Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

InitialDave posted:

Irwin do removal tools for rounded fasteners, kind of like inside-out easy-outs:

I've found Gator Grip sockets aren't really that wonderful, to be honest.

I have a set of these, and the few times I've had to use them, they have been a lifesaver :) Definitely worth picking up, especially if you work on older/abused vehicles (like I tend to :().

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Stopped by HF today and picked up this guy:

Completely forgot about the extra 25% off, so I got it for $36. Was thinking about picking up a new engine hoist as well, but the one they had there was... meh. I'll probably splurge the extra $ and grab the Torin 1-ton from Northern Tool for $169. After getting the extension cord and work light reels for Christmas, there'll be no more hand-rolling cords and hoses for me! :woop:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

CatBus posted:

Let me know how you like that air hose reel, since that was next on my list.

Well, I haven't actually USED the air hose reel, other than with a blow gun to confirm air came out and that my connections were good, but I got it mounted and plumbed in tonight. Some thoughts:
  • I had to pick up a reducer to attach a hose to the side of the reel. Also had to get a reducer for the end of the hose. Seems like the threads are 3/8" NPT, and my old hose was 1/4" NPT threaded. I'm using 3/8" "T" style quick-connect fittings for the feed line and for all my tools.
  • Mounts easily enough, I just mounted a 26" 2x8 to the ceiling in my garage, and bolted the reel to that with 3/8"x1" lag screws and washers. Ran my old 50' hose along the ceiling over to the compressor in the corner.
  • The reel is nice and smooth, and has a small spacing of the "clicks" that lock the hose in place. Very easy to set the length you want. Retraction mechanism is plenty strong as well.
  • The rubber hose it comes with is plenty flexible, even in the cold and when charged at 80psi. My old cheap hose gets pretty stiff in the cold, and is a bitch to wrap up if it's pressurized.
  • The stopper on the hose is attached by 2 screws, so it's easy to set to a different length, and holds tightly to the hose. My 2 electrical reels have a non-removeable stopper ball, and neither of them holds the cord tightly enough to work very well.

All in all, it's worth the $36 I paid for it, and I'd say even worth the $59 or whatever it normally costs. I'll probably pick up one of the 50' air/water reels closer to spring to use as my car-washing hose, so I can just reel it up when I'm not using it or in the winter.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Use a zip-tie around your electrical cords as a stopper for the balls. Works wonders.

I'm tempted to get that air reel but am a little nervous about mounting it to the textured drywall in my garage. Maybe if I make a base board like your set up. Also really wish I had more electrical outlets in my garage. It shouldn't be hard to add some more as the breaker box is in the garage and there's an attic right above it.

Good idea on the zip ties. And yea, mounting it straight to the drywall would be a bad idea. It's pretty hefty on its own, and pulling down on the hose would probably pull it right out. The rafters are only 4" wide, so I couldn't have mounted it through the drywall to the rafter, since the holes are 5-1/4" apart or so. If you don't have any scrap boards, just hit your local Home Depot or whatever. Mine always has a big bin of "scrap" boards that are really cheap. This one was a 30" 2x8 that I got for 51 cents.

I'm in the same situation with outlets, the one in the ceiling is on a separate circuit from the one on the wall by the panel, so if the compressor blows the wall outlet breaker, I still have lights. If I were more comfortable with home electrical wiring, I'd toss another 20A outlet in the corner by the compressor, and a second one on the wall by the panel. There's no main breaker on the panel though, just all the individual breakers.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've got the craftsman compression kit as well, it's pretty nice even compared to the OTC one we have at school. Rubber cover on the gauge itself, which protects it if you drop it, and makes it easy to wedge somewhere so you can see it while cranking the car. Looks like the Mityvac one is probably made by the same manufacturer, just with a different name stamped on it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Anybody have one of the 13 drawer roller cabinets that HF sells? I'm thinking about picking one up to replace my cheap 3-piece Craftsman box, since I'm borderline outgrowing it. Don't think I'll need a top box yet, but I'll probably pick one up come spring. Looks like a much better quality box than my friction-slide Craftsman setup, plus it'd give me a bit more workspace in the garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/rolling-cabinets/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

oxbrain posted:

For the price you can get something better at sears or home depot.

Really? It's been a while since I've shopped tool cabinets, but everything I find online through Sears or HD is usually quite a bit more for a similar sized chest. The Sears ones are all either smaller ball-bearing chests in the 26" range, or by the time you get up to the 40" range you're looking at $700-800+. HD has one that's the same range and slightly smaller, but it's online-only.

I'm hoping one of the local HF stores has them next time I'm up that way, so I can compare it to the Craftsman BB units. Lowes and HD are on my shopping rounds tomorrow morning anyway, so I'll be able to check out their offerings in person as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I use the baggie method, and write the part description on the bag with a felt pen. The cheap store brand freezer (not storage) bags work great for this. I either attach the baggie to the part, or put them in a tray to keep them together, and in order of removal. Then I just work backwards through the tray when it goes back together.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've never had the writing smudge so that I couldn't read it, but like I said, I usually keep them on the workbench in a plastic tub, away from my work area. If they're attached to the part they belong to, its not as big of a deal.

PBCrunch posted:

If the bag were to be rubbed with chemical the writing might disappear. You might be better off writing on a little scrap of paper inside the bag.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
For anybody within spitting distance of Ohio (I live in MN), Tooltopia (vendor on Amazon, not sure if they have their own website/storefront) is an excellent place to grab specialty tools. I ordered the GM torque strut tool for the FWD 3100/3400 V6 motors on Thursday afternoon, and it was at my door Saturday morning via Fedex. Finding specialty tools anywhere within an hour or two drive of me is a hassle, and I'd rather buy my own than have to rent/borrow/loan one all the time.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

PainterofCrap posted:

Came to post this, now can't find the picture of my toolbox.

I really should get a bigger one, but I have to be able to lug it into the trunk for car shows as insurance against the car breaking down/something breaking.

The solution, of course, is a big box for the garage, and a portable tool kit for emergencies. I doubt I need air tools, engine rebuild tools, or all the power tools at a show, but a ratchet set, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc would all be handy.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Well, if you're outgrowing your mobile tool kit... get a little matching trailer for the car, like some guys use for track tires? A guy I know does that, since he drives his car to/from road course events.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
You can find > 19mm and < 10mm sockets in 3/8" drive, but I've never seen them as part of a set. My Craftsman set did include 8mm and 9mm, but anything outside that you'll have to buy individually.

I will agree with PBCrunch though, I can't really think of many times I've wanted anything outside of 10-17mm in a 3/8". Bigger usually means more torque than I can get from a 3/8" ratchet, and smaller than 8mm and you run a chance of putting too much torque into the fastener/threads.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Any recommendations for a low-profile floor jack? The one I have now works great for my truck and regular vehicles, but my car is about an inch too low to clear it. I'm thinking about the HF 2-ton aluminum jack, but I'm waiting for a same or big coupon before I pick it up.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
When my dad and I built a few retaining walls out of 8x8 timbers, we made all the cuts with a chain saw. This was mostly straight cuts, with a few angle cuts where the wall made a turn. Just mark your angle, and cut carefully. It probably won't be absolutely perfect, but it'll probably be good enough.

Plus, it gives you an excuse to buy a chain saw! I do recall sharpening the chain a lot, but this was probably... 150' worth of 5 or 6 timber height walls, plus the tiebacks into the hillside (looks like a big T, with the top buried in the dirt and the bottom nailed into the wall between 2 other timbers). All in all, it was a LOT of cutting.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I bought one of the cheap composite-handled Pittsburgh 3/8" ratchets back in the spring, and I've been using it all summer without issue. The action is much finer than my 10-year-old Craftsman, and the handle is slightly more comfortable. It is a bit fatter, so I still grab the Craftsman for tight spaces, but I'll grab the Pittsburgh 9 times out of 10.

And when I say "all summer", I mean I usually spend at least 2-3 hours a week wrenching on something. I'll get way more use out of it over the winter, when I'm busier fixing cars instead of detailing and driving them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
The Pittsburgh steel low-profile jack is really tempting. I VERY rarely have to haul the jack anywhere except across my garage, and it looks like it would definitely clear even the lowered car. Maybe I'll stop by the store when I'm up there next week...

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Check with a tire shop. I can't imagine they'd charge much to remove the locks and toss on a regular lug nut. What style locks are they? If they're the splined type, you could try a nut extractor. Of they're the McGard type, not sure what you can do short of hammering on an impact socket, which might wreck the socket.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
is the HF 3/4" breaker bar any good? I snapped my Craftsman 1/2", and while I'm getting it replaced, I think I should step up to a 3/4" drive and sockets for axle nuts. I normally have a 4' cheater pipe for stubborn stuff, which is how the 1/2" met its demise.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'd been eyeing that Pittsburgh jack for a while as well. My current jack is too tall to fit under my lowered car easily, and it starting to show signs of a leaky seal. Maybe I'll have to buy it this weekend, and donate my old jack to my parents' garage up north.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Review time!

First: Harbor Freight 20 ton Hydraulic Press
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html

I picked this up in Feb, because I was doing a pair of press-in wheel bearings, and charging enough to buy the press. Since then, it's paid for itself a couple times over doing various press jobs.

Pros:
  • Cheap. I somehow managed to pay $140 WITH a service plan for it, probably because the cashier gets a spiff selling service plans. She rang some sort of coupon through that was under the register.
  • The top frame is welded, not bolted together like the 12 ton. Makes a bigger box to haul home, but it's definitely sturdy.
  • Easy to assemble. Took me less than a half hour to set up.
Cons:
  • Mine was slightly mis-welded, the gap in the top frame was too narrow for one of the return springs. I managed to use a chisel to spread the gap enough to make it fit. Not a huge deal.
  • The jack isn't attached to anything, really. There's a cup for the ram in the top bar, and it just sits on the flat base on the press bar. I could use a pair of U-bolts to secure it, but it hasn't had an issue yet.
  • The handle for the jack is crap. It's a 2 piece, but doesn't stay together very well. Luckily, the handle that my hoist uses is the same, so I just use that.
  • The cast arbor plates seem like a weak point. I might CAD up some plates and have the local metal shop cut me some new ones.

Overall, I think it was a worthwhile purchase. It's done everything I asked without complaint. I did buy a set of the aluminum seal/bearing drivers that HF sells at the same time, and they've been very useful. I cross-shopped with Northern Tool, but didn't feel like the step up to one of the more expensive ones was worth it for me right now. I'm sure I could sell this on Craigslist for some cash if I ever decided to upgrade.

Also helpful is having an assortment of scrap metal pieces for shimming stuff in the work space. I've got some 3/4" square stock, plus various thinner bits that I use to help balance pieces flat on the table. Old bearing races are handy as well, I've saved the ones that I've taken out so far just in case.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Next up: Pittsburgh 2.5 ton floor jack
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68049.html

It was time to finally replace my 3 ton Craftsman SUV jack. It didn't clear the car after I lowered it, and the hydraulics were starting to get a little weak. I debated between this one and the 2 ton low-profile Pittsburgh, but liked the extra heft. I didn't want an aluminum jack, because I rarely have to haul it anywhere.

Pros:
  • Fits under the lowered car ('92 3000GT) easily. Has plenty of reach to hit both jack points.
  • Smooth lift all the way to full extension. Plenty of lift per handle stroke.
  • Cheaper, but well built. It actually has a grease fitting for the big arm pivot, and the casters seem more solid than my Sears jack.

Cons:
  • I wish the cylinder control were a bit smoother. Unless you turn the handle pretty gently, it'll drop the car HARD to the ground.
  • The jack doesn't roll terribly easily with a load on it. Doesn't sound bad, but unless you chock both sides of one of the wheels, the car won't drop straight onto the jack stands, but it'll sorta "rock" the stand as it settles. I've just made sure to chock both sides of the wheels when I lift a car.

Another decent purchase. It is a HEAVY jack, so if you're carrying it around to a track, I'd go aluminum. Otherwise for a home shop, it's ideal. I paid $85, again with a 2yr replacement plan. Same story as the press, I guess it's just something that the cashiers do at my local store.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 1, 2012

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Exactly. I know that the beam that the Jack presses on isn't super snug against the siderails, but I might pick up some thin poly sheet to make some thin shims to remedy it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Has anyone seen, or owns, a cheaper OBD2 diagnostic logging dongle that you can leave in a car for a week or two? Something that I can plug into a sporadically-misbehaving car, send someone on their way, and tell them to call me when the fault happens again. My handheld scanner is not something I'd want to send with a person, and more often than not, they're automotively-challenged anyway. I'd just like to see what the ECU is seeing during a fault condition, without me having to drive around town trying to duplicate said issue.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Motronic posted:

That's just mode $03.....the ECU is storing that and you are retrieving it.

I think PitViper is looking for something more like this

Yup, similar to that. I'd just like to be able to see what the ECU is seeing at the time of the fault. $99 is a bit higher than I'd like, but seems to be about par for the course. Might be worth it, if I can make sure they don't drive off and never come back.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been super pleased with my composite 3/8 ratchet from HF. The ratchet action is pretty good, and so far, it has worked well as a hammer too.

I picked up the composite Pittsburgh ratchet a few months back, and I've been very happy with it for the price. I have nicked up the casing in a few spots, and the color has worn off the grip, but it still ratchets as nicely as it did even after almost daily use for the last 3-4 months. Even if I replace it yearly, it's still dirt cheap compared to one of the Snap-On ratchets.

I'm probably going to grab one of the 1/4" ratchets next time I'm there, since my Craftsman ones have both broken. The ball detent that holds the socket on both has broken internally, even on the one I just exchanged in April.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My rule of thumb is if I've used it enough to break it, I should buy a better quality piece anyway. That said, I don't think I've broken hardly anything from HF that wasn't "disposable" anyway (sacrificial screwdrivers and such), so maybe I'm just really careful about picking what I can get cheap, versus what I should buy quality.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Sorry, stuff like sockets and the like I'd definitely take back, no excuse for something simple like that to break. Anything more complex than a breaker bar, maybe a ratchet, and I consider most of what HF sells to be "good enough". Power tools, air tools, electrical stuff, etc. is where The cheapness starts to become evident, and the closest HF to me is at least an hour and a half away. I'll spend the extra cash on a better built, major manufacturer warrantied piece if it's something important enough to replace.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I have the H frame 20 ton press, and its similar in build. I shimmed my ram platform with some nylon spacers, and I'd like to replace the junk arbor plates, but otherwise its done plenty of wheel bearings and such. For the money, and the number of times I use it, its perfectly adequate.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Phone posted:

Anybody have any complaints about the 12-ton HF press?

I've got the 20 ton, which is similar, just a beefier frame. Other than the arbor plates being kinda junk, it's done what I've needed it to do. The frame is good, and the bottle jack is pretty good for HF. If you snag the 20 on sale, it's only $150. I know it was on coupon recently.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Any recommendations on garage heaters? Currently I use a 50-80k BTU propane torpedo heater whenever I'm planning on working, but running out of gas in the middle of a job sucks, plus the fumes from running it indoors can be an issue if I'm working all day. I have a little electric space heater, but that can't maintain temp during most of the winter, and it eats up valuable wattage for power tools.

I've got a 22x20, 10' ceilings, one wall and half the ceiling is finished. I've got 40A of 120V service on 2 20A sets of outlets, and the easy option of running a natural gas line before I insulate and sheetrock the rest of the garage. I've been browsing hanging vented heaters, as well as some ventless wall units, but I wa nted to see if anyone has any firsthand experience. I'm in MN, so the winters can be cold, but being able to bring the garage up to 50* and keep it there is more than sufficient.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Ideally I'd run it all winter, at least to keep the garage above freezing. I'd only turn it up to 50-60* when I'm actually out there, which is at least a couple days a week. I've looked at some ceiling-hanging 45k BTU units like sharkytm mentioned, I'd like to preserve as much of my floor space as I can.

The garage will be insulated and finished, but I'd like to figure out my heat options before I start that. My furnace/water heater and all utilities hookups are in an interior room right next to the garage, which is why I'd really like something NG-powered. Minimal electrical draw, plenty of heat output. The only downsides to the heater I have now are the fumes and the lack of 24/7 usability.

I saw some of the panel-type heaters (like a gas-fired baseboard heater) that were less expensive, but lower BTUs, plus I'd sacrifice floor space in front of it. Since I own the home, and plan to stay at least 8-10 years, I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Sharky, how difficult was the install on yours? As cheap as a used home furnace would be, I'm definitely thinking a hanging one is the way I'll end up going. I'll be doing the garage finishing myself, but I'm wondering if I want to get an HVAC guy to hook the heater up.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Are there any ball joint presses that don't suck? I've done the loaners from O'Reilly and Autozone, and half the time it doesn't fit around the stack of cups and adapters needed to actually remove said ball joint (mid-late 90's Accords, I'm looking at you!). Normally I just use the adapters and the 20 ton press, but sometimes that's a whole lot of sketchy piles and bracing needed to level out the knuckles, and I fear for my safety. But I always wear my safety glasses!

I'll probably just end up buying an adapter set from someplace, and keep adding to my collection of scrap metal and bearing races to level oddball stuff out on the 20 ton.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've got the 2 ton steel Pittsburgh jack from Harbor Freight. Its lifted everything I've needed to, from lowered coupes to the Ford F250 diesel I worked on yesterday. Its heavy as hell, but it just lives in the garage, and I normally only have to take it somewhere a couple times a year.

Edit: or maybe its the 3 ton posted above mine. I'd have to check. Its one of the two lo-profile Pittsburgh steel ones.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 10, 2014

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

kastein posted:

Unless it's rusted in place in which case hahahaha advertising words.

1100 foot pounds sounds like a lot, but $20 worth of steel pipe (4 feet) and my $20 3/4" breaker bar gives me a 5 foot lever arm. I can easily apply 1100 foot pounds of torque with that, and it works anywhere with no power. Requires the part to be locked in place (i.e. an axle nut is going to spin the axle unless I do this with the wheel on the ground still) but that hasn't stymied me yet.

I twisted the head of a 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar doing this, and never did end up getting the axle nut off. I believe my buddy sold the car with a bad axle. I really should buy a 3/4" breaker bar and 3/4" drive sockets in all the common axle nut sizes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That HF impact looks physically identical to my 10-year-old Craftsman. Works great for 99% of what I do, but struggles sometimes with axle nuts and crank pulley bolts. Eventually I'll get one of the higher-torque models, but it's not high on my list.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Rhyno posted:

Did you look at the right box?

Yea. The super-cheap HF boxes are the usual friction-slide, thin-metal crap. The $389 44" and $799 56" chests are solid though. Ignore the $189 combo, it's crappier than my cheap Craftsman combo I have now.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Recommendations on brake line flaring tools? I just used a loaner bar-style to reflare one end of a premade line (screw you Ford, bubble flare on one end and SAE double flare on the other?) and it was pretty terrible. Not that I do them often, but I don't want to repeat the experience using the bar-style again. Is there a particular inline set that's better than another? Anyone a baller and used one of the fancy hydraulic ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I was on a time crunch yesterday, hence the loaner flare tool and buying whatever line I could get at the local parts place. I only had to cut/flare one end, since they had a length that worked with a correct fitting on one end. I'm probably going to end up ordering a coil of Cunifer 3/16, a pack of fittings, and an inline flare tool to do bubble and double flare SAE. Probably worth keeping on hand for the couple times a year I get asked to replace a rusty line.