Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

CornHolio posted:

It's...it's beautiful.

If you encounter a bolt that somehow can't be removed with that beast you can always take your frustration out by beating someone to death with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
GARARRRRRRRGHAGH Goddamn you Harbor Freight, I'm in desperate need of a larger tool chest.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't know what to do with my old 3-drawer chest...

Night table stand. If Liz Miles does it you know its cool:

http://hotrod.automotive.com/67200/hrdp-0612-1968-chevy-camaro/photos7-0.html

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 5, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
An angle grinder with a cut-off wheel will be the fastest and most accurate. And what's going on with the band saw? Tin snips will do for sheet metal, anything thicker can be cut with the cut-off wheel.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Have you guys seen the new Snap-On 17mm?

More like Snap-Off

:smug:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Not sure if this was mentioned already but I need a cordless drill for work. Nothing too extreme, it'll mostly be for undoing screws/bolts and the occasional drilling through sheet metal.

Brands to look at/stay away from?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

RealKyleH posted:

Anyone ever use this harbor freight wire stripper?

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-automatic-wire-stripper-42101.html

$6 is a smokin deal as comparable ones from ideal are $25-$115(MilSpec, lol)

I think this is the absolute best kind of stripper for the stuff any of us would use it for. Sadly, these arent sold in the store near me.

I have a somewhat similar style one from Princess Auto and it's made wiring almost fun:

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/trade-tools/tubing-tools/2990264-automatic-adjustable-heavy-duty-wire-stripper-cutter-crimper

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Similar in operation. The wire lies on the platform perpendicular to the handles; the left jaw holds the wire while the right jaw strips the insulation, pulls it off the wire all in one stroke and then resets.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If any fellow canucks are looking for tools Canadian Tire has some good deals this week. I picked up a Mastercrapcraft drill press and I have to figure out what I'm going to do for a stand. Any suggestions?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
They have ones that are made of solid rubber now, no more lovely leaky inner tubes.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Found this bad boy while dumpster diving

Campbell Hausfeld Cast Iron Series
VS401400AJ
11 Gallon
5.5 @ 40psi
4.6 @ 90psi
125 psi max

No belt guard or handle, drain cock needs to be replaced and there's water sloshing around. It turns on and runs though, might need a new regulator at worst.

Worth keeping to run an impact or air ratchet?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Broke my 1/2" drive breaker bar trying to unbolt a caliper bracket, website says its rated for 350 ft/lbs...

Does Princess Auto still do over counter exchanges without a receipt?

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 27, 2012

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Found the receipt! The exchange was a breeze.

It didn't really make any noise at all, I thought I loosened the bolt and was all "oh boy! " until I took a look. 15 Canadian winters will take a toll, the bleeder screws have pretty much fossilized into the caliper.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
For you Canagoons Canadian tire have a combo with both SAE and metric flex head gear wrench and stubby wrench sets for $75.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Splizwarf posted:

I disagree; those suck too, especially for something nasty like a seatbelt bolt. Find a set of impact Torx sockets, they're indestructible.

This, I broke the bit piece free on a cheap Allen key socket. For small bolts you'll be fine with whatever, I'd upgrade if you deal with anything larger.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If you're just doing oil changes then ramps are the way to go.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Sockington posted:

A quick google search gives the picture:

Looks like a string of those wheels from a brake line cutter.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Here in Canada there's no limit on blade length, you just can't carry a knife for defence purposes and it can't be a switchblade or gravity lock. Although I'm not about to show a cop how I can lock my knife with a wrist flick or pass off a Ka-Bar as a box cutter.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Any digital multimeter recommendations? My Mastercrap meter is getting worse and I guess I should pony up for a decent one since I do use it daily.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The sets that Canadian Tire sells are Gear Wrench branded; they have the stubby, regular and flex head versions. They come on sale every so often, I think I got my 14 piece flex head SAE and Metric sets for $60?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

DJ Commie posted:

My mom makes Mid-century Modern miniature furniture and would love to see that stuff.

Whoa, hold up. Two of my favourite things combined? Can you link me to any of her work?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Galler posted:

I realized I didn't even have a 1/4 ratchet and all my 3/8ths are total poo poo so I decided to fix that with some 120 tooth flex head GearWrench ratchets. These things are wonderful :allears: No play in the mechanism and the slightest turn engages a tooth.

You had me at 120 tooth flex head. Just placed my order, so long lovely Craftsman ratchets!

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Cakefool posted:

900lbft? Thanks for reminding me why a battery impact is a waste of money :(

Ingersoll Rand has a cordless one that's rated at 780 lb/ft and 1100lb/ft "nut busting torque", whatever that means.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Tamir Lenk posted:

Sup Mini buddy?

Jacking up an old-school Mini can be a PITA. The best points are on the subframe, but the front crossbar is angled. THe rear subframe is pretty easy to work with.

For working under the front, however, fear not. Make yourself a jacking block.

:eyepop: Whaaaaat

I'll have to make myself one, I've just been using a 2x4 across the subframe or ramps.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been using the 12V Makita combo at work for a couple of years now and no issues at all. The compact size is helpful inside vehicle interiors and they've been powerful enough for what I use them for.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone opine on Homak tool storage? Northern Tool has some Homak boxes (Pro Series and H2Pro) that are a little more expensive than the Harbor Freight standard, but they seem a bit nicer too.

My Homak chest from Costco is still going strong a couple years later, ball bearing slides, drawer liners, gas struts on the lid and decent gauge metal. Only issue is that the drawers don't lock that well but for the price I can't complain.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Dumb or ingenius way to clean injectors?

https://youtu.be/rUUgR94drxg

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Gear Wrench has tools that fit into that mid range, in general the stuff made in Taiwan is better quality. The higher quality HF stuff can be decent too.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 6, 2015

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Pulled the trigger and ordered a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench, will post videos of me loosening rust belt fasteners.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Things might have gotten out of hand:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

warcake posted:

Is that the new 3/8 fuel in the box there?

let me know how it is I was thinking of picking one up for work, I've heard it shits on the snap on one.

It's the new 2nd gen in 1/2". I haven't had the chance to use it yet but it's seriously compact, almost the size of the M12 impact but with 220 lb/ft.

http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-impact-driver-compact-wrenches-gen2/

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
A 12V 1/4" impact is perfect for disassembling/reassembling car interiors, I used a Makita one at work for years. But if you have access to air I wouldn't bother.

Get a heated Milwaukee hoodie instead :haw:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

JIS screwdriver score from Princess Auto! I took one look and promptly put them all in my cart.

2 Super Cushion, one Dual Tone and one Crystal.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

the spyder posted:

Check out PB Swiss. I'm actually not aware of my sets that come in cases anymore. Maybe she could use a small tool bag with other common tools? Adjustable wrench, hammer, nippers, pliers, ect.

Only the finest tools for mumsy. The Insider isn't tooooo bad price wise:

https://www.amazon.com/PB-Insider-Pocket-Tool-Screwdriver/dp/B00312M0DY/

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

My mom has complained to me that she does not have a full set of screwdrivers and has asked me to get her one for Christmas. I'd like one that comes in a nice case (I think they get lost when they aren't organized). She likes the classic Craftsman-style clear acetate handles, not big rubber ones. Anyone have a good idea where to get something like that?

Wera is on sale on Amazon, something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05051024001-Kraftform-Bitholding-Screwdriver/dp/B001HSNHM2

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I really like my Nitecore and Fenix flashlights, great build quality and cheaper than the bigger competitors. I daily a Fenix E12 (130 lumens from one AA battery) and use a Nitecore P12 for work.

It's hard to find a light with a good spread in brightness modes and intuitive UI/button layout.

My Milwaukee M18 work light has seen a lot of use too, with the 5AH battery it just lasts forever.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 8, 2017

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

What's the recommended cordless impact for lug nuts and such? I bought some shitter HF one some years back that kind of works but by the 4th wheel it's dying. Currently, I don't have any cordless tool loyalty since I don't own any chargers or batteries except a Ryobi trimmer that my wife bought. :v:

The Milwaukee M18 compact puts out 220 ft/lb which is more than enough for wheels. This is coming out next month, almost the same size as the compact impact but twice the torque:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2860-22

Model: Milwaukee 2860-22 (kit), Milwaukee 2860-20 (bare tool)
450 ft-lbs Fastening Torque
600ft-lbs Nut-Busting Torque
RPM: 2400
IPM: 3000
Length: 6.7-inches
Weight (w/ XC5.0 battery): 5.3lbs

Ughhhh this would fit perfectly between the compact impact and the 1000FT/LBS HIGH TORQUE IMPACT WRENCH.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Has anyone ever used a Turbine setup to paint?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaJnjfYUXSY

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hvlp-turbine-paint-systems.529675/

It sounds perfect for anyone looking to paint in their own shop: Little overspray, uses very little paint, no need for an air compressor setup, professional quality paint job for $500.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 28, 2017

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

Looking into tool boxes. I have the cheap harbor freight box below that's actually older and has a few more drawers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/27-in-8-drawer-black-roller-cabinet-2-pc-combo-63026.html

Then some hodgepodge mix of boxes (lower, mid, and top) that don't match size or color that my dad found at yard sales or I got as gifts that look lovely. I hate how it all looks though I don't mind the HF box (non BB slides, it's still fine) except the textured finish. Cool stickers do not stick to textured finishes. :rice: I'm looking for something that I can fit all my tools into in one box instead of two smaller ones since tools are overflowing out of my 2 boxes.

So I'm thinking about picking up this husky box from HD, or something like this CL box. Thoughts? The husky is about as much as I'd even consider spending.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-HTC5206-HMT5212/205431577

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/6168990569.html

It's for home use, I'm not a pro and just need something decent and not $nap on quality/price.

I picked up the Husky 52 recently and it's a lot of storage for what you're paying. The drawers aren't the deepest and the full length middle drawer isn't quite tall enough for my socket holders but other than that it's great. HD has a couple of tool benches and a new 36" chest that are worth checking out.

Otherwise the US General chests from Harbor Freight are your best bet, the 44" is the best bang for your buck and you can find coupons for all of them on HFQDB.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on rollaway toolboxes?

Harborfreight 44" is the best bang for your buck, the whole US General line is pretty heavy duty for the price. The higher end Husky benches are good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The only issue with those toolsets is that you might be stuck with not so great quality tools or a bunch of sizes you don't need. A tool roll might be the way to go if you want to customize what you're carrying:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/socket-roll-new#/

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLC-1173-Custom-Leather-Craft-32-Pocket-Socket-Tool-Roll-Up-Pouch-Organizer/271394587275