Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

leica posted:

I use a HF 5# plastic sledge filled with buckshot, about the same results I would imagine. It might even be less damaging than a lead hammer.

I have the 3# black HF hammer. It's one of my favorite tools in the shop.

For multi-bit screwdrivers, the double ended kind are the only way to fly: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3FU94. The kind that have a dozen tips hidden in the handle suck by comparison.

Last night I filled some used #00 insulin needles with boat trailer wheel bearing grease and injected it into the wheel & headset bearings in my commuter bike. I also did the bearings on an old vacuum cleaner. I'll definitely be keeping a bag of those around the shop from now on. Finally, I have found an upside to having a diabetic cat! (The downsides are still winning though...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Nitrox posted:

H I didn't believe it and had to look it up, but there are actual torque ratings on screws that hold up the center console. :raise:

Sounds like something BMW would spec.

This reminds me of the 3mm preset torque allen wrenches in the datacenter at my work. Sun E4500 CPU blades came with them for installing the heat sink on the processor. Nice of them to throw that in, at $25000 a pop (circa 1999). There was a toolbox with dozens of these wrenches in one of the desks.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Has anyone ever used a RAC Maxi-Tune? More importantly, does anyone have a manual or know how to hook it up?

It looks like this:

And also like this.

I don't have any vehicles with points, so I don't need the dwell meter, but I would like to have the tach to do a carb sync on my new-to-me Goldwing.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Ethyx posted:

Regarding "Made in China," you all were not kidding about avoiding this stuff if you need a decent tool. The quality control is horrendous: one utility knife I bought was so poorly cast that the blade was completely trapped in the body of the knife.

I got a pack of 3 cheap snap off razors at Sears a while back. One of them had a small shard of razor cast into the outside of the handle, so it looked like a bit of casting mold residue. Nope, it was ~1.5mm of razor that cut the poo poo out of my finger the first time I used it.

Good job, China.