Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think this is the right place for this but if not please direct me elsewhere:

I have a vehicle with a stripped spark plug thread that takes a NGK CR8E plug (M10x1.0 thread).

I have a time-sert M10x1.0 kit from a previous repair. Can I use this for my spark plug or should i buy a proper spark-plug repair kit from them? Seems like the difference is that the sparkplug kit uses a stepped tap so it follow the old threads while cutting new ones, and the seat cutter uses the tap as a pilot instead of drilling the old thread, c-boring and then straight tapping to finish. My current kit has the right insert length, but they're grey instead of copper plated.

Anyone got advice? I don't mind spending the money if it'll make a difference but it also seems silly to have two slightly different thread repair kits of the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Any reason not to get the tekton 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches if I'm in approximately that price range? They seem like the OEM for a bunch of ~100$ units and I don't want to pay wera money at this moment, are there other options to look at?

I'm thinking of getting the 24330 and 24320 to cover the majority of what I expect on bikes and motorcycles.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The iso shortage was/is wild, just completely unavailable anywhere. I got some from the 55 gal drum at work at the end, did it ever come back into stock?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah 100% don't buy nice metrology stuff on Amazon, if you need the accuracy or precision of nice measuring tools you don't want to get them from an uncertain supplier.

If you don't need nice tool things go hog wild but buy a cheap Chinese caliper instead.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think amazon running the dc saves the other vendors money, even if they have their own less efficient dcs.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Idk about 110/120 I just use whatever but for 230 especially high amps like a welder buy a really good cord from a trusted company, it's a fat amount of power and you need big conductors to handle it. Well insulated in a durable sheath as well, especially around hot welding poo poo. This is like burn your house down if it shorts power imo.

The one on the welder at work is easily as thick as my wrist and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. It looks like a house special but we deal with high voltage high amp poo poo all the time so I'd trust it but if I was buying for my own house or shop I'd go big. Maybe try a local welding or gas supplier and see what they have?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can look for a nomex/kevlar cable cover, I use one that covers my torch and coolant cords to keep from melting them on accident. Don't know if them make them big but I imagine they do.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Wire rope clips are strong and easy, 80% of rope strength with the right clips. Not sure about coated cable though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
So I'm looking to start buying some nicer to decent cordless tools, what ecosystem should I go with? I have a mix of hand-me-down corded tools and a cordless single drill I don't mind orphaning. Looking to get general around the house/light mechanic/DIY building stuff tools but I'm not a wood worker or wrenching all the time.

First tool would probably be a sawzall so recommendations on that specifically would be appreciated as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice, especially on hitting trade stores. I'll call up the tool suppliers I used when I worked in a shop as well and see if they have deals, mostly bought hand tools and cutting tools from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
IME you usually have reamers on hand that bracket your different common pin sizes for certain fits and get ones for specific jobs otherwise, like I'd have reamers for any fit I wanted around 1/8 1/4 8 etc pins but if a job needed a .4385 +/- .0003 hole I'd have to order something.

And yeah once it's big enough you get the boring head out but tiny boring bars are a loving pain compared to reamers and need to be run in vs grab and go (generally).

Also generally I wouldn't trust a drill for anything tighter than +/- .01 unless it's a good sharp drill in a machining center, big box drills in a drill press are like +/-.025 sometimes.

If you want really fun sets of stuff I used to have a set of gauge pins from like 0.1 to 0.5 in .0002 increments for inspecting holes that were too much of a pain to get a dial bore gauge into, and normal bore gauges suck in low clearance operations.