Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Harbor Freight has their 1/2" electric impact wrench on sale for $36.99. There's also a 15% off any single item on the flyer they sent me, so I think I'm gonna go pick it up.

Do I need to buy impact sockets to use with it? I do have a set of Craftsman sockets that would be replaced for free should anything happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Okay, is there a secret to using torque sticks?

After reading this thread and learning such things existed, I thought, "gently caress tightening all of these lug bolts by hand, I'm gonna buy some tools!" Well with no room for a big rear end compressor, I picked up the HF electric impact wrench, set of impact sockets, but I went with the Snap On torque stick as that seemed to be the important part of the equation.

So I decided to bleed my brakes this weekend and try out the new goodies and wow, this is so much easier. I just pull the trigger until the bolt quits turning and I'm good to go! Until this afternoon, when I notice a noise coming from one of my wheels that is varying with my speed. All of the bolts on one wheel were loose. Luckily I got everything tightened up before my wheel fell off.

Anyway, I have an E36, the Bentley manual calls for 74 ft lb on the lug bolts and I have an 80 ft lb torque stick. Should be good right? I hand tightened the bolts and then tighted them up in a star pattern (5 lugs). What am I doing wrong?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

oxbrain posted:

Torque sticks aren't that accurate.

Torque a bolt down with the torque stick, then break it loose with a real torque wrench set to the same torque. I'll bet it releases early.

But I sprung for the quality Snap-On stick instead of the cheap HF stuff! I guess I'll still have to use the torque wrench to finish off all the bolts.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

Seems like Sears/Craftsman is better, unless someone has had a bad experience with them:

Jack
Pair of stands

Total = $45 and has Craftsman 1 year warranty vs. HF's 90 days. Any comments?

This is the exact same jack and jack stands I bought when I first started working on my car. The jack is okay and I still use it. Those jack stands are a pile of crap and seem very unsafe to work under, even when they are only supporting my fairly small 318ti. They have been replaced by much beefier and just as cheap HF jack stands.