Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Sounds like you could easily become a thousandaire by buying one of everything boltdepot sells and advertising that you actually maintain stock.

bolind posted:

My previous^4 job had a workshop with a very respectable fastener selection, where the mutual understanding was that you could grab whatever you wanted within reason, no questions asked. I really miss that, pity the pay sucked.

Sounds like you just weren't maxing out this benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Akro-Mils is the Kleenex or the Band-Aid of small parts organizers. Probably an 8 on the quality scale, where anything greater than that is bespoke and wildly more expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The problem now is that I need to buy a piece of heavy equipment to use it on...

You could just be the grease fairy, visiting construction sites at night and leaving no zerk unturned.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Usually the guys that realize the tool being light is a feature.

When I was doing work on cargo ships, I bought M12 tools for the form factor of the batteries. I was absolutely blown away by how well they performed next to 18v tools and 240v tools. Being small and light is absolutely a feature, and you don't really give up all that much capability for the size.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is the Bauer angle grinder from Harbor Freight any good, or would I be better off spending twice that to get a Makita for which I already own batteries?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I love my M18 grinder for jobs where the angle grinder is the right tool, but I don't need it for long. Grabbing a battery is quicker and easier than grabbing an extension cord, and if the job isn't going to come even close to running out of one battery, there's no downside.

This is me. I've got a Metabo corded angle grinder and no patience to be tripping over extension cords. I went with Makita because I didn't want to deal with another charger.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Will it lift higher than the Daytona 2 ton? That's the one I have, and I sometimes have trouble getting the tires of the Outback off the ground.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Guy using an account: "I hate accounts!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Buy this and this and some of this.

Make your own drat extension cord exactly how you want.

(You can buy the wire at a local hardware store and not buy 100 feet, and you can buy other plugs if you don't like those - you're looking for a 1-15P (plug/male end) and 1-15R (receptacle/female) end. If you want it even gnarlier, get SJOOW (instead of SOOW, what I linked) cable.)

edit: That might have sounded more flippant than I intended. I asked about extension cords awhile ago and got basically this advice and have been extremely happy with my custom cords ever since.

I thought SOOW was good to 600v, and SJOOW was only good to 300v

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Both of which are perfectly fine and more than OP needs! I just wanted to point out that, of the two, SOOW was most overkill

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've never lived somewhere that had cheap electricity at some point in the day, so I just start the dishwasher as soon as I load it because I know I'll never remember otherwise.

I'd also never remember the name of the dishwasher app, so any hope of Dishes over IP is right out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I went with Milwaukee M12 at work because their batteries are the smallest and their tools are surprisingly powerful. At home I have a mix of Milwaukee M12 where size counts, and Makita 18v where power counts.