.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have an el cheapo Tekton torque wrench that's alright. Not the best but it gets the job done when I'm working somewhere I really, really don't want to overtorque something.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24330-8-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-108-5/dp/B00FMPKAD0/

Uthor posted:

I bitched about the cheapest basic socket set at Harbor Freight before. Annoyingly, it's all 1/4" sockets and a 3/8" ratchet, so you need an adapter to use them together. I finally had to do something more than remove some trim pieces and put some torque on it. Twisted the adapter in half. Woo!

(I'm a 140 lb weakling.)

So, um, don't buy that.

Yeah, that's pretty much the fate for all adapters :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess it depends on the model years. E46 won't have any triple square or reverse torx, but will have regular torx for strange things like door panels. GODDAMN WINDOW REGULATORS

I guess E90 brought e-torx (and the begin of the decline of BMW).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Triple-square seems to be more VAG's weird thing most of the time, though even E30s have some E-Torx heads on them.

Yeah, I have a set of triple squares. Only used them once, to replace a Jetta door latch.

Can't think of where the E30 has etorx... :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Since we're on this subject... I don't want to go into the details because it involved some dumb-rear end poo poo, but my friend did this on his house main breaker a couple nights ago. I think we almost got pretty hosed up :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sigh. You bastard. I've been waiting for an excuse to buy a few good variations of pliers. Like the duckbills. Mmm, I want a pair.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAbUZABcu0
AvE tests some bolts

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Be careful, they like to jam when there is a bunch of force on them and they are extended. Ask my fenders how I know

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

The HF socket holder sets, and I say with an incredulous amount of WTF...are overpriced for what you get. Serviceable. But they should be around a buck a piece.

I don't like those things, I have a few of these in my socket drawer.

Also, you made me order those short impact sockets, they appear to be life changing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have these too, they fit great in one of my taller toolchest drawers and I love them because I can easily pull one out and take it over to wherever I'm working. Downside is the inevitable and near-instant compulsion to have a socket for every post.
Yeah, that can be kind of annoying for the 1/8" ratchet size since it has spots for dumb poo poo like 5.5mm. On the other hand, you can stack two 10mm on the single post :v:

The thing I don't like about those is that they have nothing to prevent you from accidentally mixing up sizes, whereas the one I linked has round extrusions that reject sockets that aren't at least as large as the size notated

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, I've gotten into the habit of only pulling the tools from my boxes that I absolutely need for exactly what I am working on and put them back as soon as I am done. I try and keep everything really organized, otherwise things tend to get lost / tripped on / forgotten / etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there an decently priced ($75-ish?) rivnut tool that hopefully includes some metric rivnuts? Is the Astro one the one to get?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
seems legit, I'll order one off ebay because gently caress amazon

Thanks guys :) Also, metric because who uses weird stuff like 3/8-16 (also because everything I touch is metric and I prefer to keep everything in line) :lol:

e: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Pneumatic-1427-Hand-Rivet-Nut-Kit-M5-M6-M8-M10-and-M12-New/332021224374

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 4, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He should, e30s never leave

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

OT, but you seriously prefer ebay over amazon?

Actually, yeah, because tax isn't applied and you can usually get better prices on everything in the first place. I had Prime for a while and I realized it just made me spend more money because I was buying poo poo I didn't really need to hit the free shipping threshold.

I've never really had a bad experience through eBay, but I don't buy stuff from the China sellers and what I do buy is generally from bigger merchants anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does this thread also cover garage stuff? I'm looking for some 48" LEDs to replace the two lovely T12 fixtures in my roughly 20x30' garage.

I figured a four pack of these would work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGKJ318/
But I'm open to something else, if you guys have any recommendations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

I put up 3 of these https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/4000K-LED-Batten-Ceiling-Light/p/36-7304 in our 8x3,5m (or something like that) low ceiling garage. Very low profile and gives very nice light. Easy to install as well. Not available in the US, but for any euro/uk goon they are well worth the price.
Wow, those are super low profile. Nice.

boxen posted:

There are some Costco LED ones that are really good, I can't offhand tell you what they are though.

Edit: I THINK it's these ones: https://www.costco.com/feit-electric-4'-linkable-led-shop-light%2C-2-pack.product.100462723.html

Interesting, it seems like a bunch of brands are the same generic ones with very slight changes by brand. Nice to know there are more options :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beach Bum posted:

Make sure you come on in to the Garage/Workshop thread as well, lighting discussed fairly regularly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823532

Thank you, I somehow missed that thread :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does anyone know what the black washers in this pic are called and where to get them? They are used to guide the two pieces together

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, I should have mentioned that they are conical in shape, like a very obtuse U in profile

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

kinda hard to interpret why these even have a conical washer in the first place, what is this assembly for?

This is what mine looks like right now, the idea is to make it a little bit easier to locate the splitter when reinstalling it without pulling the bumper

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

So is that actually a conical washer, or does it have a pronounced lip on it that happens to fit exactly with whatever mount it receives? Because if it's that, those are likely not commonly made parts and could be all the way to custom for that assembly.

You probably could figure out a way to jig something up to kinda sorta draw out fender washers to fit depending on what you have laying around the shop (that must include a press).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is the idea that they slot into those rounded out spaces in those brackets? I'm inclined to agree that those look like custom-machined pieces.

If they were thin I'd think maybe belleville washers but those are usually for adjusting tension, not locating.

I haven't actually held the original ones in my own hands, but I was hoping/assuming that they were some kind of off the shelf conical washer that was tacked to the bolt head with a captive metal spacer covering the threads on the bolt that the other bracket slipped over.

Ah well, I think you're right about the fender washer and press idea. I'll see what I can come up with. :). I guess it isn't that big of a deal either way, more of a convenience factor than anything.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 31, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a suggestion on a decent brake flare tool kit that can do 3/16" in M10 bubble flare, M12 bubble flare, and M10 inverted flare? Basically the flares needed for an E46 BMW and an 04 Miata.

Maybe a cap at like $350 or something

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99.9% certain the flare itself is just sized based on the tubing and is the same even if the thread on the nut varies - at least, I've never done a different flare for brake lines with different threads on either end :v:

If you're fine with doing them in a bench vise, $350 would way more than cover the Eastwood flaring tool. Hell, you could probably buy the 37 degree die kit for it too if you want to do any AN/JIC hardlines. If you want to do them on the car you'd want to look for one of the "inline" flaring tools but a quick search isn't showing me any of those that do bubble flares.

Hmm, that one looks pretty nice. I'll give it a try. Kinda sucks that the lines need to come out to be flared, but that is better than the alternative of a bad flare.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 17, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah. Only because I don't do anything with them. :colbert:

It is certainly cheaper that way

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Incoming BWM

My financial anxiety went down when I stopped tracking budget categories and instead created a monthly updated spreadsheet to track net worth broken down by:

Cash, taxable investments, 401k, ira, hsa, vehicles, real estate and then my only debt, which is a mortgage

I know I am maxing out my tax advantaged space and NW is moving in the correct direction so I don't bother stressing about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can get a 3/16 double-flare "inline" tool like this one for next to nothing and be able to easily accomplish any non-bubble-flare on the vehicle.

Sold! After kinda reworking what I was thinking I really only need bubble flares on lines that I haven't built yet, so this will work for what I can't easily remove.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a personal recommendation for a metric safety wire jig?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's... interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like speed bleeders a lot and have had really good luck with them, but they can be somewhat fragile if you're prone to hamfisting with respect to torque. I've also seen that you can get the Motive bleeder bottles that have an inline check valve, so that might be kinda nice if you don't want to buy speed bleeders for something you're working on.