Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

miklm posted:

I've got to buy one of those 80# sticks ... Where can you get Snap-on tools without working in a shop and being on the tool truck's route?

Snapon.com, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

rhombus posted:

Do I need to buy impact sockets to use with it? I do have a set of Craftsman sockets that would be replaced for free should anything happen to them.

It's definitely preferable to do that. Impact sockets are made from harder steel than regular sockets, so they don't twist as much as regular sockets on each impact. Since any force that doesn't get transmitted to the nut is useless, you won't get quite as much torque out of it with regular sockets as you would with impacts.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

I have the oddest feeling that "needs to be calibrated" means, "broken and can't be calibrated"

This is craigslist, after all.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

seriously, are they made of magic or something?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Impact driver.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Wow I can't imagine how long it took to do that pinstriping, or how much he would have charged a normal person.

I'm kind of impressed by the $20k that toolbox runs at full retail.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Did you drop out before friction 101?

Friction is easy enough to reduce that I'm not about to trust my life to something that relies on it. Not to mention the possibility of the screw mechanism itself failing catastrophically.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Yes :)

You do have to be careful with them though, things like extensions will throw them off.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Honestly, they're good enough for "tight enough not to fall off but not so tight the wheel gets damaged/things strip out." Which is what torque specs for lugnuts are generally meant to accomplish anyway.

That said, I still usually check a few lugs with a torque wrench after to make sure the stick isn't severely wrong.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Shopvacs are also great for blowing stuff out if they have a hookup on the blower side.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

How trustworthy is the air rating on older craftsman compressors?
There are several older "5hp" 120v models on CL that are advertised as 5scfm @ 90psi, which is more than enough for 90% of what I would use it for, and more than the new "1.5hp" models claim to put out.

The HP ratings are grossly inflated, but the CFM ratings are accurate.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Sockington posted:

How do you even get your hands in the tight places we are talking about? I would pay money to watch you change my Miata oil filter without removing anything. :sissies:

EDIT: It's a legitimate question. I have trouble with some stuff and I have pretty normal sized hands (#10 work gloves).

Once I'd done it like three or four times I had no problem getting in there. Mainly because I know exactly where it is now by feel. My hands are tiny though.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Have you guys seen the Tite-Reach extension wrench?

I assume it's just a bunch of gears inside, but holy poo poo the applications, especially if you can use gearing to increase the torque at the end. I want several.

Way to be a huge marketing tool dude.

(I just bought one)

Edit: aww dammit, I am DEFINITELY using a impact wrench on this thing. There goes $50 instead of $15 :ohdear:

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 19, 2012

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only concern I have with it is the wildly varying torque ratings given for the 3/8 pro model. Seems like depending on where you look, it could be rated for anything between 125 and 400 ft lb.

They have lifetime replacement for the pro model so I figure I'll just run the gun at full speed and see if it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

It looks like that lugnut has ten sides internally. That's probably some weird anti-theft thing. It looks like you can get a ten point lugnut key that'll work for like $20 from here. There's probably other sellers, but that's gonna be the best option unless you have some extractor tool that will fit.

Just make sure to measure it beforehand. Calipers are pretty cheap and really, really useful if you don't have 'em.