Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Does anyone have any experience with induction bolt heaters? I've been looking at this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...23-e75a753c34fe
but even the Chinese copys like this one are pretty expensive. Do they stand up to repeated use and does the insulation last?

I'm sick of my gas torch not really getting through the rust and oxy isn't an option for home use for me. Not having open flames and little heat spread is a bonus too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Thanks. I didn't consider that.
I dont think i will be reusing hardware that's been heated to red hot much. If its rusty enough to warrant bringing it out its usually far enough gone anyway. Wouldn't heating something to red hot also remove its ability to be magnetized unless you subject it to a magnetic field while its cooling? I'm in Europe so that aliexpress unit is the right plug and voltage for me, and is part of the reason I'm looking at Chinese versions. The 230v export version of the original American tool is ludicrously priced. The amperage shouldn't be a problem either.

Some videos for people who hasn't seen one before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEZKrVNO0
and the professional version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJElT9xK3bk

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

rdb posted:

You don't need to heat a bearing red hot to get it on. Maximum swell happens at like 250F, I forget the actual number but it's far below red hot. In fact if you heat one hot enough to change the color to that bluish purple you have ruined the bearing.

Its not for bearings. Its for rusty/stuck bolts and fasteners.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 6, 2017

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Uthor posted:

I brought my 18+V Ryobi hammer drill for a work trip just in case I would need it. Was playing with the trigger and it just up and stopped working. Doesn't spin at all. The LED lit up for a bit, but that's not flashing, either. Battery life lights say its full, but only when I unplug it. Guess it could be the battery...

I've used the drat thing like twice. I had the charger replaced after two or three uses, also. I know Ryobi isn't even a "prosumer" brand, but this is ridiculous.

My little 12V Ryobi drill has been a beast by comparison. It doesn't have a lot of torque, but I've abused the poo poo out of it.

I had the exact same issue with my Ryobi hammer drill bought in June. I swapped to a bigger battery I had, and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if I have tried the original battery again as I have a few identical.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I second getting a 6inch model. I have an old 6inch green Bosch and apart from the front handle breaking, it has stood up to a lot of abuse. I would also make sure it has a provision for connecting a vacuum cleaner. You can then sand indoors and generate next to no dust. I sand my kitchen table indoors without covering anything using a vacuum. Problem is that the sander will suck itself to the working surface, so its good to be able to turn down or open a bypass on the vacuum.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I'd say electric is pretty drat good these days for all the tools you mention, if the quality is right. I have the Ryobi pole saw and weed wacker, and both are pretty decent for non-pro duties. The chain tensioning on the pole saw does suck a bit, but that's more an annoyance. Get a 5ah battery and you can work for quite a while. Low noise is a big plus for me, but I don't know how close your neighbors are. Borrow a big gas saw for the big trees. I don't think you will find many powered 40 foot pole saws though.

Edit. That being said, I love my big Stihl gas weed wacker with harness and bush blade. One of my most used garden tools and it will cut small trees no problem. It's in a different league to the 18v one, but it's obviously a case of cost and need

Humbug fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 5, 2019

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I've wanted one of those for a while. I'm not a professional mechanic though, so I haven't been able to justify buying one. Tell us how it is when you've used it (if that isn't you in the video)

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A hardware store near me had a pretty good discount on induction bolt heaters, so i finally bit the bullet. After doing some suspension work yesterday I have to say it owns bones.

One thing I hadn't thought of before I bought it is that it heats through rust. With a propane torch, I usually have to spend some time picking away the scale rust to stop it from insulating the metal you want to heat underneath. In fact, most of the scale fell off from the thermal expansion, making it easy to fit a socket fully.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

kastein posted:

I bet you could but the limitation is going to be that you need to loop it around the fastener to get the best transfer iirc. Hard to do that on a run of pipe.

There is a flexible line you can wrap around stuff in the induction kit. It's a bit cumbersome though, so more for stuck brake couplings than pipe. Also, copper isn't heated much by induction.

I'm not keeping oxygen or acetylene bottles in my house for fire safety and insurance reasons, so it was either induction or MAPP/air as an upgrade from propane/air. I'm happy, but I can see its not for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I bought an Autel AP200 from Ali Express for like 40 bucks. It includes one brand perpetual licence, and then you pay 20 bucks per year per make beyond that. It seems to have most of Autels more advanced support like EPB, Battery reprogramming, throttle relearning etc.

I've only used it for EPB release thus far, but it worked nicely for that. Having the software on your phone might be a turnoff, but you could use an old burner phone. The licence is tied to the obd2 unit. It might be more for the DIY market than what you are looking for though.

EDIT This exact one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001225890823.html

Humbug fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 18, 2024