Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

whiskas posted:

Is it safe to unscrew bolts with a torque wrench?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The shop I work on stuff at has one of these things

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17892-Transmission-Drain-Funnel/dp/B0002SR6WA

You can get bigger/different ones as-needed. They make it far easier to not make a mess, especially since we put it as close to the oil pan as possible using an adjustable cart.

The oil extractor things seem like a complex solution to a simple problem.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I used up my gift card at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one of their new Pittsburg Pro 3/8" ratchets.

I loving love the feel of this thing, and it feels much higher quality than my craftsman ratchet (though that one's a bit longer).

I'm not used to their stuff feeling like such high quality... does anybody else have any real-life experience with these?

When doing a casual comparison between that, the standard craftsman wrench, and the 80ish tooth Snap-on ratchets, the HF ratchet is 80% as nice as the snap-on, and seems to be able to take abuse OK.

Snap-ons are still shaped better, thinner, have a better feel, and are probably stronger, but poo poo, :10bux:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

What is everyone's favorite bench grinder?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Can this thing actually air-up tires or is it a pile of poo poo?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

I've got the super cheap yellow one that they have on sale for, like, $6 sometimes and it works fine. It's loud and slow, but cheap and works.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Argenteus posted:

I'm going to start working in a shop soon and I'm looking for some 1/2" air impact recommendations. I was eyeing the aircat 1150 on amazon which seems to be well regarded. Anything else I should be looking at? I don't mind spending some money if it means I'll have it for years to come.

This is probably a bad recommendation, but I spent quite a bit of time using a (super expensive) snap-on one and it was AMAZING. Like, seriously amazing.

That reminds me... I want one.

edit:// I am pretty sure it's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjn9GEcwzw

Holy poo poo, amazing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just bought a BluePoint smoke tester. Holy gently caress the fluid is expensive... And they sure do scare you into not using baby oil. What do I do?!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Ha, what? First smoke tester I've ever heard of that didn't use baby oil.

It requires something called UltraTrace, it's supposed to not cause issues with evap canister charcoal. Look up how much a bottle of UltraTrace UV goes for...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

bolind posted:

And yeah, BMW spark plugs, for one, is some weird 12-point standard. Because Bavaria.

Holy poo poo please please please tell me you're joking. Even if you aren't, please lie and say it's a joke.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

What do the led lights offer over $15 fluorescent fixtures?

Also far less heat output. Our shop can be nice and pleasant on a hot day when you walk in but turn the lights on and uuugh it gets hot.

It's also fairly pleasant in the winter after the lights have been on a while so give and take...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Removing valve covers is usually easier than replacing the brake pads on a lot of cars. Easier than replacing spark plugs too.

Do a Subaru and tell me what you think.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Nissan headlight bulbs are all pretty easy, in and out in under five minutes on any current model.

That is the most false loving thing I've ever heard, unless Nissan has changed in the last 5 years.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Well, I haven't done an NV van's headlamp bulbs, but I didn't think of them right away because the Nissan dealer I worked for didn't offer them on-site and they're pretty new still for burnt bulbs. But yeah, all the other current models. You might be terrible at it? v:v:v Because I have less wiggle room than the average tech with these absurd bear paws for hands, and I don't have a problem on anything in the current lineup, or the stuff that got replaced this year or last year. Hardly anything has an obstruction that doesn't come out in under a minute.

It helps build speed to not get paid anything if a customer buys the bulb at Parts and then asks if we could put it in :suicide:

I'm probably bad at it. But an... poo poo, 2007? Altima is a total pain in the dick. As is a newer Xterra and a google confirmed that I wasn't alone in my hatred of Nissan headlight bulb replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have a cheap Amazon-sourced soldering station and it works way better than my digital Weller station that always seemed to eat tips and whatnot, even after I sprang for a new wand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087832Y16?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I paid $48 back in 2020, it’s $44 right now