Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I am not the biggest shill for Ryobi-branded tools since I use them all day for work, but Home Depot has a pretty killer deal for batteries right now. 2 pack of the regular 4 amp hour batteries with a charger for $99, plus a free tool from a list which can also be another, different 2 4ah battery pack.

4 large tool batteries for $25 apiece is real good.

Splitting hairs, these are the regular output 4ah batteries and not the high output ones - it’s kinda snake oil between the two IMO. If you want a free tool instead of the battery avoid their fine knife, I’ve had two of those cheapo ones die before my boss caved and bought the more expensive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

kastein posted:

I barely ever use my Ryobi 18v cordless angle grinder but when I do use it it's because nothing else will do the job without stringing hundreds of feet of extension cords or dragging a generator with me.
That’s totally it. I use a cordless angle grinder for work on people’s roofs or exterior walls, rarely do I need more than one 4ah battery for the hole I’m cutting. It beats running all the electrical cord and picking it back up 10 minutes later

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’m about to start pulling and working on my first engine, a four cylinder from a Mighty Max, and as far as engine stands go is the $100 option from Harbor Freight good enough or should I be dropping a few more dollars on something better?

I have an engine lift I can borrow, but my buddy’s stand is occupied for the foreseeable future.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for all the feedback, I feel way more confident with the budget stand now.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’m late to the party but I recently picked up the pictured Klein Tools ratcheting crimper and it’s great. The electrical stuff at my job, when it comes up, goes much smoother.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of work, another Ryobi oscillating tool and battery died today :rip:

Must be because we’re on hellpage

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’ve been impressed with my Noco charger - I have the dinky 1 amp charger that I’ve thrown a couple of huge tractor batteries at and while yes, they took forever to charge, it did some desulfation trickery that my bigger charger doesn’t have.

If the genius5 doesn’t bring that Prius battery back to life then yeah, it’s definitely toast.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
How do the Milwaukee m18 batteries hold up to daily abuse? I’m trying to drum up reasons to switch away from Ryobi as the tool brand we use for work. I have a feeling that half of our batteries we got at the $25/4ah Home Depot sale less than a year ago are about to die.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Motronic posted:

It's homeowner level stuff for homeowners often at the right prive for that quality and that's great.

….

It's like the harbor freight advice: if you need a tool once buy it there. If you use it enough to break it ans still need it buy a better one because you have proven your use case.

I guess this was some of advice I was looking for. I’m mainly gunning for M18 because the company I work for seems to be Home Depot stans, but I should bring up the whole use case bit the next time an oscillating tool or sawzall dies. Or the cheap batteries that are starting to not charge anymore.

Maybe a better way to phrase my earlier post was “just how much more durable are the M18 batteries than the Ryobi ones? Or how many more charge discharge cycles can they take in the real world?”

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

blindjoe posted:

Whatever the choice is, ensure to post about it here with enough updates so we can all experience the cheap excavator vicariously through you.

Not emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently started using a Klein Tools 65200 at my job with a variety of bits and it’s been a game changer for me. Maybe it/another mini ratchet doesn’t have the reach that you need, but it’s been great to me in very tight spots with ye olde magnetic socket bits.