Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I rotate my tires at every oil change so I might as well just put the car up on stands right at the start. If you don't rotate tires or do it on a different interval then might as well give it a shot. Just make sure the ramps are the right size for your vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Kilersquirrel posted:

Would a small 3-gallon compressor be adequate to run an impact wrench in short bursts(i.e. just breaking things loose on high-torque fasteners rather than disassembling the entire front end of a car with it)?

I use a small compressor (5 gallons I think) for smaller jobs when I don't feel like dragging out the big 240v one. Works fine for removing lug nuts, axel nuts, or whatever. I carried the compressor, hose, and gun downstairs last week to blast loose the sacrificial anode on our dead (27 year old) waterheater (the rod dissolved completely and the nut was rusted on solid) so it would drain faster. Worked great.

Crank the regulator up as high as it will go and use the biggest diameter and shortest hose you can.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The little pancake compressors are small and cheap enough to have around even if space is at a premium. I had one in my apartment and used it fairly frequently. Tire inflation, dust removal, air mattress inflation, brad nailer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you don't need the full lifting height of a conventional two post lift then the MaxJax seems pretty popular on Garage Journal and such. I'm planning on getting one of those or some other smaller lift when I get a house unless I get lucky and find a place with a large garage that has very high ceilings.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You probably still want some type of backup sump pump if you're not putting in a standby generator. A wheeled generator sitting in the garage won't help much if your not at home and, depending on where you live and your weather, it doesn't take much time to have a flooded basement.

If you've got city water then there are water powered backup sump pumps which will work so long as you've got water pressure. Battery based ones are a pain but my parents have had one for at least 15 years now and it's always worked when needed. They are using a big deep cycle battery with a normal trickle charger (the original battery and charger have long since died) and check it frequently.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why twist first?! I always tin the wires then overlap and apply heat. Having the wires twisted together isn't going to help and is only going to prevent solder from getting in between the two ends.

Not sure of the diagram's suggestion but it looks like a crude Western Union splice. That splice is for solid core wire and the twists are for mechanical strength with the solder assisting in the connection. It's NASA approved/required.

http://makezine.com/2012/02/28/how-to-splice-wire-to-nasa-standards/

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I finally stopped dragging my feet and got a Leatherman Wave like a month ago. I've used it literally every single day since for some miscellaneous task and will never be without a multitool again.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Projects are just a way of justifying the purchase of tools you wanted to buy anyway.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

To be fair a bribe will get you pretty far in Manhattan as well but it will need to be a much bigger bribe.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That is pretty nifty, although I'm still planning on a max jax lift for my garage.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I'm partial to the Hakko FX888D. $99, and it's a great iron

I've got one these as well and have no complaints.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Finally found an excuse to buy ratchet, any opinions on the Gearwrench 120xp?

I have the 1/4" fixed head one and the 3/8" flex head and like them both.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got 8 of them in my garage and am happy with them. I'll probably get two more when I build a real workbench to have some task lighting.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You hit the switch and they are instantly on and you don't have to keep feeding them ballasts.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You can get a perfectly good heat gun for $15-20 and they don't last forever so might as well just buy one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

literally a fish posted:

And my favorite product of theirs, the Maelstrom MMU-X3R which is very similar to the MMR-X in functionality except instead of having a single XM-L2 emitter it has three of them and a peak output of 2000 lumens running off a single similarly modified 26650 li-ion that can, as you might have guessed, also be recharged through microUSB.

I bought this the last time you flashlight info dumped and it's awesome. Bright as gently caress and I didn't need to buy a special charger. Even the low setting is pretty bright and they claim some crazy long run time on low.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rotary hammer drills are amazing and I'll never use a non rotary one again. I bought a makita hr2475 and I cannot believe how easily it goes through concrete. 2" deep 1/2" hole takes like 5 seconds max. I actually need to use the depth guide because of how quick it goes. It also makes a pretty convincing jack hammer with a chisel bit and the hammer only setting.

There are also normal 3 jaw chucks with a sds shank if you need/want the option of using it as a regular (huge) drill

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

WD-40. You can join the dozens of us that actually use that stuff correctly.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CloFan posted:

I like my Yost.

Me too. I've got a Yost 865-DI 6.5" reversible one which is supposedly made in the US but given the price I'm not so sure. Either way it's heavy and the screw turns smoothly. Here it is half way installed.

3/4" plywood sandwiching the mediocre workbench the PO left me (can't wait to replace that) ended up being pretty solid.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you buy the more expensive membership but don't spend enough for it to pay for itself then they will refund you the difference (you have to request it though). The advantage of this is that they don't pester you at checkout about upgrading and if you end up buying more than expected you may save some money next renewal.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a Aircat 1150 (1/2" supposedly ~1300 ft-lb) impact and sheared off a lug stud due to a cross threaded lug nut. I was using a little compressor at like 90psi too. 2500 ft-lb sounds equal parts insane and amazing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I'd argue that most people do a lot more cutting dimensional lumber to length than breaking down sheet goods or ripping.
This has definitely been my experience. I use my miter saw all the time and occasionally use a circular saw. There are times when I would like to have a table saw but they are rare and when I read reviews and look at prices it's just not worth it for the 2x4 and plywood projects that I do. If I was doing actual woodworking projects a table saw would be the first thing on my list. I am probably going to buy a track saw soon to make my plywood cuts straighter.

quote:

If space is a concern, a miter saw and a track saw take up a lot less space than a table saw.
A good miter saw and track saw also cost about the same as an acceptable table saw.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Not saying you shouldn't get 6AH batteries but they're probably massive overkill for hobby stuff. I got the Makita brushed 1/2 drill and brushed 1/4 driver combo with a pair of 3AH batteries and I charge them every month or two when I remember to. I think I've run the impact driver low like twice and swapped in the other battery to finish whatever I was doing.

I got a Makita 36v string trimmer recently and it's pretty awesome. It's the first string trimmer I haven't wanted to throw in a dumpster and then set on fire so the bar wasn't set very high but I actually kinda enjoy trimming now.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 19, 2016

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got this lansky sharpener which works pretty well. Little fiddly and not nearly as precise as the $150+ ones but for the price I'm happy with the job it does on pocket knives. Make sure to get a leather strop and some compound. Stropping is cheap and quick but makes a big difference.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

El Jebus posted:

What is the default pair of automatic wire strippers? I was hoping I could get one made in the US but that appears out of the question these days.

Edit: These bad boys seem like they tick all the boxes. Anyone use them?
That style works fine but I've found them to be a bit fiddly. I like this style better
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OQ21CA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482007594&sr=8-1

Harbor freight has the 44" top box on sale for $249. The normal coupon price is $279 and the current Super coupon price is $259. I now have a few empty drawers again and might just make it through 2017 without having to buy a second tool chest.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I had success with a little 8 gallon air compressor for just doing lug nuts but looking at amazon that's pretty much in the 200-300 range like you mentioned. My local craigslist usually has lots of little air compressors that would probably work in the $50-100 range.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

The Makita Gold impact bits are loving great, however.

Those things are legit. The finish on my first #2 phillips bit is a little worn and I've had the set for about half the time I've owned the impact driver. In the first half of that drivers life (about the same number of screws) I broke about 6 of the Milwaukee bits and threw out a few others because they had worn down too much and started stripping screw heads.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I definitely remember seeing one in AI at some point and all over the internet for a while. They're praised for how quiet they are but are definitely not intended to run any high CFM tools

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

always be closing posted:

This looks like another opportunity to recommend the god-like Kroil, by Kano. Best penetrating oil I have ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F09CEA?psc=1&smid=A26RBB5XP2LWJC

You can actually buy it for a rediculously reduced price direct from Kano labs:

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHiWq_mSMiFnABCvg9h16kOyQe7m0DBmR1j0LznbDQi0aAls-8P8HAQ

That website is adorable and/or :radcat:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Commodore_64 posted:

My brother the spyder talked me into yet another tool deal, bought one of these for my new house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AH1IIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

185 bux really ain't bad for a USA made 6.5" vise!

I've got that same vise! Amazon informs me that I bought it Feb 2016 and I haven't broken it yet. It's been extremely useful and is one of my favorite tools.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I recently picked up a Ryobi 18v cordless trimmer with auto feed and it's fantastic. Definitely enough juice to do my modest yard.
I've got the 36v Makita, which is total overkill for my yard but I got a deal on it, and I will never go back to a gas trimmer. gently caress dicking around with carbs, starting fluid, pull starters, and oil/gas mixtures when I can just slide the batteries in and push the on button.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have the same one, and I love it. It has a bleed valve button which is super useful, and the rubber shock-housing has held up to a lot of toss-it-in-the-console abuse offroading while airing up/down etc.
Same experience here. It's very consistent and I don't want to use one without the bleed valve anymore. Especially on my motorcycle with dual rotors making it awkward to access the valve stem it's nice to just fill the tire a bit over and then bleed to down to the correct pressure.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the 44" cabinet with the top box and am really happy with it so I'll third that suggestion. Both pieces are on sale pretty often so I wouldn't pay full price unless you're in a big hurry HF coupon database

um excuse me posted:

Gonna second the 44". Really good. Lost my dang keys though.
I haven't tried but you can probably impression those lovely locks in a few seconds and effectively have a key again. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...id=7913O71EZU8H

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 9, 2017

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

I had the same problem for years and honestly the solution was to get a nice all in one toolset that comes in a case purpose-built to hold it. I got the kit Costco sells for $99 ($69 on sale sometimes) but I think that's discontinued. There are plenty of similar kits though--anything around 200 pieces is probably going to be good enough (like this one for example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Mechanics-Tool-Set-200-Piece-DWMT75000/206510555 ).
For another one of those 200ish piece sets, I got this Crescent branded one for $78 a bit ago. The tools are all reasonable to good quality but the quality control was a bit lacking since I had to massage the anvil on the 1/2 ratchet a bit in order to actually be able to put sockets on it.
Pretty much every kit I looked at had the same problem though, I really don't need 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch socket sets for my trunk kit. Everytime I tried to price out a DIY kit it was going to be a lot more expensive to have fewer tools so I just bought one of the kits. I'm going to supplement it with some cheap vise grips (Menards clearance, $9 for a pair!) and probably a breaker bar.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He's probably playing to his audience. If only a small number of his viewers are even aware that materials can be hard/soft let alone have differing levels then why bother doing more than hitting it with a standard file

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was the other one with that kit. I think the quality is actually pretty good with the exception of one of the ratchets getting past QC when it shouldn't have. That was easy enough for me to fix but I'm sure Amazon would have replaced it if I asked

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have a Miller digital infinity and if I up the sensitivity a bit it will trigger on sunlight. It has enough sensitivity range to trigger on office lighting even

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have this and it's worked fine the 5-10 times I've used it. The only negative is that it sucks air in from around the bleeder into the vacuum line which doesn't have any impact on the bleed quality but does make it hard to know when to stop since the line is always full of bubbles.

I was going to get/make a pressure bleeder but I heard too many stories of trouble with the reservoir adapters and lost interest

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the input on the press! I'm fairly confident I'll be needing it again in the next few years on other cars, so I should probably just buy one since everything I'm seeing suggests about 50$ for this task. Is the HF 20 ton decent, or should I be looking at something else?

The HF 20 ton seems to be well regarded. It's on my list to pick up at some point. Remember to never pay full price for anything from HF http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/20+TON+SHOP+PRESS

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Those little hammer drills aren't going to do much more than a non hammer drill. If you really want to put holes in concrete/rock get or rent an actual rotary hammer drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

They're pretty nice for piloting small Tapcons, which is a common homeowner thing to do.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah that's bullshit. You won't find a commercial electrician without a small hammer drill, even if they also have a big hilti rotary hammer. For the exact reason above stated - they work great with 1/4 masonry bits for anchor points.

Which you can do just fine with a regular drill. The only time you need actual hammering action (which those little 'hammer' drills can't do) is when you hit a rock.

I've flipped my 'hammer' drill back and forth between normal and hammer when drilling through cinderblock and the only difference is the sound it makes. The hammer action on my rotary hammer drill makes a huge difference though.

e: AvE seems rather impressed with the Harbor Freight Earthquake XT 1/2" cordless impact.

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 30, 2017