Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.

Delivery McGee posted:

2nd tool from the right...it's a "Clench Wrench" and no matter what you may think, it actually has a place...

Certain inner tie rod ends do not have a hex to spin them by in order to adjust the toe, but instead have splines, made to be grabbed by channel locks. Well, in really lovely situations (i.e. you work with me in the rust belt, doing alignments on rusty shitboxes) channel locks just cant grab it hard enough to turn it. The clench tightens more as you turn it, thus digging deeper into the splines and gripping really loving hard. Works like a charm.

I'm not going to lie to you though, that is really the only thing it can grab. Slips like a wet vagina on glass with almost anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.
I just bought one of these: http://www.maxidas.com/

So far, all I can say is it takes forever to update. You'd think for the price it would have a faster wifi adapter in it. I could always pull the SD card and update it in my laptop, but :effort:

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you have a compatible vehicle list?

If its good for Range Rovers, (specifically the P38's and L322's), it would be nice to have a tool for the E60 as well.

But I also have a dumb plan to go all Rover here in the near future.

http://www.maxidas.com/coverage/index.aspx?page=1

If you go to that link and page over to find Land Rover, then click on the logo it will bring up a compatible vehicle list.

Seriously though, if it has a diagnostic port it should have full dealer-level capabilities and output controls. I've been playing around with it the past couple of days and it really is awesome, especially for the price. Yes, it seems like a lot (I paid $1800 to get a legit unit, some of the ones available online are the Chinese versions and cannot be updated in the U.S.) but compared to buying the next most capable unit (the Snap-On Verus PRO (about $10k) or buying each dealer scan-tool separately, it is one hell of a bargain.

Most people on here wont be able to justify the price, but those of us that do this for a living really can appreciate the value of a tool like this.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If your dealing with specialty vehicles, its actually quite worth the price to have 1 tool to do all the work.

Seeing how I really do like odd ball vehicles, this would be worth it. I can easily sell my Hawekeye Scan tool for rovers and purchase this, work for both my BMW and Rover.

And seeing how I would eventually like to purchase a Jaguar later down the road, a tool that can do all the odd ball cars I love so much, it would be worth it for me.

I reprogrammed some keys for a Chrysler Town and Country with it today. It was so sweet telling my boss "No, we don't need to send it to the dealer. I can do it here :smug: "

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004

Simkin posted:

I need a recommendation on a decent, inexpensive paint gun. Prime sources would be from Princess Auto and :canada: Canadian Tire, but if the price is right I'd consider ordering online. I don't plan on doing any huge project - just a motorcycle fairing or three.

I sprayed my motorcycle, a workbench, and the bed and front fenders on my f350 with this : http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-69705.html

The gun itself was surprisingly nice, the operator was an idiot (me). The first couple times I used it didn't turn out so great, but after I figured out what I was doing it went really well. Just get some practice in before you spray the actual work.

Also, all paints behave differently when sprayed, so practice with the same poo poo you plan on using as your final coat.