Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hypnolobster posted:

Why lead, and not steel?

Because lead is softer than steel, so you can transmit a large force to the object without denting it.

Last time I've seen someone use one of those was these oldschool "quick change" wheels on a Shelby Cobra.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Uthor posted:

Anyway, is that big enough for anything useful?

Staplers and nail guns for sure. Will drive an impact gun as long as you don't mind letting it catch back up with you every so often. Air hammer and air ratchet for sure, handy when working on cars. Blow guns, I have no idea how I ever washed my car at home without one.

ease posted:

so why not just do this on the cheap with T's and a quick connect wherever you want access to it?

I'm thinking the same thing -- I just enclosed my carport and will be adding a retractable ceiling-mounted air hose. I plan to just run a hose from the compressor, up through my attic, to the ceiling-mounted hose. I'll let you know how that works out.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2008

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sideshowalan posted:

HF Clamshell style: This is my top choice so far, seems like it would be faster than the '2 sticks' method.

Craftsman Compressor: I'd trust the build quality of this over the HF clamshell but it seems like it would take longer. Also there's the fear of one of the sticks sliding over and pinching my finger off.

I've got the Craftsman ones, they failed during the 3rd use. Replaced free, worked fine 5 times subsequently (this is driving them w/ impact gun which you're "not supposed to do").

I just got the H-F ones, but haven't had the opportunity to use them.

two_beer_bishes posted:

What should I look for in a pneumatic impact wrench? The prices range from $30-300+ and I just want to make sure I'm not getting a piece of poo poo...

Used Snap-On or an Ingersoll-Rand 450 ft-lb gun at Lowes.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ever had one of those impossibly awful broken bolt/stud experiences? The kind where you break 4 drill bits and a screw extractor or two? The kind that keep a weekend project dragging on for two months...?

Yeah. gently caress that:

+

+

It's Dremel time.

The grinding bits from the chainsaw sharpening set and the diamond-crusted disco ball are all you need to remove a broken screw extractor and the bolt it is lodged in. In fact, they're pretty much the ONLY way you're going to get them out. The flex-shaft is obviously helpful if space is tight.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

Can anyone comment on the $75 6-ton HF shop press?

I've got the 20-ton. No complaints.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kynetx posted:

Any idea how it compares to the AI standard jack (the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack)?

I have both, this is the "shop" jack -- too heavy for easy lugging to the track, but low enough to get under the racecar. Nice smooth lifting motion and easy release, plus it's beefy enough to jack up the truck if I put a wood block on it.

It's the optimal home shop jack, but LOOKY WHAT I GOT HERE!

H-F jack, $60. 8-gal air tank, $80. 20% off any item, all good through 11/29/09.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mod sassinator posted:

The coupon fine print says it can't be duplicated or printed, do you know where you can get the real flyer?

Grassroots motorspots, but I guaran-goddamn-tee-you you won't have a problem printing it and taking it. I can scan higher res if you want.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sharkytm posted:

you have a broken tap stuck in something, how to you go about removing that...

The best/only way I have found to remove a broken tap/EZ-out is with the round diamond-tipped Dremel bits or the eraser-shaped griding bits.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

frozenphil posted:

They work fine as long as you don't put much torque on them. Real handy for putting a nut on a really long bolt like you'd find working on a deck or something.

Also handy for strut top bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mrglynis posted:

I finally bit the bullet and treated myself a little. Purchased this guy today:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profile-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html

I've been eyeballing it for a while now. My current jack is one of their aluminum ones. Its still works fine 3 yrs on. Its only downside is that the max lift height is like 14.5". Just high enough to get the tires off the ground after lowering the car onto jack stands. My new one is just under 2'. So I cant wait to use it tomorrow. I've got to replace my whole front brake system (calipers, rotors, and pads).

I should take a side by side pic. The new one absolutely dwarfs the old one. Of course it weighs 70lbs more too.

I have been eyefucking this jack for a while now and I haven't quite pulled the trigger. I moved to the PNW and sold off my entire garage before leaving, lived in an apartment for a year, but I'm now in a place with my a garage and I have a seemingly insatiable desire to get my hands dirty and scrape some knuckles under a car.

Need to snatch one of those 20% off coupons and get it along with a set of jackstands...