Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You see once you buy the lock n lube you're in their ecosystem and you can buy one of these (and the other part you need).... It's how they get ya I swear: https://locknlube.com/collections/quick-connect-adapters/products/locknlube-simple-90-coupler

Their push on 90 is also neat.

(they sell a kit)

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I'd get a cheap extech or klein from your nearest store or Amazon. I see extech as cheap as $25 that have all you'll need I think.

If you wanna splurge on a fluke get one that's exclusive for the India or China markets, no warranty but like 1/3rd the price on ebay.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Torque test channel has tested all sorts of ratchets hand cranked to 150ft/lbs no problem.

E: Also just read the manual for the 3/8ths fuel and it doesn't say poo poo about hand cranking.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 30, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

devmd01 posted:

I asked my dad for a 12” compound sliding miter saw for Christmas probably 8 years ago, and he got me a Chicago Electric, which, lol. Used it *maybe* once a year at most, and finally today the inevitable happened when it comes to harbor freight, the drop stop completely broke off. It’s still usable, I just have to be careful not to push all the way down otherwise it starts cutting the base.

The quality of the casting is just incredible.

If you have not used the sliding feature I'd just replace it with a non slider.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

StormDrain posted:

M18 is crazy popular, I do see low voltage guys and finish trim electricians with the smaller tools. Usually the guys that realize the tool being light is a feature.

The install driver is 2nd only to Festool and not by much.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Which model is that and why? If it's the one I'm thinking of I've seen it and did not understand the use for it. The one with the hand guard thing on it? What's it for?

For... Installing. :agesilaus:

I am a bit facetious, but in general it's used for installing poo poo like cabinets, HVAC, electrical panels, sometimes trim where you have weird approach/angle to screws sometimes. I have an electrician friend that does a bunch of solar and likes the offset head for some of the electrical boxes for the inverters.

StormDrain posted:

Hell yeah I bought one of those last year. I justified it as project costs of course. The smallest innovation that I love is you can just stick a bit in it, you don't have to pull back the foreskin.

Only problem with that head is if you slip when blind drilling through metal studs on a 3/8ths or larger bit your bit may go bye bye into the wall. Stopped using the impact for holes after that.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 7, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DocCynical posted:

I've fixed fucky STLs in Blender like a psychopath, it's far from ideal.

This actually looks pretty loving cool. 80 bucks for some anodized CNC machine aluminum seems to be the largest complaint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCKCgBTKpMU
https://spliseal.com/

Can just use those dumb heat gun meltable solder with heatshrink butt connectors instead.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Iwiss (icrimp now) makes decent clones of pretty much every crimper in existence.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dupont makes automagic crimpers for stuff like microfit (literally automatic, you insert the wire, it strips and crimps). It's something like $3k. Worth every penny.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Raluek posted:

looks like costco's beast is back

idk how they compare to the daytona, since i got mine before those were available or well known, but mine has been great so far.

IIRC from project farm the Arcan one he tested was drat good. Better than the Daytona on some tasks but way more expensive.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Just make sure it's not your Ryobi charger being rear end, even my new chargers and batteries need to be shimmed to charge properly when laying flat.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Are those real Klein or knock offs? Are you willing to risk it?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Biggest problem I have with it is that you're still paying Klein/Fluke/whatever adjacent prices... But could get trash. If I pay for crap and get crap that's on me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

the spyder posted:

400gig is the new defacto if you can afford it. 800gig is the hottest we’re willing to ogle over at work. As we rip/replace our aging Cisco environment, going 4x400gig for our leaf/spine uplinks makes the most sense over the 7-10 year life in prod. Our dark fiber is utilizing 200gig. As far as what you need at home goes, between Ubiquiti and Microtik, 10g/2.5g is down right affordable. Cables and optics from fs.com have brought incredible speeds down to the prosumer. What’s funny to me is, 10gig is no longer common place having been replaced 4/5 years ago with 25gig. I only have a single 10gig cluster in our environment and it’s for backups. Homelab wise I took out my brocade switch and 10gig in favor of lower power 2.5g with a 10g uplink to my truenas box. Works amazing for what little I need.

I switched my home network to sfp/sfp+ switches and the main one near the NAS has two 25Gbps capable ports. Right now I am running 10Gpbs but am debating getting a used 25Gbps mellanox for the NAS. The main consumer of the NAS is a Mac and right now it's limited to 10Gbps so that's my bottleneck.

Since the sfp modules drive the power consumption (for the most part) it's not quite as thirsty unless I activate all the ports. Fiber at home is so nice. The only pain point I have is bringing in the fiber from the outside (crossing the walls).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The 5 inch cobra is my most used size. But I don't own the XS which may surpass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

That's just a u joint ratchet with extra less steps.