Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
As a (small) aside, there is a 10$ Craftsman Digital Multimeter on slickdeals.net right now.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482345000P?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Taymar posted:

I need some jackstands for occasional light use (fluid changes). It's critical that they won't damage the surface they're used on as I'm going to have to borrow someone's driveway to change my oil.

Should I be looking at a certain type of stand, or just put pieces of wood or similar underneath?

I've got 3 sets (6 total), two Craftsman and 1 set of cheapies. The racheting style really is a must, and I duct taped some cardboard where the surface contacts the frame. Just make sure it has some grip to it you dont want it to slide off when you're wrenching down on stuff.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Maxwedge posted:

I need recomendations on a jack to keep in the car. I'm not a fan of those scissors jacks and I used to have a bottle jack but it leaked inside of my toolbox. Right now I have a craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack in the trunk but there has to be something lighter and more compact.

Craftsman and other companies make the "mini" floor jacks that dont have the full handle. Some of them aren't rated to hold much, but I used one for light use at home for awhile.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950524000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment

Here is a 2 1/4 ton model, which may be what you already have. Not sure if you are going to get any lighter and more compact than that- outside of using the scissor jack.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Maxwedge posted:

Thats what I have. So does everyone just use the OE scissor jack for emergencies.

The only way I'd use the OEM jack is for an emergency, yes. Road side tire changes basically. I wouldn't want the added weight of a floor jack in my trunk anyways. Plus it would be in the way (my trunk is relatively small)

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
My mom got me the 2-piece Craftsman anniversary cabinet for Christmas this year. It're pretty nice, has a riser between the base and top chest, and it was really cheap before the holidays. I think she only spent like $45 on it.

There aren't ball-bearing drawers or anything super nice like that, but overall it should last for awhile as long as you dont do stupid poo poo to it.

That being said,

Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap torque wrench? Will I need anything else besides the correct sized socket for my lugnuts?
I own 4 jackstands and a hydraulic floor jack, but I want to be able to rotate my own tires and torque them back to spec. I've never worried about how tight I put poo poo on until I busted a wheel stud on my friend's Monte Carlo from my manly (wimpy) strength.

BabyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 6, 2008

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Can someone recommend a cheapie torque wrench? I'm not looking for much, I just want to be able to torque my lugnuts back to spec so I can rotate my own drat tires.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Funny you mention all the tire+lube grease monkeys. They all use torque wrenches by me. I've seen them do it. Maybe they finally caught word it's faster to torque the lugnut properly than to replace a wheel stud/lugnut ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Can I use my standard sockets on a 1/2" or 3/8" drive torque wrench. Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to them. Never had one :)