Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

devnull420 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this post (maybe DIY forum?), but what tool would you guys use to get a broken bolt out of a concrete wall? I have a wooden gate that is bolted to a concrete wall with 2 big rear end bolts, but it's a very narrow squeeze for my car + my wife's car. When I first moved in I managed to hit the gate with my wife's car, and apparently lovely old rusty bolts are no match for toyota's amazing 325 lb-ft of torque. The bolt sheared off with part of the bolt stuck in the wooden gate (which I removed easily) and the rest firmly stuck in the wall (and now bent at an angle).

I tried using a big screwdriver and a hammer to chisel it out but that was definitely not going to work (at least not in a reasonable amount of time). I bought a diamond point bit for the dremel

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7144-Diamond-Taper-Point/dp/B00068OUMU

but haven't tried it out yet. It looks like it's meant for fine engraving but I'll see tomorrow.

Also, is there a good way to get a new bolt to stick back in? My ghetto fabulous plan is to get the bolt out, stick a new bolt through the gate into the hole left in the concrete wall, and then fill it in with pieces of broken concrete (have a bunch of it lying around) and concrete cement. I don't really have a great selection of tools (just the minimum I need to work on my car and various assorted others) so I'm trying to make do with what I got, no way to stick a new bolt into concrete (that I know of at least).

A bit, an extractor, and some rust breaker oil will often get them out. On the otherhand it is concrete, drill it out and fill it back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

oxbrain posted:

Check craigslist and start trolling garage sales. You can find complete or mostly complete tool sets for much cheaper than buying new. Bonus points if you can find old(pre-90s) craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc.

2nding this. I just picked up a set of old proto tubing wrenches over the weekend. My dad has a set and they are amazing, hence I had to pick these up when I saw them.