Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hit an Apex posted:

Intercomp 360060 0-60 Tire Gauge from Summit - $60

The last tire gauge you will ever buy.

This was the last tire gauge/inflater I bought. The 0.5 psi digital readout comes in handy if you deal with cars with TPMS.

leica posted:

Thank god I never have to go to a shop for tire rotation ever again.
How do you balance them? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Michael Bolton posted:

Also, a 12-point socket can be used to drive bits that are 4-sided. I used a 12-point socket with an easy-out bit that was 4-sided.
12-point wrenches can be used on e-torx bolts. I have an 8mm ratcheting wrench that I bought for E90 steering columns.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

What exactly constitutes "inexpensive?"

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Mini-Torque_Wrench.htm
That's only $35 which seems like a deal to me.
10 ft-lbf is a lot more than 12 in-lbf.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cenuji posted:

It's definitely preferable to do that. Impact sockets are made from harder steel than regular sockets, so they don't twist as much as regular sockets on each impact. Since any force that doesn't get transmitted to the nut is useless, you won't get quite as much torque out of it with regular sockets as you would with impacts.
Impact sockets are actually softer than regular chrome sockets, so they don't shatter.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CatBus posted:

Don't forget, impact sockets are also thicker than regular sockets, so clearance is often an issue.
Yeah, I have to use regular sockets on wheels with deep lug holes. An impact socket would bang against it and chip the paint or chrome.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

oxbrain posted:

Torque sticks aren't that accurate.

Torque a bolt down with the torque stick, then break it loose with a real torque wrench set to the same torque. I'll bet it releases early.
It helps to have a powerful impact gun and a compressor that can handle it.

I hope you guys are only using torque sticks on wheels, since that's the only thing they're designed for.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

How do you calibrate a torque wrench, or check to make sure it is calibrated?
You send it to the manufacturer or a calibration facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Taymar posted:

I'm an idiot and need to ask this question again because I left out a critical fact.

Looking at vacuum bleeders for a complete brake fluid flush - Are there any larger capacity manual pump ones, or is a compressed air one necessary? I now see that all the hand pump types I've found only hold a few fluid oz of brake fluid, plenty for bleeding but probably nowhere near enough to flush the system. The compressed air systems seem to have a much bigger capacity. I'd also prefer to use a vacuum than a pressure system.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vac180051.html