Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

miklm posted:

I've been shopping for an impact for months now, and finally bought a Farmhand brand from Tractor Supply.

Tractor Supply is quickly becoming one of my favorite stores, decent selection, and small enough they arent crowded as crap. Best of all the employees at mine actually seem to know the store like the back of their hand and are more than willing to help you find stuff, or cut rope and chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

giundy posted:

On another note, I'm about to start replacing panels on my CJ, whats the best thing for cutting them out? I have a reciprocating saw, a jig saw and the angle grinder to use. I'm trying to get a band saw for the cutting patches.

On my Bronco I used the thin cut-off wheels in my angle grinder. The Dewalt XP 4" .045 wheels seemed to last the longest for me, they are expensive at almost $3.00 each, but seemed to last much longer than the cheap brands. Lowes carries them.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_category_detail.asp?categoryID=4475

In my thread I talked a bit about cutting the biggest part of the panel out, then hitting the strip with the spotwelds.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

ease posted:

my buddy didn't have a good grip and requested we lower it right to the ground. I lowered slowly and he lowered quick and it tipped towards him and fell right over onto my garbage can which let it absorb some shock into the fill tube and then it went to the ground where it bent the cage a tiny bit.

How heavy are those things? i have often wondered how people get them in their garage and home from wherever they bought it.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I've been sold on Kobalt for a while now as a replacement for Craftsman. I haven't tried out the warranty yet (nothing broken) but all the packaging says Hassle Free Replacement and apparently Lowes will replace anything anyway. I have heard of people getting broken Stanley stuff replaced there.

Seconding this.

I bought a Kobalt 1/2" drive ratchet and a 1/4" drive ratchet on clearance a couple of years ago. They are now my favorite ratchets over the Craftsman ratchets.

I broke both my Husky 15mm chrome sockets (they may or may not have been in an impact gun at the time) so soon I will be venturing to Home Depot to see about that lifetime warranty.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Ericadia posted:

avoid the 4-ton Craftsman Pro jack at all costs.

I own one and it has worked flawlessly for 5+ years now. It's one of the few floor jacks you can buy that will get the wheels of a higher sitting SUV off the ground.

Of course I'm sure as I post this the jack is in the garage weeping fluid and about to explode in a ball of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Ericadia posted:

I'm going to bunker down and save my money until the right compressor shows up.

I own the one you were considering and you are making the right choice. I bought that compressor at a Sears outlet for $250 and sold my old similar sized oil-less compressor on CL for $150. So the net of $100 out of pocket made it a great compressor for me simply because of the noise factor. The oiled compressor you can't even hear in the house, which makes my wife happy too, she hated the old oil-less compressor as much as I did.

If I am ever buying a compressor again with the intention of using for anything productive, it will be a gigantic 60 or 80 gallon model.