Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

InitialDave posted:

I love this thing:

10" adjustable with an over-centre clamp like a mole grip. Clamps up nice and tight so that unlike other adjustables, it doesn't slip off at inopportune moments. One of those things that you think looks like a really dumb idea until you find a use for it.

Holy gently caress, where did you find that awesome tool. That would have come in handy yesterday when i was removing the shock from my SV...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm looking for a halfway decent micrometer. I need to it measure shims on motorcycles, which come in .05mm increments, so it needs to be at least .01mm accurate. I found a cheap digital one on ebay that served me well for about a year, but then it gave up the ghost. Should I just order a couple of new cheap digital ones or is there one that I can go out and buy that'll last me longer? I prefer digital, but could be convinced otherwise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I've amazingly had decent luck with the cheap Chinese mics. I buy 3 at a time, and when they die, I toss 'em. I always have a precision "standard" to check them with (like a shim that you know is .05mm) and they never get out of whack unless abused (dropped).

Yeah, mine get bashed around in my toolbox. I'll probably pick up 3 then, and drop one where I store the bikes, one at mine place as a spare, and one in the toolbox to get abused, unless someone else has a reference to the micrometer to end all micrometers :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any recommendations for Tap and Die kits, and bolt extractor kits? I made the mistake of buying some cheap bolts for my motorcycles and now I have 2 lovely broken bolts. Ideally, cheaper is better, but if I have to spend more I have to spend more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So does anyone have any recommendations besides "Not HF" and "Hardware store"? I was hoping that I could go and look for a fairly decent, cheap brand, or better yet, order it online. Speaking of which...is there a place to order helicoils as well?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Goob posted:

You could always try McMaster Carr. I've used their taps before and they've been good, although it was a few years ago.

Alright, I'm sort of partial to ordering good tools, so I'll suck it up and pay for the decent stuff.

sharkytm posted:

By hardware store, I meant "Vermont American" because most hardware stores carry their tap/dies.

If you are ordering online, SJ Discount tools has good prices on the kits (tap, install tools, and helicoils) and on helicoils alone: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/manufacturers-helicoil.html

^^^ McMaster's prices leave a lot to be desired, but their shipping is dirt cheap, fast, and they have EVERYTHING on earth (usually in stock too).

This is the kit I have. Its OK. Not great, not bad, just OK.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ver21729.html
I didn't pay that, but I got it at a garage sale. It was missing a few taps, so I replaced them from other places.

Thanks for the info. I need to go look at what sizes I need exactly, and then I'll order from them. I also need to pick up some well nuts.

What's the best/easiest way to measure bolts? I've never really had to deal with this before, thanks to always using OEM stuff, but honestly, getting reamed for 10-20x the cost of a bolt because you're getting it from a motorcycle dealership gets really old.

As a graduation gift, a bunch of my friends got together and bought me a big craftsman set. I've had no problems with it so far, and I've been supplementing it with other tools as I've needed them. Thankfully, there's not that many tools that you need to work on motorcycles. :) The biggest ratchet occasionally jumps out under load, but if it were a big deal I'd just go get a new one.

I still lust after my friend's snap on stuff though. I hate working in most other people's garages though, as knowing where everything is and having the right tools is everything...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I don't know if you meant to give that impression, but an 8.8 is not equivalent to a grade 8, it's more like a grade 5. Grade 8 is equivalent to 10.9.

If you want a good general guide to fasteners, Carroll Smith's Nuts, bolts, fasteners and plumbing handbook is very good.

It's because 8.8 is imperial and 8 is metric, correct? I always see the grade 8 markings on japanese motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

McMaster also has a great college scholarship program for children of workers, so I got close to a free education, too.

That's pretty awesome. I'll order from them to support that :)

PBCrunch posted:

I have gone to the local Fastenal a few times. If the young guy is working he will sell me individual nuts and bolts. The older guy makes be buy whole bags though.

Maybe I'm just continually stuck with project-itis, but I don't have a problem buying 25 or even 100 bolts at a time. I always need more of the drat things.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That hammer is nice but the pin punch and handle is really awesome. Too bad I almost never need a pin punch...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is there a recommendation for high quality electrical tape? Generally, need to use it for wrapping wiring harnesses, plus other odds and ends.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I've finally decided it's time for me to get off my lazy rear end and start learning to weld.

From my research, it seems like the best thing to do is learn to TIG weld. My goals are to be able to repair non-vital motorcycle parts first, then learn to build subframes/fairing stays and exhausts, and then finally move up to mounts for engine swaps, with the last step being making my own frames.

I have a reasonable amount of money to spend to start looking for equipment (~$1200, give or take a few hundred as needed, cheaper is better). I know that there are a number of good brands (Lincoln, Miller), but I'm not entirely sure on what I should be looking for for my particular application, nor what additional tools I should have. I'd love to spend hours at a time welding up bike parts, and I do have a 220v plug in the garage for the washer/dryer setup that I can snag.

Basically, what should go in the novice welder's toolkit? What should I be looking for in a machine?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How do these air compressors look?

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2482114603.html
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2529928121.html

I'd be using it for light air tool use, and seating tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks guys. I'll drop the CH guy a line.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Try manually bleeding brakes on a motorcycle with a ratcheting wrench to control the caliber bleed nipple for example.

The real problem is that guns are widely ineffective at slowing a motorcycle down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Does anyone have some recommendations on a nice set of 3/8ths inch drive metric allen keys? Mine are starting to poo poo the bed and as a result I'm stripping way more allen bolts which leads to rage and yelling.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, I had to pound in a Torx head bolt recently and never want to have to deal with that poo poo again, which is why I was looking for a decent set of socket allen keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

The Ryobi is pretty solid. I'm however getting pretty tired having to post and re-post this: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-84...tric+impact+hex

They're expensive, but so far I've failed to break them. Correction: so far it's the only hex-bits I've failed to break.

Seconding the gearwrench impact bit recommendation. I have the 3/8ths drive ones and they are excellent, especially when pulling out old, red locktited from the factory front rotor bolts.