Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
anyone have a tubing bender? not like brake lines but 1 inch up round bar?

HF strikes again with lovely products that might cause you to loose a finger or put out an eye...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32888

can give me reasons not to buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
there was a shop that I used to hang around in that had a really badly broken up asphalt and concrete floor, it was opened sometime in the late 30s and closed in 2005-6 - its since been turned in to a non automotive paint store which I actually use when I need to get house paint - after the auto shop closed they poured a new concrete floor in there and whenever I've been there, they keep "caution wet" signs over all the places that the cars once sat because the years upon years of oil are seeping up thru the floor.

about ratcheting wrenches, I was feeling frisky a few years back and bought full size and stubby sets in SAE from harbor freight. They aren't total garbage - they seem to work ok and I use them often. My biggest complaints are that i often find myself getting the end on to a tough to reach bolt then realizing i have to take it off and flip it over which is kinda a pain in the rear end. also, the HF sets do not come with 11/16 which is a very common size that I use - this frustrates me more than anything. I also have a set of early gearwrench ones with the tilty heads, I don't use those as often because they are very bulky, they aren't even in the drawer with the other wrenches .

is it kinda crazy that I have like 4 full-ish sets of box wrenches?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I recently did a horn install on the firewall of my roadster, I was pissed the gently caress off, as I have been since I got them, with my harbor freight step bits.

so thanks to a youtube channel that I'm obsessed with as a guilty pleasure, project farm, I picked up these baddies:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA17...11637352&sr=8-1

holy... poo poo... they straight up vaporized the metal that I tried them out on.. probably the fastest step bits ive ever used - early fords have some of the beefiest sheet steel ever used in cars, and these bits cut thru it like it was butter. highly recommended.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I went the Makita route long ago and haven't looked back - but some of the dewalt peripherals are really good stuff.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
exactly - I really want one of those Milfucky ratchets - the m12 variant with the flush mount pistol magazine style battery, but I just cant pull the trigger on it knowing full well it would be the only non Makita, that being said, their offering for powered ratchets sucks!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

I could almost justify going with a full M12 line of tools, just for the stubby 3/8 impact and the compact ratchet, then it wouldn't compete with my buy-in to DeWalt's 20V line.

exactly - those are the only ones that I really want - one of my favorite drills i ever had was the makita small one... 12v i think, the white one - it was perfect for little precise stuff, it got stolen when I was on location a long time ago and I just never replaced it - but the M12 stuff looks similar

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I have this bamboo wall covering stuff in our bedroom - its basically a woven, pressed wood panel, too thick to cut with any sort of sheers or knife and too thin to be cut with a circ saw or sawzall I used a osculating tool to cut the holes in it for switch boxes and windows - I set up some fences for it out of aluminum stock I had and went to town - I got a bi-metal blade for it and I actually used it to demo a fence by plunging it in to the wood and thru the head of a screw - I havent used it in a year, but I know I have it, and I know its capabilities.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
HIIIOOOOOOOO

got my new gut tickler out back behind the shed- she needs a new belt and a good rewire job, but she works just fine - another one ticked off the list of my 40s craftsman collection - may not look like it, but this hernia heavy.

do I.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

or do I.....

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Twist-Plus-Link-V-Belt/dp/B08D8ZL9PM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=link+v+belt&qid=1612852432&sr=8-3

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Whichever is more convenient.

Of course it's heavy, it's basically solid cast iron.

Does that have a riving knife? If not fabricate one ASAP or be REALLY careful not to smash yourself in the face with wood, also make sure you always use push-blocks.

no knife, we die like real men... lol... i kid - I learned how to use a table saw on a model just like this one, in fact, this very well might be the one I learned on. (long story) - I took a few cuts on it in its diminished state and man, this thing really needs to be dialed in, in many ways. I don't know if you could even put a knife on this thing as it sits, I don't plan on using it for lots, I've gotten away thus far with a circ saw, altho I wish I had had this thing for a number of projects.

Table saws always need to be treated with respect - I began using one at a very early age and I have never ever lost respect of become complacent while operating one, I've had kickbacks, but luckily always been able to know they were coming and avoid the big hurt. also safety glasses.

honestly what's the most important is dialing your fence in square to avoid any binds, its got a few adjustments you can make on them, but this thing really just needs a good cleaning and oiling - I may even go so far as to get some UHMW pieces cut to line the fence with, as is the norm on modern fences.

Cat Hatter posted:

How do you access the blade on that thing?

its a lovely night shot picture, but it has a removable flush mounted plate around the blade like any other saw - just hard to see because the thing is coated in a nice, even layer of dust and grime

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Thats a fantastic tutorial - I used to make zero clearance inserts for tools at the shop I'd moonlight at - we also had a cnc router so it was super easy to just draw it and cut one. never thought about making a splitter like that but that's drat cool - I wonder if you could use an piece of aluminum rather than the wood for a bit more of a strong surface - hmmm I'll be thinking about this

I've been using table saws like this one pretty much my whole life, as a matter of fact, this very saw may have been my grandfathers, but there's no substantiating that - this belonged to a friends dad who passed away in 2015, he was an avid junk hunter and garage sale'r - He lived just a block from my grandparents house, and after my grandfather passed in 97, my grandmother took it in her own hands to decimate his garage and sell off all his tools - I begged my mom not to let this happen, but I was just a kid and I really had no say in it. My friend remembers his dad getting this saw in the same time period so it very well may have been my grandfathers - there is obviously no way to prove it but stranger things have happened between our families - our kids are now the 4th generation of friendship.

slidebite posted:

I sell all that poo poo to some clients. The Jason is OK, fenner and Gates are probably the best... but for table saw I can't imagine it's a problem either way.

Why don't you want to use a regular V-belt? What kind of shape are the sheaves in?
e: Me speak english good

The whole thing is in "as is, set up condition 50 years ago - I have quite a bit of cleanup to do on the thing, one of my OCD things is that the tables on these old craftsmans are as close as I can get them to being true flat - I spent a long time getting my bandsaw pretty good and I assume this will probably be a long process - its a shame because I don't have room for it indoors, only in my outdoor shop thats covered from the elements, but open air on a slab.

I'd get a regular v belt, but this one is cooked, stretched and coming apart so I don't think I'd get an accurate measurement from the remaining - the link belts have always intrigued me and I'd love to give them a try. the sheaves are very nice - this thing hasn't had a lot of use, its problems come from lack of cleaning rather than wear

I haven't really torn in to this thing yet as wood projects are pretty low on my priority list, however I can see myself getting this up and going before the end of the year.

EDIT:

just doing some poking around for vintage craftsmans with mods came across this interesting piece:

Seems legit...

I must say, I'm really impressed with all the recommendations regarding safety and these old tools - I've been so accustomed to being so cautious with these machines that upgrading them with some simple safety features has literally never entered my mind.

another dangerous tool that I own is this beast:

mine is a 1954 DeWalt Power Shop radial arm saw, if those last 3 words dont strike fear in to you, then just take a look at this lovely brochure on the operation of this incredible tool

Super portable at only 130 lbs!

but the absolute best... is this

yes they advise you walking a 4x8 sheet in to a blade spinning directly at gut level...

so, i did the wise thing:

but believe it or not, I actually like using the old dewalt too.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 10, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

OH NO, OH JESUS gently caress NO! Pushing towards the saw too, so if the plywood breaks or you stumble you go straight into the machine.

my thought was trying to juggle the two sides if you managed to somehow make it across the gauntlet of death and fumbling right in to that blade.

I'd known about these awesome machines for a long time, one came up on a facebook group along with a few other tools for basically free - I'm completely obsessed with the finish on these dewalts is this awesome chartreuse green with black and gray speckles - I started collecting the cool print materials on these, as well as some attachments, including a reciprocating saw head that fits on the motor, and I picked up this brochure at a flea market and my jaw hit the loving floor when I saw this photo - there are some other gems in there too, but this one was the worst

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Took some more pics of the finger taker 5000

its just really.. dirty, its been outdoors for a long time - if I get some time I'm going to give it a real good cleaning and see where we can start.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
why do they insist on bright color plastic handles? based on looks alone that looks like a lovely tool, but a very cool concept, however I seem to recall seeing a very old version of this with a nice knurled handle at a tool swapmeet -

in other news - I feel like I made an adult decision today, I need a nice set of snap ring pliers, instead of going to buy another set of HF ones (the previous ones I've had from them last exactly 1 job before they bend and become launched in to the can) I did some looking and bought the channel lock ones with the replaceable tips.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've had Makita for years - I love it, however the only tool I lust for that is a bit lacking in the Makita universe is the Mil(fuckey) M12 3/8 ratchet. -

yeah, I know... https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XLT02...13430826&sr=8-4

but the form factor of this is pretty weak compared to the red one.

Pre Edit: I actually just found this one that looks wayyyyyy more appealing to me... may or may not have made it in to my shopping cart:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RW01R...13431116&sr=8-2

I have:

drill (just replaced my 10 year old white one with the bad rear end new teal one) its a fuckin monster - the old white ones are kids toys compared to the new gen of brushless, but hey, the white ones really held their own

impact driver - the white one still functions fine for driving screws and with the 3/8 square drive adapter its good for quite a bit

1/2" impact gun for lug nuts - total game changer, but I don't use as much as the others because I'm not always doing lug nuts - kinda a frivolous purchase, I was ballin at the time, but every time I use it I'm glad I have it

angle grinder - I havent touched my corded since I got it - and I find myself using a grinder more for things that I would have tried to work around - its a really well engineered tool and its fantastic even with the goofy form factor of the battery

sawzall - also an awesome tool, use it frequently and it actually out preforms my old craftsman corded one.

hand held circ saw - totally an awesome tool - struggles a bit on dense hardwoods, but there hasn't been one task it hasn't been able to handle.

the absolute most useful tool I've bought last year is 100% the leaf blower - I didn't know I needed it as much as I did until I got it. I use it daily and I love it.

I have a few more I'd really like to get - namely jigsaw, orbital sander, die grinder and that ratchet - and im sure there's more that I'd like but don't know it yet.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
been thinking about a parts washer too - done some quick investigation - basically every parts washer available is from china - the consensus is that the pumps really suck and fail pretty quickly, if you do some looking, guys cobble together replacements that are pretty stout. Back when, parts washers used all kinds of nasty solvents that eat pretty much anything and are very dangerous to you. There are much cleaner alternatives, but a lot of folks swear by diesel fuel.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you live in a 50's safety PSA? Look around and see if anything is in color.

:coolzone: I do and no, things aren't in color yet.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ah.. say it aint so, I really enjoy that guy's vids.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
started working on this adorable little belt driven grinder today - I have a motor for it and this was fully functional up until the home made wooden stand for it succumbed age and termites

this thing was crusty - I still have a lot of cleaning to do, but my hands just cant take any more abuse for a few days.

planning on hitting it with the color that all vintage tools should be;

this stuff is RARE - i went to a local mom and pop hardware store and scored these 3 cans of it - I guess Hammerite stopped making this color a few years back and guys in vintage tool and radio communities have been paying up to $40-50 for a can of it - these cans have a date stamp of 08/2012 so... lets hope they work.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've had like 3 instances this week where I wish I had a power ratchet. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on the makita - you fuckers are really making me want to spend some bucks.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Bouton's forever!

https://www.amazon.com/Bouton-249-5...396&s=hi&sr=1-1

I had a professor in college that swore by these, I bought some, loved them, then they got lost or someone walked off with them within the year - forgot about them - watched the project farm safety glasses video about a year ago and was taken back very quick - ordered all 3 types, clear, sunglasses and the IR version for using the laser cutter/plasma - I love them, wear the clear ones almost daily - my wife actually appropriated the sunglasses and wears them as her daily shades, once I figured out she took them, i took the side guards off for her and they actually look pretty stylish on her.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the makita ratchet that's so popular right now is actually 12v and not the 18v that is the universe I am currently in. Makita has a 18v ratchet and I'm not in to it, so I did the right thing and bought the Mil(fuckey) M12 stubby 3/8 - my OCD is pretty upset about this, but the form factor of the red one is so much better, its cheaper, magazine style battery, compact - WHATEVER! then i saw more M12 stuff... I'm hosed.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

You picked up the Stubby impact and not the ratchet? Interesting turn. You know what happens next right?

No, I got the stubby ratchet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HSX1TTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- I really didn't want to change brands, I really love my makita stuff, but the fact that their comparable also takes a different battery and charger as well kinda made up my mind to just buy the one I want -

this is the comparable:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RW01R...951&s=hi&sr=1-1

round tool, square, backwards battery - it just looks kinda hokey - Once again Project Farm kinda made up my mind for me

I see myself packing this thing when going racing or just on a longer trip with an old car -

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I have the classic Weller gun that was passed down from my grandfather - worked great for anything I had to do - a few years back a co-worker was cleaning out her granfathers garage and handed off an NOS weller gun from the 50s - full kit - Holy poo poo - my grandpas gun worked great, but a brand new one that sat on the shelf for 60 years? the best soldering Ive ever done.

I don't do enough soldering to be after a really good iron style, but if I did, some of the ones you guys are posting make my tool sense tingle.

also, i guess I'm a crazy gentleman

Also, I bought a crimper -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMB61J5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I'm pumped!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'd say file that sucker

but....

a few years back I bought a really intense tap and die set that came from Lockheed - its in a gigantic box about 40"x 40" x 1" - its got some really obscure poo poo in there and its just silly, lemme have a look in there and see if I have one you can maybe borrow

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Motronic posted:

I am interested in a link to a set like this, but I'm already afraid of the price.

IIRC it doesn't even have a brand associated with it - it was at an estate sale, the mans grandson was running it - there was all kinds of tools and stuff that he had had over the years. I think I paid 30-40 bucks for it among other cool stuff. Here in LA you will often come across really incredible sales of these old guys that spent a lifetime in aerospace machine shops, then had their own home shops as well which were just scaled down versions of what they were used to at work. These kinds of sales really get me manic and I make a b line straight to the garage and shops.

I'm talking about it this set kinda loosely because I cant remember where I put it - it was a huge flat box and it obviously didn't fit in any of my tool boxes, it had some smaller sizes, but being as that there was some redundancy to my tap and die sets that I actually do use, I put it somewhere in the garage where it'd be out of the way, and I know there was some weird stuff in there - I also used it once to extend the threads on a bicycle fork which is like a 1 inch fine thread deal - the last time I used it was to clean up the threads on some suspension part for a big old 40s cadillac my buddy was working on

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The same way Harbor Freight omits 11/16 from their ratcheting wrenches - 11/16 is so common on the 90 year old car I wrench on so frequently....w a i t a .. minute....

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
to update on the eRatchet saga -

holy poo poo how did I live without this for so long.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
totally cheat mode - I was looking for poo poo to take apart with it - it seems I always buy tools after I'm done with the task I really wanted it for in the first place

as far as standard ratchets I go between my "circle H" craftsman which were made between 1931 and 1947

which looks like this minus the bakelite handle (this one is super rare) mine just has a knurled metal grip:

its really a great ratchet - compact, easy to switch directions and the teeth arent as sloppy as you think they would be

and my modern craftsman professional for the tight areas where I need more clicks

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Ne...5097188&sr=8-14

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
na version - https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XRW01...15241014&sr=8-3

having just ordered a red team one with battery and charger for less money than this one alone, I'm... kinda ok with that.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Any of you guys in to numbered drill bits? Whats the deal with them? I have an ages old chart that shows the cross overs and I bought a cool old numbered bit holder with no bits, its been kicking around my garage for so long and today I started thinking about buying a cheap set of numbered bits to fill it - my drill bit selection is all over the board, I have a few really nice sets that are fractional and in their own boxes and then a drawer full of ones I use and abuse that are just arranged by size from various cheapo sets I've bought over the years.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
realllllllly touchy topic - for me, I wouldn't go any other way than Thorogood - I've had Redwings, really great boots, but I prefer the Thorogood for comfort and quality. I'm a casual user and I don't own any steel toes anymore because I simply don't need that kind of protection anymore, but when I did, they were Thorogoods

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Can you believe someone was throwing this extremely dangerous thing away?

it needs a cord replacement, but I really don't think I'm man enough for this thing - its comically heavy- I think this just may be garage decor - I don't feel like getting electrocuted, breaking my wrist, removing a finger or slicing an artery with this thing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I use kerosene for my lanterns, but man.. its expensive and hard to find in the city - I've been trying to find it in the gallon tins, but pretty much every LA hardware store charges quite a bit of money for it and its always in the lovely plastic jugs. I don't really feel right ordering it from amazon.

lanterns for reference:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
garage door opener: is a genie thats been faithfully working since 1994ish? - I don't use it anymore, I have the garage on hand operation only, because its pretty much open all day every day - its a long driveway with detached garage. I'm planning on building a carriage style bi folding door with windows soon

Digi calipers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSDP3W7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
definately cheap, but better than HF and all metal body - I bought it a few weeks before covid struck, use it at least 3-5x a week - battery still holding up - I wouldn't trust them for super critical stuff but does well enough for me.

non digi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8N64Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
these really should cost a lot more than they do, these are super awesome and really really well made.. also, learning to read a non digital calipers was super helpful

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

both problems solved by moving out in the boonies

:golfclap:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PitViper posted:

Makita 36V leaf blower

I have the homegamer special single 18v. the thing has become a daily user for just about everything - I can't recommend it enough. Also, if you're an adult, buying a leaf blower is a life changer.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XBU03...33393473&sr=8-4

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
so you want to talk about tool boxes?

These are all really old pictures, but I have a really bad obsession with vintage tool boxes, mostly Kennedy - it all started with this:

this was my grandfathers box that was issued to him in 1936 when he got a job at Douglas Aircraft.

again, these are all old photos but at last count I had 10 kennedy boxes with something like 80 drawers? I also love small hand boxes and I have one that floats from car to car with a basic mechanic kit, plus a made in USA rigger bag that I use to lug drills, impacts and recovery gear when on a car related trip.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

taqueso posted:

Rad. Can you show the insides of the Douglas aircraft box?

Frank Dillinger posted:

That Douglas box is so drat cool. Did it come with tools?

It came with a few. It's kinda a long story - After my Grandfather passed in 1997, my grandmother saw the way the wind was blowing with me and decided to give the box and its contents to me, instead of my older cousins who are 15 and 18 years older than me. If you look close at that picture you can see a pink sticker on the front of it - in pencil was written "this box and all its contents are property of lobsterboyx" - on subsiquent visits from my older cousins, half the sticker was torn off and some really nice stuff was removed from it. I paint them as monsters, but they aren't and our Grandfather was really special to all of us. What steams me the most about it is that neither of them are really in to this culture, and were more of keepsakes for them and I'm over here like "but I use this stuff.."

They took some really nice old well used Starret stuff, a killer old tap and die set, and some made in LA Plomb wrenches (later proto)

Last laugh is on them because I bought this house back, and now I have my grandfathers garage, and the tool box..

That photo was taken when I first got the house back and I was in the process of putting grandpa's garage back to how it was.

heres more details of it:

by '53 he was a foreman on the line for the DC passenger planes, he oversaw all the C-47's built during wartime

thats just some of the drawers with the cooler older stuff in them - all the bicycle stuff is my doing, but he did help me service my bikes before he passed.

here's my main stack today

this stack is right next to my bench and contains my most used tools

sadly they aren't old tools, but I do have some incomplete sets.

here's another top box I keep on the rack that has all my car specialty tools

plus I have 2 more of these one for knicknacks and one for my metric tools (who needs those... ) in a darker, less accessible spot

also while we're in here, here are some of my 40s craftsman "king seely:" power tools, bench grinder with a really cool deco stand that I think is a delta, and the drill press

and my band saw.

and my dewalt radial arm saw, aka the gut splitter that we've talked about before..

super compact yo...

here's my craftsman table saw

thanks for coming to my ted talk - im finna post this in my thread too..

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 7, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm guessing that's either a 1903 or M1 carbine stock standing up on the left. How close am I?

carbine! good eye. Thats a really nice Inland stock I have, eventually I'll put it on my inland, which currently has a even nicer NPM stock on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Floor jacks - I know this has probably been covered already, but my old 70's Lincoln gave up in an impressive way -

I had my 42 Buick on jack stands front and rear, no wheels, I was going to put the wheels on it and needed an extra inch to get the wheels to fit, so I lifted it up off the jack stands and as I was about to take a knee to adjust the jack stands when I heard a weird sound and the car slammed back down on the jack stands in the front. there was no damage, but it scared the poo poo out of me, the arm of the jack slammed back down and rocketed the lever downwards- now the little ram part that the lever actuates is stuck in the down position and wont come back up even with some persuasion - manually lifting the arm, it stays up but seems to retract slowly, all of that without weight, but as soon as I stand on it, it collapses - the lowering valve seems to be functioning as normal.

The big question is... Do I find someone to repair this beastly thing, or do I just go plop down on a HF Daytona 3 ton? It's not a collectible or cool looking jack, and I very much need a jack to function in my shop. I'll also add that this jack has served me really well for 20 years, I got this from a guy I worked for as a teen as a "let this make you some money" thing, but its functionality has never been stellar, many pumps to get it to working height, it takes a lot of pressure to actually lift things so I knew this day would come, and because of that I never, ever, not one time, trusted any part of my body under a car it lifted without jackstands and a shake test, not even for a quick tire change, this fucker probably weighs 120 pounds too - the lever/handle is.. SOLID, not hollow if thats any indication of its duty level.

My only hold up is that I can feel the heavenly gaze of my depression-era generation grandfather saying "fix it lobsterboyx, its better than any of that new crap out there" - this literally just happened at 10p, so I don't even know if theres any places that could repair them, or if its something I want to get in to myself...