Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PitViper posted:

I would presume that the inexpensive tool is to try and rope you into the annual subscription to keep it working.

I haven't heard of the Autel units working that way, they seem to use the subscription as actual updates for new vehicles or for updating existing vehicles, but any functionality of the tool when you buy it is not affected by any subscription status.
Yeah, and based on what I've heard here, I feel comfortable with that. I think I'm more or less landing on the Autel that Motronic recommended, when I spot a deal on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Buy this and this and some of this.

Make your own drat extension cord exactly how you want.

(You can buy the wire at a local hardware store and not buy 100 feet, and you can buy other plugs if you don't like those - you're looking for a 1-15P (plug/male end) and 1-15R (receptacle/female) end. If you want it even gnarlier, get SJOOW (instead of SOOW, what I linked) cable.)

edit: That might have sounded more flippant than I intended. I asked about extension cords awhile ago and got basically this advice and have been extremely happy with my custom cords ever since.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 26, 2024

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The extent of my knowledge on the subject was:

Motronic posted:

I mean, this isn't really as big of a deal as you might think. Just don'tbe real dumb with where you have your cords.

But it's also one of the reasons I said SJOOW. It's all kinds of water/oil/etc resistant and generally will just last a long time in that kind of service. It's also expensive, but to be fair anything with an appropriate current carrying capacity is going to be be. It's just a lot of copper.
But your comment lead me to google, and yep, you're exactly right. So OP, you could do the SJOOW because apparently the SOOW is even more overkill.

If anyone else is curious, here is the article I read and learned from!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

“Tools are useless because of EVs” is such a weird position.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I can't see what niche that fills that isn't filled by a ratcheting wrench or a small ratchet and a nano socket. All the same ... I'm sorry, OP, didn't you say you had a welder? Sounds like one of those with a 6 point configuration is only an afternoon away ...

Cat Hatter posted:

Check out Harbor Freight's ZURICH ZR15s. I borrowed one a while back and it's the nicest thing I've ever used from Harbor Freight. There's much fancier stuff out there but the manual available on their website should be able to tell you what it can/can't do and if it'll be sufficient for you.
Seconding this, also. I was just wrestling with this (in this very thread) and ended up getting the ZR15s. It accesses a lot more than I expected it to, and I'm very happy with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yes, it should build pressure with no fluid. They specifically call that out in the setup procedure - connect it up, pressurize with no fluid, make sure it holds pressure.

Seals could be dry, but most of the time for me, it's the goddamn cap. I had to use the seal from an actual reservoir cap (and then buy a new one...) to get the cap to seal on my GMC.