Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Interested in finally getting some air tools in the future...mostly light duty impact and air ratchet. Maybe some wire wheel or cutting wheel use. Definitely no paint or sand blasting.

Harbor freight have anything good that would meet these requirements? Or am I better off getting something from a pawn shop. Tank/compressor will indoors, 120v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
somewhat of a tool question...any brand recommendations for headlight restoration kits?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Need a compressor...I'd like to go used, but seems like what you find on CL is a mixed bag...any deals on something for home garage use? 120v, No spraying, just standard basic air tool work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any compressor deals spotted?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Composite huh? how am i supposed to use my ratchet as a hammer if it's composite?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do we have a body work thread?

In any case, I want to give a go at doing some of the body work on my e30 before I send it off to the body shop for a full paintjob.

Along the side skirts, BMW applied a black rubberized texture paint and I want to grind it all off so that it can be painted smooth...would an angle grinder be ideal for this? I have one from HF that should work (vibrates like loving hell though)

What about sanders for sanding bondo? I don't have an air compressor ...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You are right about e36s but its an e30

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which HF aluminum jack is the jack to get these days?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the best low profile jack I can get at harbor freight? I'd prefer one of the lighter weight ones it at all possible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are there any HF coupons that apply to floor jacks? Or have they been excluded for a while now? I need a new one and the low profile one fits the bill

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

This month's normal mailer (the one you get by filling out the postcard in-store, not the one you have to pay for an inside track membership to get) has a coupon for this jack at $69.99,

http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-3-ton-heavy-duty-68048.html

but I like the 2.5 ton low profile one better for $5 bucks more with no coupon.

Well I was in the check out line and Cool-as-gently caress-grandpa behind me in line hooks me up with a 15% off my entire purchase coupon and then goes for a high five afterwards. Saved me 30 bucks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doctor Londom posted:

Yeah, the HF flare wrenches are poo poo. The ends are really fat (for extra strength?) and won't fit anywhere remotely tight. You know, where you'd need them.

Oh good its not just me, I recently purchased a set and was pretty disappointed despite the low price.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was at Sears last night and noticed they have a few new "all in one" tools... Are these things poo poo or good enough to keep one my trunk in case of emergency?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Totally fine for everyday use. I try to keep mine from getting oily if I use them for non impact work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use a 4 or 5 gallon gas container.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fps_bill posted:

I worked with a dude who was an aviation mechanic who had a tits rear end set of tools. The coolest thing was the drawers in his box had black foam with cut outs for every wrench, socket, ratchet, pair if pliers, everything! He also had to have his initials and the last 4 digits of his social engraved on everything. I asked him about it and he said its a requirement because there's been aircraft brought down and entire aircrews lost because someone left a tool somewhere they shouldn't have. He also had a magnetic oil seal from an apache tail rotor stuck on the side of his box. Pretty neat stuff.

This is a common use for tools at Boeing--most mechanics do have or use their own tools at work and they check out tool kits where all of the tools fit into cut out foam. Its the easiest way to ensure that when the mechanic returns a tool kit, they are returning exactly all of the tools that it went out with.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Time for some bono safety glasses indeed!

Finally got my first snap on tool, picked up a lightly used FHX80 3/8" locking flex head ratchet off ebay. I've never used anything better than standard craftsman ratchets so the feel of the finer teeth is amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd say that FOD is overkill for anything non-aerospace.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any comments/reviews on the Rockwell Jawhorse? I was looking at the sheetmaster version. I don't really have room for a workbench in my garage but this looks like it would offer a ton of versatility.

edit: too late, bought the sheetmaster jawhorse

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 21, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The angle grinder I bought from harbor freight kept spitting out chunks/bits of white stuff (bearing grease?) even after hours of use.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blindjoe posted:

Pressure bleeders are awful.

All they are there for is to spread brake fluid all over your paint, your house, and probably your mouth.

Plus some time with abs, you have to bleed it properly with the pedal anyways, or a valve closes and no fluid comes out.

I just get my wife to press the brake. If you don't have a wife, um, craigslist for a brake pusher?

m4bp - looking for someone to press the brakes on my car

A poor workman blames his tools...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kardboard krew 4 lyfe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Has anybody here used Harbor Freight's flare nut wrenches? Most of the reviews say that they explode trying to loosen bleeder screws and that I should probably spend double the money on a set of Kobalt wrenches.

They are indeed poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well, I'm finally going to be a homeowner as of tomorrow!

And I already need a ladder--any recs for Little Giant style multi-position ladders?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Have you guys used those Simpson strong ties? Recently cleaned out the garage and I'd like to build a new workbench, looks like those make it super easy.

Hey those are pretty neat, I just bought a house and need to get a workbech set up ASAP.

And much to my surprise, the garage has a 220V outlet. Finally going to get a welder and learn how to get poo poo done! :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lookin for an air compressor, saw one of these on CL for 370:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389_4294813361+4294965883_3_?productId=3824207

I know I should be looking for an oiled compressor, but I have no idea how big of a tank I would need for general automotive work (no painting or sandblasting).

edit: i have a 220v outlet in my garage, is it worth it to find a 220v compressor?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 5, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McSpatula posted:

How much lift do you need? That jack is on sale often, and great for the price, but if you need a bit more height, the 2 ton low-profile is pretty nice too. You'll have to bleed them maybe once a year or so, as they tend to go limp.

Got any info how to do that? I might have the manual still but they're usually useless for HF tools.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Avoid both, IMHO.

I hated my ratchet types, as the intervals ALWAYS seemed to favor being an inch too low.

Cast aluminum? Ehh, these really don't seem to be designed for cars at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wish I could rationalize buying 4 of these jackstands but I'll keep using my Husky steel ratcheting type ones with a safety pin.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

Is that one like the Leatherman (or maybe it was Gerber?) EOD multitool that had a bunch of tools that are only useful if you're literally blowing something up or defusing a bomb (blasting cap crimper, brass saw, detcord cutter, etc)?

SOG has a couple multitools for that too.

That said, I picked up a SOG multitool off Amazon today because they are having a 15% off sale if you buy direct from amazon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astonishing Wang posted:

Has anyone found a transfer pump that works for more that a use or two? I'm talking about the kind that screws onto the bottle of oil. I've bought a couple of different ones at the parts stores, and they all brake in various stupid ways. Usually I get about a liter into the differential and then the pump smashes through the plastic cap and sends a spring into the bottle, leaving me a couple liters short. Usually this happens at around 9:01pm when there's no chance of getting another one. Luckily my 8.8 axle has the fill plug on the opposite side from the cover, and it's at an angle so I was able to make a funnel work.

I usually pay about $10 for the white plastic pump that's available at the stores. Has anyone found one that is reliable? I don't mind a little leaking here and there, I just want to be able to fill stuff without breaking pumps.

I think I've gotten 3-4 uses out of the one from Amsoil (or was it redline?). It was cheap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need a new floor jack for my Explorer. I'm not familiar with any of the brands I'm seeing on amazon and not sure if I can trust the harbor freight ones.

Can anyone with jack experience chime in with suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank so I don't necessarily need anything aluminum-lowpro-racing etc...

Edit: Costco near me doesn't have any jacks, I already looked.

Harbor Freight

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SPORK08 posted:

Has anyone bought any LED shop lights?

I've got a 30x40 pole barn (that I really would like to start a thread on what has been happening in there, however a painfully small amount of work seems to be getting done by my lazy rear end) and it's got flourecsent lighting. I've got 5 4-bulb fixtures doing all the work right now. The flourescents seem to interfere with FM radio waves and the 5 fixtures don't seem to do enough .

Any good (cheap) sources?

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

Costco should have these, but I couldn't find any last night at my local store.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fucknag posted:

At least they tried, when I tried to warranty my torque wrench last year (after my mom's idiot bf tightened it as far as it would go while "cleaning up" my work area after working on her car and broke the poo poo out of it), they refused it because apparently it's not a hand tool. :wtc:

Yeah it's always been that way with their torque wrenches.

I bought an Ingersoll rand 19v nicad cordless impact gun a few years ago which came with two batteries, of course both are fully dead by now.

I can get both batteries remanufactured for about a hundred, but I'm worried they batteries will poo poo the bed again in a few years, so would I be better off getting a corded impact gun?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Some decent deals for some of these organizer trays that look better than the HF ones

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Organizer-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485?keyword=1000023711

HDX 15-Compartment Interlocking Organizer, Black (2-Pack)
Easy to remove dividers to put bits, screw, socket or other tools into the organizer
Organizers lock together, so you can carry up 3 organizers at one time
Conveniently stores in the home, garage, office, car, dorm room or school room
Heavy duty slide lock

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-65-Compartment-5-In-1-Organizer-3200201/205558084?keyword=1001030526
HDX 65-Compartment 5 In 1 Organizer
Up to 34 compartment configurations using 24 dividers
Customizable compartments make everything methodical
Plastic material makes the organizer light and easy to carry on
Transparent quick-view top for quick identification of contents

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those nifty feit shop lights are on extra sale right now at costco @ 32 dollars, but I'll have to drive two hours round trip to pick up a few. Anyone bought some of them yet? I'm wondering how many i will need for my 1.5 car garage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
plug into a normal outlet

i guess I need to factor in that my garage ceiling is fairly high

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can always lop the end off and treat it like a hardwire, or drop an outlet into the junction box*

*I'm sure Motronic will probably be along shortly to explain if this is a massive code violation :v:

Oh, I'll show you some code violations when I can take some pics this evening. PO of this house let their dumbfuck "contractor" brother make a whole slew of piss poor electrical work, including a 220 breaker box that was installed w/o permit, because it's clearly not up to code.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trickle chargers: any recommendations? Under 30 bux preferred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which brand are they?