Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So my development application for my shed and three decks just got approved, so guess whos shopping for nail guns and an air compressor! :D

Trying to decide between Paslode, Senco and Bostich now, And just how big a compressor I really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im in Aus, so 220v is already standard, and if im particuarly stupid i can get 415v 3 phase out to the shed which opens all sorts of wonderful possibilities!

Ended up with a 9CFM compressor with a 2.5HP motor and a 50L tank. Its not a huge tank, only around 13 Gallon, but the 30 gallon units are around $900 and this was only $460. I do have a trick up my sleeve involving a pressure test expired 90L LPG cylinder from a car which would give me 140L of air capacity which should be ok.

And i bought a Paslode F350S framing nailer. Figured you couldnt go wrong with a paslode gun and when it was a $550 framing nailer that had a bottle of lube ($30) and a 30m air hose ($100) on sale for $419, i couldnt go wrong!

Except the air hose was out of stock and needs to come in, and i didnt buy any nails, so i cant even shoot anything with it today :(

The compressor being on wheels is good, because it means I can transport it for when i build poo poo for friends to help justify the cost of the nailgun, but also be bolted down in a lean too off the back of the shed to supply that. Whole sheds getting plumbed for shop air too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

One thing i like bout milwaukee is the batteries have the capacity gauge on them, not the tool. Means you dont wind up battling your way to a far corner of your ceiling, drilling one hole and your "Full" battery dies. Saves you un needed wear on your tools throwing them in frustration :P

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ive got a cheap pneumatic grease gun- Thing will shoot a jet of grease across the workshop if you aim it right and the tips empty!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

dont underestimate the amount of current a battery can dump out either- The winch on my car draws 550A at full load and my optima yellowtop doesnt even flinch punching that out.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive just got a cheap Pneumatic grease gun- cost me $45 in the land down under and does the job

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Charge Ti Here. Used it so much im going to have to send it off to get the blades reground because they are hosed and the files busted in half from a big arsed jacobs chuck falling off a drill onto it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've also been known to carry both my charge Ti and a core on my belt together when doing stuff that's going to require two pliers- like fencing repairs or wiring work.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You will want to clarify that you live in Australia LAF, cos otherwise every man and his dog will recommend you trawl craigslist for some old iron like a southbend/lagun/etc etc....

Old iron machinery DOES NOT EXIST in Aus, and anything that has been imported or is local manufacture is mega beer tickets...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-metal+lathe/k0?fromSearchBox=true

its terrible trying to find any good old machinery here... I watch Abom79 videos with massive jealousy...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

For that price you could probably look at the small Hare and Forbes stuff too

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L685

I need a drill press too... so im just going to buy a Mill... You can drill a hole with a mill, but you cant mill with a drill press :v:

Edit: Even their next size up is probably not a bad machine either- little more capacity too

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L687

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Rotary hammers with quad tip cutters are god mode for masonry drilling. Piece of rebar in there? gently caress YOUR REBAR! IMMA COMING THROUGH!"

Ive got a Milwaukee M18 SDS rotary hammer and its awesome, even in plain chisel mode it spalls concrete off like a hot knife through a rib cage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Slightly sideways, but considering how much time i spend cooking, i bought myself a new tool for that.

Shun classic 10" chefs knife. This thing is absolutely god mode dicing onions.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ive got 8 of the Pierlight equivilents in my shop- 30,000 lumens and the only place theres a shadow is directly underneath the car!

In other new, Went shopping today for a 12T hydraulic press- Couldnt find one and the only ones in stock were 20 tonners at well over what i wanted to pay for once.

So i bought a new torque wrench instead!

http://www.norbar.com/en-au/product...id/309/id/11193

Ive got one at work already and its so good i decided to buy one for myself!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive also heard good things bout AEG gear too.

So just what do you do when your engine bends your 560kg (1200lb) rated engine crane to the point if you knock out the wood blocks it drops the harmonic balanced by a foot?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

To be 100% fair that IS a 4.2L 6cyl turbo diesel with a cast iron block, cast iron 24v head and a fully girdled crank. And the girdle is cast iron too.

It's still a lovely engine stand tho. LaF called it, super cheap. Mate bought it, not me. I'm just the poor bastard who has to wedge that engine into his car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Local tool shop had a sale on! So i went and got myself one of these!

http://www.unimig.com.au/catalogue_product.asp?product=1017&category=11&subcategory=27

40A Plasma Cutter. Cleancut 10mm, sever 12mm. WHY DIDNT I BUY ONE OF THESE YEARS AGO?

Best bit? $650

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Compound mitre saw- I've got a makita at home and it means I can cut stuff thats about 200mm wide at up to a 60 degree angle

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ionn posted:

I have been thinking about getting a right-angle impact driver thing, to be able to apply battery-powered toolness to those hard-to-reach bolts. I already have drill/screwdriver and impact driver with batteries and charger from Milwaukee (M18 fuel whatever), so those are the ones I'm mainly looking at (also they happen to be slightly on sale here). I'm thinking mostly as a smaller, more nimble complement to the large impact driver (a reasonably beefy 1/2" drive one).

Does anyone here have/use this kind of tool (Milwaukee or otherwise)? If I'm car wrenching, how much of a quality-of-life improvement could I expect over a regular old ratchet socket wrench?

They also come in 1/4" hex (for bits) or 3/8" square socket drive. Spontaneously 3/8" square seems like the way to go, but I don't really know. Would probably mostly use this for hex-head bolts in the 8-14mm range. Thoughts on that?

For reference, the kits are Milwaukee part numbers 2667 and 2668. I'm mostly looking at the "bare tools", which seem to be either 266x-something, or BRAIW-0 / BRAID-0.

We bought the M12 right angle impact wrench a while ago for doing this engine conversion on the landcruiser and it is seriously BRILLIANT. Its worth getting into the M12 range purely because of how small it is and how much punch it packs for its size. We paid $110 (AU pricing) for the wrench itself and about $70 for a 2AH M12 battery, but already had the M12/M18 dual station charger.

The M12 gets about 30ft/lb of torque out of it so you can wind in little nuts with impunity.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I just bought their little M18T LED torch on clearance for $40 today as a bare skin. Little bastard is bright and god knows how long it will last on a 4.0AH battery if the big lantern will do 24hrs on low on a 4.0...

Also bought a $100 pair of Knipex retaining ring pliers today cos im so sick of loving around with circlip pliars on retaining rings, getting them half off and having them pop back on. 20 times in a row, or getting them 90% off only to have them slip and fire the retaining ring off into an alternate dimension never to be seen again.

Its like god mode for retaining rings. I had the thing in my hand before I even uttered the first profanity! I can see a VERY expensive Knipex habit forming...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

if you dont mind industrial deafness a needle scaler would strip that poo poo off quick smart

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

God drat tool shop "Garage sales"

Bottom box was $300, RRP $499 cos they had 4 left and were an old model. Top box was $259 RRP $330 on sale during the clearout.

Its nice to have tools not in piles any more.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't it "The Drawer of Jeremy"?

It may be, I shall have to check and it might need a new label

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its under the stanley omnicorporation now, but for decades was one of the high end tool manufacturers in Australia that was founded in 1931.

Used to be if you busted one, they'd replace it no questions asked, even through outright abuse and no matter how old but that went out the window when they were bought out.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Wasnt it figured out that Panther Piss is the god of rust breaker sprays?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Theres an Easter fair on at the moment, and there was a used tool seller there!

The little pliers are Knipex internal circlip pliers, RRP here in AU is about $50, got em for $15 and the Mitutoyo mag base is NIB. RRP is $140-150, got it for $70 cash!

Fair is on for another 4 days and he's got all sorts of Starret, Mitutoyo and various british micrometers and dial indicators, a metric boatload of taps and drills and poo poo and a pair of massive Sandvik Coromant carbide tool holders for a lathe for under $100 each- One would be nearly 2" shank!

Im going to spend so much money...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Jesus christ it literally is a circular saw blade... I was expecting to see a 4" cutter from a horizontal mill which is actually designed to cut metal!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

:magical:

If you tried that in Australia, Safework would have you bent over removing the contents of your bank accounts violently before throwing your stupid arse in prison, ESPECIALLY if someone got injured by it!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you only have 1 full sized charger buy the kit, otherwise bare tool.

Anyone got one of the 6 point charger stations? :v:

We've got the Milwaukee 6 pack chargers at work and they're good and bad. If your a tradesman that takes a dozen batteries to site each day and uses em, then comes home and slaps them all on charge overnight they're brilliant. If your a home gamer and only have 3-4 batteries but are using all of them at once on multiple tools, they're not so good because they're sequential chargers- they'll charge one battery, then the next and so on, so if your like me and have 3-4 tools on the go at once and dont want to constantly swap batteries, your better off with two chargers cos then you can charge two batteries simultaneously.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sparkies like em for putting tapped holes in enclosures.

Theyre certainly nowhere near as accurate as a drill and spiral flute tap, but if your just running in a machine screw to hold in a fuse holder, they're easier than getting a tap holder in there.

Or you can just go full sloppy mechanics and use a step drill to bore the hole and then drive a standard NPT tap into your intake maifold with a loving milwaukee tek driver....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've finally worn out my poor Milwaukee impact driver. It's one of the original ones- pre brushless, pre fuel, old school and it's probably put in about 50,000 screws over its life and got to the point where it was taking 30 seconds to drive a 10Gx50mm decking screw through 19mm particleboard flooring into a pine joist on a fresh charged 4AH battery.

And two of my 3.0AH batteries no longer have enough capacity to let the circular saw finish a cut through a 1500mm long 17mm mdf sheet so I needed some new batteries.

Wound up picking up a kit from the local tool shop here in Adelaide that's got two 5.0AH batteries, the M12/M18 rapid charger, fuel hammer drill and then new fuel surge hydraulic impact driver for $650. On their own the components of the kit would cost about $1100 so a drat good steal.

The new hydraulic driver is a beast- hits like the hand of God and it's quiet as frig. I swear my M18 impact gun with a screw driver bit wouldn't drive screws as hard or fast.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The mapp pro/ oxy kits are drat good for a little hobby kit.

Oxy propane is also really good too, and means you can use a BBQ bottle rather than having to lease an acetylene bottle as well. Doesn't get QUITE as hot as oxy acetylene but unless your cutting big bits of THICK steel your not going to notice.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Generally ones that are intended for the transport industry come on sale from time to time and are sooo much better than the cheap lovely ones from China.

I've got Beaver branded ones here (dunno if they're an AU only thing or global) but ive got em in 75mm x 6m 2500kg, 35mm x 6m 1000kg and 25mm x 4m 500kg ratings. I prefer em cos they have a hook at keeper rather than just a hook which tends to fall off when your on the other side of the trailer trying to tighten the bastards up.

That and the ratchet assemblies arent made from recycled milo tins and wont bend as soon as you put some load on them.

For just attaching small things to a roof rack or something like that, Fasty Straps are my go to strap of choice. You can get em STUPID tight without too much effort.

http://fasty.com.au/

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Work just bought me the Milwaukee 3/4" M18 impact gun. Things got something stupid like 1180ft/lb of undo torque!

We're contemplating using it to see how tight we can get the lug nuts on the bosses car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bolind posted:

I *need* a picture of that gun.

Thats next to its little brother the 1/4" tek gun...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gently caress me... I paid $649 for the M18 Brushless drill, Surge hydraulic 1/4" impact driver, M12/18 rapid charger and 2x 5.0AH batteries here in Aus, ON SALE!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Band-it Clamps are an alternative option. But we use them mostly for fire hoses and poo poo like that that you never want to come off cos you need an angle grinder to remove em normally.

https://www.band-it-idex.com/

I finally got to use the big 3/4" drive Milwaukee rattle gun to change a tyre on our bobcat at work- 3/4" wheel studs. They're normally done up to about 250 ft/lb and rusted on. This thing took em off like they were the nuts holding down a rocker cover, and putting them back on I could see the rim distorting as the nuts pulled down hard! :stare:

Its not THAT much bigger than the 1/2" drive hi-torque version either.... im almost tempted to get one for myself and a good 3/4" --> 1/2" adapter....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

I'm pretty sure the spec on those is like 160 ft-lbs, though. I've never needed more than a 1/2" impact to get them off, and I've worked on Bobcats that are maintained by farmers.

We're government. We're like farmers but the operators dont rely on or own the machine. If it breaks, they just walk away.

Normally lug nuts are done up by an 'operator' with the IR 1/2" air impact until it stops ugga dugging....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Milwaukee make a really nice M18 rotary hammer thats not hideously expensive, and has the bonus of being able to lock out the rotary action and just use the hammer action as a light weight demo hammer- really good at adjusting concrete to fit poo poo.

And if you havent tried pruning blades in a recip saw yet, my GOD they're good. I take mine camping now and they'll happily chew their way through 10" diameter logs without flinching.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Link to some good ones? Milwaukee's torch blades impressed me when cutting out bushing shells.

http://www.diablotools.com//products?c=Reciprocating_Blades&material=Pruning

As per usual, Diablo's blades are pro grade. I've used em to cut up 100yr old railway sleepers and they're still sharp as poo poo afterwards and keep on trucking. You'd be lucky to cut up a single sleeper into foot long lengths with a chainsaw before having to sharpen them again

Milwaukee also have em, but i've never tried theirs before.

https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/accessories/cutting/48001301

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well it took us 4 years at work (government!) to finally kill a milwaukee M18 tool, and that was a 1/2" drill thats had such abuse as:

Boring 30 16mm holes through 10mm steel plate while laying on its side in builders sand with the fan blowing grains of sand into your face.

Being left in a wheelbarrow outside in the rain overnight

Being dropped off a roof. Twice.

Being used with a wire brush attachment to remove mineral buildup off bore pipe threads

Being thrown in the back of a ute and bounced around bush tracks all day slamming into the tray sides

Eventually the motor gave up the ghost. Bet it was just a set of brushes away from working again, but by that stage the gearbox was crunchy, the chuck didnt grip properly and the new fuel stuff was out so we just upgraded it instead