Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My local equivalent to Walmart or Home Depot has got a 3 ton jack like this for 150€ at the moment. Are they a bad idea or good enough for what they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a small light model I have permanently installed in my car after I got a flat once and had to deal with the terrible factory jack. So I do know they are pretty great, and it was cheap one too.

I'm gonna have this bigger floor jack in my shop permanently, turning my woodworking shop into metalworking / car and moving my woodworking stuff into another building. Just making sure these things don't get reputations as death traps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Uthor posted:

I mean, use jack stands regardless of the jack you have.

You might say I have a similar question about jackstands. The ones in stores always looked a bit... unreliable to me. Like they could topple if you hit the car or did something particularly aggro with stubborn bolt. But maybe it's just me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a cheap set of hammers and dollies, wasn't finished very nicely so I polished them up myself. Will have to see how it stands up to actual usage, the dollies look like they might be cast iron. There's the original surface on another dolly too for comparison.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Youtuber Fitzee has got this tool, or jig that is basically two pipes of different sizes that are butted together and welded, with enough space to insert 18ga sheet metal between them. He uses this to make roundovers and similar features. It looks like a real simple and handy tool, but does it have an actual name?

Well poo poo. I found this video, by Fitzee himself on making said tool. So th s whole post is now pointless. But I will still post it for sharings sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uz9DqmP8PI

A pipe anvil is what it's called. I could've used one of those recently.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One of these things, kinda surprised they still make them, but surprised in a good way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think that one's gonna clean a carburetor for a car.

You'll want something in the 10 liter/quart range I think for an automotive carb. I have a 6 liter model and it feels too small a lot of the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^
That thing is huge. Wish I had something like it!

Anyone wanna recommend a good vacuum pump / meter? For checking vacuum lines and such. I suppose a tool that can also do positive pressures would be useful.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Seems like something you could fix yourself now you are aware of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a cheapo multitool finally. Last round of rust repair and welding cinched it. I hope it will work well at scraping off underseal too. Cheapest option I found

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Raluek posted:

i just take gloves from work :shrug:

it's not even stealing. i use them at work, then when they're too dirty for the clean room they're perfectly fine for car poo poo. so put em in your pocket instead of the trash

I just have grimy hands. I invest in good soap and a little brush for scrubbing my hands.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I usually put the old oil in an empty oil container.Last time I didn't have any however, so I filled up an empty windshield washer fluid container instead. Eventually I bring them to recyclers, it's free after all. Or well, we can't not pay the yearly general waste handling fee. So use it we will.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Too expensive

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blindjoe posted:

Does that work? I find if I wrap the tip in tape, then squish out a bunch of whatever the tube is, the goop on the end "seals" the rest of it and when i go back to it, i can peel off the end of goop, and then usually get a couple more uses out of it.
Condoms i think would leak air and harden in the tip, unless maybe you smoosh a bunch into the end.

Of course, if the condoms are there because you are using it for something else, then disregard (and remember to flare the base).

I put it in the freezer

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Regardless I find it's the only method that really works. Put it in a plastic bag and in the chest freezer. Gotta remember to take it out beforehand though so it requires some logistics.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kastein posted:

From the smell it made when my harbor freight portaband caught the brush end on fire the second time I pulled the trigger, I'm quite certain it was earwax.

poo poo was RANK.

To verify, offer it up to a cat, if it gobbles it up, earwax confirmed. This might introduce the taste for the substance however and if you sleep with the door open you might wake from a feline tongue in your ear one night.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My cheap grease gun has never leaked. It's got grease in it, I didn't think grease could leak. But Finland I guess.

I have an oil gun too and that one leaks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

StormDrain posted:

Is there a thread favorite multimeter? I just smoked my old one being dumb. Mostly auto related troubleshooting, continuity is a big one, but also voltage.

I just have cheap ones, my oldest digtal is from 2000 and is perhaps the one I like the most. It doesn't have auto ranging. I kinda like that, most of the time. So I do have one with autoranging too.

But yeah who wouldn't want a fluke. Can't justify it though. I would have more use adding a cheap analog one to my range.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think that's homemade entirely from scratch. I've made most of the furniture, drawers and poo poo in my shop myself, granted from wood, some metal like a welding table and I built my own break too which has been handy more than once? I now also spent three years building another small shed / now becoming another shop by myself from scratch, so maybe that says something about me.

But I think they work fine and where cheap as hell and I learned a lot doing it. I don't have a rolling tool box because I prefer tool walls but I have fixed tool drawers on my work benches. I know they aren't as good, with their wooden glides, as the professional cart we got at work. But I don't feel they are a hindrance either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I absolutely loathe batteries myself and most of my tools are corded. I don't own a cordless angle grinder and I won't be owning one until there's been a massive advance in the field.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not Wolverine posted:

I used to be the same way but then I realized extension cords suck, and lithium ion battery powered tools are way better than the old ni-cad cordless tools. For some things like drills or screwdrivers cordless is the way to go, but for high draw long use tools like an angle grinder, corded is better.

Oh sure I got a pair of 18v Makitas an impact and drill and a Makita weed whacker. But I still think they're too limited, the weed whacker is barely usable but it is fine for the impact. And now I need to replace the batteries and man I hate spending money, full stop. But I really don't want to spend it on batteries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This has probably been asked before but what's a good tool for crimping these style of connectors, any ole cheap tool or are there better quality ones worth getting?

Also these types

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 9, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for all the tips about crimp tools. Looks like icrimp from amazon is gonna be the best deal. I did however by one of these tools because I needed something to crimp with ASAP and I was curious to try this style of wire stripper:

I have one of these for years, it does not crimp though:

Now if you ask me, as a left handed person, the 2nd one is way better. It's also easier to get into tight confined with it I think. When I held it at the store I didn't really think about it, but when in actual usage I found it was always pointing so I couldn't see what was going on unless I went right handed. So not that happy with the tool, but it did crimp what I needed to get crimped for redoing my rear lights.

I got some frustrating work waiting for me if I want to rewire a fuse to accept incoming power from another place. I don't want to remove the fuse panel entirely that would be too much of a hassle, not everything is disconnectable. So I have to lift up the fuse holder as much as I can and work in the little space now under it. But one wire then splice into another and make a new connection. I can just imagine the frustration already! I am not sure any of these tools would actually work that well in such a cramped space that I imagine I have to work in.

I think maybe I'd be better off to try and do a T-splice like this guy instead of crimping, then tape with vulcanizing tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4b_gSciGIg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I soldered a joint last night instead of crimping it. But I feel it's acceptable since it's "floating" and not exposed to vibrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Someone's selling a used floor jack near me and I am in need of purchasing a bigger floor jack and jackstands right now. Been putting it off...

Anyone have any opinions on this? I can't ID it and the seller is a woman selling her husbands tools who don't know anything. It's pretty large, 1.4m or 4½> feet.

I'm not sure if I should go buy a new one from our harbor freight analog, or some second hand stuff like the above. Problem is it's completely unknown to me what this is, aside from a larger than usual jack. The 3 ton jacks in stores are smaller than this, usually less than a meter long.

e: it might be so large that it won't go under a regular car I realize too, in which case I don't have much use for it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've come to my senses and realized the jack is just way too large to keep around my small shop.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You're tempting me now...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

After doing a lot of comparisons I'm most likely getting this one (english link), as well as their 3 ton jack stands on the basis they're the only ones with an additional safety pin, the other brands are just the one lever.

https://www.biltema.fi/en-fi/car---mc/workshop-equipment/lifting-equipment/car-jacks/low-profile-jack-2500kg--2000044394

Good price, low profile and 510mm lift height, that's more than most.

https://www.biltema.fi/en-fi/car---mc/workshop-equipment/lifting-equipment/axle-stands/axle-stand-3000-kg-pair-2000050380

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Veering back onto the floor jack discussion. I had decided and today I was gonna go into town and buy the floor jack and jackstands.

However someone elsewhere commented that they got and recommended a floor jack that could lift to like 80cm, if you wanted to do work under the car like welding. The one I am buying lifts like 51 cm or 20 inches, 80cm is like 30½ inches. Are those extra 10 inches of height worth going for?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I only used them on a door and also removing dents from a pair of steel hub caps but they held up for that without noticeable wear.

The dollies I believe are cast iron. But don't quote me on that, going off old memories now

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 25, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tested my new floor jack last night and it sure is bigger than my old one:

These rubber pads though. The first lift I attempted I got the beam I was gonna lift on off center and it slipped off before I really had a chance to lift it, fortunately! A closer look showed that the beam is oily and putting the rubber against the oily metal results in a no friction situation. So I decided these things are probably bad outside a specific situation, by removing them I position the beam between the "teeth" on the metal lift pad and this made a rather positive lock, I could pull and shake on the floor jack without it letting go.

I bet you can buy or make your own liftpads for a particular car or lift point if you wanted to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made my own from some stock and a pair of vice grips. Having a lathe is nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My mig welds look pretty terrible too. I actually think I got better looking stick welds. I would like to do some stick welding again but it's an outdoor activity for me.

This was the last thing I stick welded, way back in 2019 now... I welded 99% using 7018s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I'm now a torque wrench owner. Cheapo 20 bucks torque wrench (42-210nm) but I suppose it's better than nothing.

That's 31-155 ft-lb for imperials

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I was looking at one of those brake fluid pressure bleeders myself. I've also heard some say the vacuum based ones are better. So I dunno! The ability to drain all four wheels at once sounds good to me though.

I'm wondering do you stop and fill in fresh brake fluid before the container gets empty to avoid getting air into the system?

Edit:
I also bought one of these pressure sprayers, they're only 5 euros.

I bought one last summer and keep wheel cleaning fluid in it, it's pretty harsh but no problems. So I bought another one and filled it with mineral spirits and some rando oil (gear oil, out of ATF) and I use it to spray things down with oil.

I've killed several squeeze bottles and one pressurized model in aluminum over the years and the common ingredient in all of them has been acetone. Acetone seems to be the absolue worst. Brake cleaner hasn't been a problem at all but acetone murders the seals.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 5, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think we have 250 or 500 mbits I honestly don't remember, but I don't really see a need for more, every single person in the family could be watching youtube with the TV streaming some stupid poo poo and I could be downloading something huge and nobody would notice. I refuse to pay more anyway, 39 euros /month is plenty expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I used my 10 year old 18V makita impact to get the wheel bolts off, I had to work the bolts a good 20 seconds but they came off. I'd already put the car on stands and didn't wanna start wrenching. I am impressed, I mean it's a screwdriver.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Why is it so hard to find these wrenches in 6 point configurations, I mean 12 points work for most stuff but sometimes you really want one of these with 6 points when you don't want to strip a bolt head and a socket is too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think they're pretty nifty. less than 20 bucks for a set. I just wish they where 6 pointed.