Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Soak in kerosene/diesel gets most gunky poo poo off metals in my experience. Doesn't hurt aluminum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You buy poo poo at Hoser Freight, you take your chances.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pretty sure on a Cavalier you're not supposed to change the oil and the rest of the car is knackered by the time the engine seizes.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I've had the 12v Makita 3/8" drill and 1/4" impact for a few years, they held up well to my frequent abuse. The drill got a bit wobbly and the impact isn't as strong as other 12v tools I've compared it to (Dewalt and Milwaukee) but the kit was cheap on Black Friday. Switched over to 12v Milwaukee after nothing but good times with the 18v stuff.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya and here it is with a slide hammer:

https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475855781/hydraulic-wheel-hub-puller-with-hammer-set-10-ton

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FUEL tools have brushless motors - longer run times and less maintenance.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have one of these Facom wrenches:

Has never failed me.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It isn’t, BMWs have the same thing and don’t suck.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bellhousing bolts when M20-powered, I believe.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I saw that when I didn’t have my battery fully inserted. Maybe you have something up in there preventing full penetration?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m a big fan of spline drive sockets/wrenches, they fit almost everything and grip like hell. I’ve yet to round anything off with them that wasn’t already a rusty mess.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I fix boats, and most bronze marine fasteners have what superficially looks like a Phillips head, but it’s actually Frearson. Phillips don’t fit well at all, gotta have the special bit. On the plus side, they don’t cam out as easily, and since the bronze is usually half-gone after 20 years you spin the whole head off instead of stripping it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Take a video.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I mean if you can’t do 75-100 lb-ft by feel then just put the wrench down and call somebody.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Nthing the M18 turbo nut fuckers. If that won’t budge it, get a saw.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Costco has the Quickjack 5000slx on sale for $999, shipping included, on their website.

I ordered this yesterday, gonna jack up my M5 every night just for fun.

Is there any reason to spend a lot of money on crow's foot wrenches? Thinking about ordering this and this from Amazon.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My immediate need is to tighten some nuts for a sink faucet, no way to get normal wrenches in the area. I've had instances where I needed some larger ones for similar low-access plumbing stuff. None of the plumbing stuff I see is metric.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i hope you bought the 1/2 instead of 3/8

As the owner of a fuckoff huge 1/2" Milwaukee impacter, I would probably use that 3/8" far more frequently. The 1/2" is great when you need the Nut Fucker 5000, but it's huge and loving heavy. That stubber looks like a great size, I may have to buy one for myself...

angryrobots posted:

Sounds like you need a basin wrench.

You're right, that's a sweet tool. As a bonus, I was going through my father-in-law's garage so we could hide any tools that are remotely useful or destructive (his Alzheimer's is getting worse and he's a bad DIYer on a good day) I found a telescoping one. :hellyeah:

We also found a WWII RPG that we missed in the first couple of weapons sweeps.

I also got the small Tektron crow's foot set, which looks fine and comes with a decent metal rack.

Two of the three boxes for the Quickjack showed up, the other one got put on the wrong truck and has been going back and forth between Oakland, San Rafael, and SF for the last few days. No Sat delivery so I can't get my jack-off until Wednesday. :facepalm:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a bunch of these Klein bags that I like a lot:

Utility Bag, Zipper Tool Bags in Olive, Orange, Blue, Yellow, 12.5-Inch Canvas, 4 Piece Klein Tools 5140 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MKDUKU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tadkCb72PMGSH

I also use a canvas bucket thing from Harbor Freight to carry parts and assorted poo poo around when I’m not bringing my full kit with the hand truck. This guy:

https://m.harborfreight.com/round-canvas-bag-94320.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For socket racks, I have a bunch like this:

And a bunch like this:

Both are fine. The plastic ones are easier to trim to length, and you can find both styles in different colors. My tools travel a lot, so I put a premium on the rack not shedding its contents when it's in a bag or I drop it versus standing up in my toolbox.

The stamped metal HF ones are trash.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya for real are you Shaq?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Latching drawers are a waste of time.

Look at Mr Cool Guy with the level floor, and no coworkers to foil with your locked toolbox.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Or maybe a Harbor Freight set of O2 sensor sockets?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

revmoo posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907274

1/2 Milwaukee impact with battery for $250

I have that, can confirm it’s awesome.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Kastivich posted:

It wont let me add those ratcheting wrenches to my cart. Is it working for anyone else?

Same, “something went wrong on our end, try again.”

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Seriously, just get ABA clamps like a normal person. Tbolts are cool for big stuff but normal cooling system poo poo they’re not necessary.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For what it’s worth the 5000 doesn’t quite hit the factory jack pads on the front and rear of my E38 or E39 BMWs but the cars seem fine with the rear one being on the sill a few inches forward. No embarrassing YouTube videos yet, anyway.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Yesterday I helped conceive a baby on the side of a road thanks to my Wera laser tips.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can't wait for Harbor Freight to enter the hot air balloon market.

I assume they would call that product line "Icarus International" or something of the sort.

:discourse:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

How evil would it be to have a bunch of sockets made that are 9.5mm but are embossed 10mm that I can just leave in people's garages and cars?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m so stoked Milwaukee is finally doing an M18 router.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I struggle to justify spending a lot of money on sockets, I have a bunch of Harbor Freight ones that have been powering for years, and I really can’t tell the difference between them and the Snapon ones I have functionally. The ratchets are a different story, but sockets I just have a hard time distinguishing.

The only exception are the Matco spline sockets I have, they are hella grippy on crusty nuts and I love them. I only have 1/4 drive ones. A+ would buy again in all sizes. I have spline drive ratcheting combo wrenches from Matco too and they are also tits.

nitsuga posted:

The slim Astro Pneumatic impact sets are pretty cool. Impact-rated but light, slim, and you can put a wrench on them in a bind.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JBOSSSQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I have these and the stumpy sockets are so great.

I have a lot of sockets y’all.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 16, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hey guys, I have a new project that requires me to make some metal patches.

I’m thinking to form them I’m going to want a shear, a brake, and a shrinker/stretcher set. Any reason to spend more than Harbor Freight money on these things? Anything I’m not thinking of that’s going to make things easier?

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 29, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I call my little driver the Nutfucker 1500, the 3/8 stubby is the Nutfucker 5000, and the 1/2 high torque is the Nutfucker 9000. Never had the 9000 fail me except when I just couldn’t get the thing to fit. That said the stubby is a champ and I could do 95% of my work with it alone if I had to.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

3 stars didn’t make my tools lighter

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bag chat: I have some medium sized CLC bags with flap on the front that are basically my ‘EDC’ when I’m going to a job. They are tough as nails, I’m not a gentle man. I also have a Milwaukee Packout open topped bag and a bunch of the various sizes of packout boxes and they are all great. Prior to packout I used a lot of orange Plano boxes to organize small parts and tools and they are cheap and good. They don’t stack though which is a miss. I also had a Husky 15” or 20” open bag for a long time which was perfectly good, I just wanted to get a packout one so they would all stick together.

My buddy used to carry the big CLC backpack and he loved it but the zipper failed at one point (because he had 50 pounds of tools in it probably). I think he replaced it with the same bag and is still rocking it today.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha the HF heat guns are so bad. I think I bought one and was gifted a few and the switches are rated for maybe 50 actions.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha that’s white people for you. I live in one of the whitest, wealthiest counties in the country and it’s pretty annoying. Everyone here is a total Karen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Also do it indoors on a rug like that other video.