Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

clam ache posted:

For anyone with a horror freight flex head ratchet this video is hilarious and useful.
https://youtu.be/duxypQ66WcQ

That's pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can definitely get by with an inflator. I like my PC pancake but I use it for my brad nailer occasionally, and fill a lot of tires.

It's pretty useless running an impact or any air tools really. If you want that, gotta go bigger.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: compressors

Is there a definitive guide to the right way to design and set up shop air lines? I have a really nice brand new snap on air compressor (bought at a deal off craigslist) sitting in the corner of my shop.

Eventually I will run it, it might be in 20 years after I retire, but one day.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the horror freight Badlands 12000 lb electric winch is on black Friday 3 day sale for $279.99.

Anyone have any compelling reason to stay away? This is not being used for offroading, going on my car trailer for non-running vehicle (and poo poo) loading. The only negative opinions or whatever I can find are not from people who've actually used it or know of one actually failing. Most opinions or comparisons paint it as a good deal at the normal $400 price point.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress Sears and their lovely overpriced low quality tools. Good riddance.

(Although I took compete advantage of their appliance price matching and had them beat a Lowe's advertised sale price on a w/d set by, I think, 10%. It's me, I'm the reason they can't make money)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

One day sale at Home Depot -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0368321&cj=true

Milwaukee M18 2696-26 6-tool set with 2 batteries for $399. Pretty screaming deal if you're looking to start with a set. Same kit is $649 at Amazon right now.

That's a sweet deal. If I didn't already have 20v dewalt stuff I'd be all on that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the 301 piece mechanics tool set at harbor freight. I'm sure most of you get the coupon books and are familiar. Goes on sale regularly for $159.

I picked it up to flesh back out my old craftsman set that is very used and missing sockets. Besides the first impression that the ratchets are actually really nice (at least they are far better than the craftsman) and the sockets are all six point, an unexpected side bonus is that the two middle trays fit perfectly in two drawers of my (also craftsman, it was a CL steal) tool chest:

And for the bottom section, I trimmed it out with an oscillating cutter and it fits as well:

So I'm pretty happy to finally have an organized tool box. Every slot is labeled, even. The top section with the screwdrivers and hand tools, I dunno if it's worth taking up a whole drawer in my box (the pliers are junk) but could do the same with it if you wanted to.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Yeah the kits don't come with the impact wrench. That's what you want for automotive work but the impact driver is super handy and well worth having for household stuff too. Sorry if that was unclear.

Also works for smaller automotive fasteners, most anything that isn't brakes or suspension. They are usually compact and fit in tight locations.

And as you said, it is the best thing ever for wood screws.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Thanks for all the input. Looks like a 27 inch Huskvarna 2 stage is a grand, and the 24 inch is 800. Are the three inches worth it? :mmmhmm:

What about chainsaws?

I dunno poo poo about snow blowers, but I have a little 16" husqvarna chainsaw and I have cut down some plenty large trees with it...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

It doesn't matter, it's always buried under a half ton of crap and I end up working on the floor instead.

LOL yes. :effort:

Here's the only picture I have of it unmolested, right after I moved in.

It's my grandma's old kitchen cabinet lowers. I have the uppers shoved into a corner in case I ever get around to setting them up as well. I also have a heavy old metal office desk I got for fr$$, and a chair for seated work. It is also covered in crap.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This has probably been shared here already, but my FIL showed me this today and I hadn't seen it before:

link

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Only problem with that jack is it's a minimum of 11" high. You're not going to lift any cars with that unless you have another jack to get it started and slide under. For trucks that max height is 21" which is kinda small, it couldn't reach the frame rails on my Jeep for example and would be too tall to get under the diffs too. Neat idea if you have something it can work with.

Yes absolutely.

My FIL bought it to change tires on the large camper he's buying. I think for that it should work pretty well.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ordered, I think? No order number or confirmation email, haha.

I look forward to 60's catalog mail spam

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

the best way to deal with this is to use a service like citi rewind. citi will give you the difference in $ on your cc statement based on the price difference of the lowest price in the 60 days after you buy.

How easy is this in reality? You have to provide proof and submit a refund claim or its somehow automatic?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I also received mine, and even used it once to great success.

I gave the extra can, along with the SDS, to my mechanic at work who will give it a proper review, working on our raggedy rear end equipment.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo the new 60v dewalt string trimmer is expensive!

So I've already bought into the dewalt 20v tool set, and an electric string trimmer would be great if it works. I'm just not sure if the older 20v version will hang. I'd uh...have to burn up my old husqvarna before I bought the 60v version, yikes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Maybe he meant the opposite of the normal use of that emote? It's a weird context to just drop in there how well-off you are.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought wileyx frames with rx lenses from rx-safety.com, but it looks like there's a lot of options now like 4 years since I bought them.

The last set I actually bought from Wal-Mart eyewear, they honored my recent eye exam and had a good selection of rx Z87 frames at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, your options decrease with your level of correction so with heavy astigmatism my options were limited. (I had laser eye surgery last year, no regrets)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What are you doing that a sump plug needs a cheater bar?

To sorta answer the asked question, I bought a set of HF stuff as spares, and was surprised by the quality of the ratchets. Far better than my 10 year old craftsman stuff. I dunno if that's the "go to" AI preference.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have a fuckoff big pair of adjustable pliers that has yet to be beaten by an oil filter.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Hahahahahaha

Like the chain strap wrench I use, there's always something that'll let you get a good enough grip on an oil filter to remove at least half of it...

Come at me

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I know what ya meant, just taking the opportunity to post my redneck crank pulley holder.

And fortunately I've never ripped an oil filter, though I have boogered up a couple proper getting them loose.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My 20v dewalt sawzall only sees less use than the small impact, but I admit I'm using it away from power generally, on smaller/quicker cuts. It wouldn't be appropriate for heavy shop use.

Also, there's a knock-off 5 Ah battery for $39, and I'm pretty impressed by the performance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I don't want to turn the 3/8 in for replacement, because I know I'd get modern crap.

Ya, that's a 100% chance, cause they've been junk for a long time. My craftsman stuff is about 20 years old and the ratchets are garbage compared to even HF.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya?

...in similar news, one of my dewalt 20v packs just...died. Like, open connection completely died. By my reading it's still under the warranty, but I wonder if it's worth dealing with the warranty department, versus just getting a battery geek to look at it?

Also I bought a 20v blower, and it's pretty great. Sooo nice to ditch the cord finally.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Yep. I got one for my dad for Father's Day and it just showed up. One nice thing about electric is that the motor is right on the head, and the battery is all the way at the back, so it's nicely balanced and easy to maneuver. On top of that, it's got all kinds of rear end. I have a nice Echo trimmer and, I can't say if the Dewalt 60V has more or less power, but it's near as makes no difference. The thing is beastly in its cutting. Plus the convenience of just picking it up and using it, instead of 2 cycle gas, warmup, all that nonsense? It's the way to go.

Good to know. I'd go that way if I had to replace the old husqvarna....I only burn about a half tank per cutting so I bet the 60v would work perfectly for me.

Although RE: mixing gas...gently caress that, Trufuel or whatever premixed fuel goes on sale often enough. Plus it seems like everything runs better on it. That's probably my fault, cause I mix a little oil heavy to be "safe" (dumb)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Uhhhh how were they even involved? Tell them to leave, go inside and you'll handle it.

I'd call corporate. It's not their business how you load your personal vehicle, and that's ridiculous anyway. A vehicle that seats 5 can't handle a 140lb load?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This won't work for every phone (especially if you use a case), but as I work out of my truck, this is friggin amazing and worth every penny:

Forrader C3 Qi Car Charger Cup Holder Wireless + Wired 2 in 1 Charger for Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 7 and Other Qi-enabled Phones, Black (Be Applicable with Phone Less Than 5.3 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXECBA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZSnAzbF27PND7

Maybe a stretch of "tools" for the average definition, but in my case it definitely is a useful tool.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh I dunno about that stuff, I have a Samsung s6 active with built in Qi charging. I know they sell adapters, never used those though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That is pretty dang neat

To answer the question at hand, I had a trunk tool box which kept getting bigger, so I converted to a tool bag and was never really happy with the amount of sockets I could keep in there. I ended up getting the 225 piece HF tool set with molded case (sale price is $99). Pretty happy with the included sockets and ratchets. Just needs some additional extensions and a set of hex bits, imo. I keep those in my tool bag along with pliers and other hand tools.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Couple weeks ago, one of my dewalt 20v li-ion batteries completely died, out of the blue. I still have the receipt, was 2.5 yrs into a 3 yr warranty. I called the warranty line last Friday, expecting them to ask for a copy of the receipt, and maybe have to ship or take the battery to an authorized service center.

Nope. 5 minute conversation, they got the numbers off the battery, my name and address, and said a new battery would ship out via UPS. It came in the mail on Wednesday. I'm very happy with their customer service and warranty.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

1/4" is super handy yes, but it's not for lug nuts. A properly torqued lug that's been on for awhile will often take more than 125 ft-lb to break free. That's not even getting into breaking a lug that was installed by the average tire shop employee.

Now, if you break them by hand then lift the vehicle and zip them off with a 1/4 impact, I can see that working.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

:shrug: My real world experience differs and a 1/4" impact is just fine for breaking lugs, even with wheels in the air. My Jeep and GTO are all torqued to 100 ft lb at the lugs and never had issues. Friend has the same impact and pulls his Toyota and Mercedes lugs off just fine with it.

My big point is, a tiny $100 1/4 impact will always be handy in the garage. A monster 1/2" impact will sometimes be handy. Buy appropriately for your needs and it's not the end of the world to own both.

I'll grant after looking at specs that the dewalt brushless is rated about 35 ft-lbs higher than the brushed model (mine is the latter). ~25% more torque could definitely make the difference.

I don't disagree about how handy it is, either way. I'm always finding a use for mine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is there any particular reason to go cordless? If cost is a driving factor, a corded drill is far cheaper.

I've never drilled glass, but it strikes me as something that would chew through batteries?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lightning deal sale on Goodyear branded 12 ga 40' retractable extension cord. 50 bux off, less than 30 minutes remaining:

Goodyear Extension Cord Reel Heavy Duty, 40 ft., 12AWG/3C SJTOW, Triple Tap with LED Lighted Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFA35TG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XNIGzbR65JM9K

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought a spare off-brand clamp on multimeter from Lowe's that's been very functional for like $35. It's nice having an hvac multimeter so you can test caps, but that's rarely very important, or something you can't test in other ways.

I've posted this before, but this plug in automotive tester is very handy if you have an intermittent problem you suspect may be electrical/alternator in nature.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only problem I'd have with that, is that a wiring issue between your battery / alt and the power socket / lighter socket could cause troubleshooting errors if you rely on that as your only means of testing. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Oh I absolutely agree with that, my first choice would be a multimeter. But I've had a couple issues that were intermittent, so I like stuff I can observe while driving.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bolind posted:

Have you considered a couple of these instead?

I had a box like that, with the intention of lugging it around, and that happened precisely once. It's a right pain in the dick.

I did exactly the same, and that tool box is on a shelf.

I ended up buying a set of sockets/ratchets in a molded case just for mobile use, and using a tool bag for hand tools.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Personally I'd want a hammer drill, but maybe you have no use for one.

The 5 tool set (hammer drill, impact driver, sawzall, circular, light) goes on sale thanksgiving-Christmas time. I believe I paid around $450 for it. Found the receipt, it was $438 on 2/22/15.

Edit: yours isn't a bad deal if you won't use a hammer drill, and if you're getting it I recommend the sawzall, I use mine all the time. Can't remember the last time I got the corded one out.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol, I have a regular circular saw that I would use for anything serious. I don't do a lot of framing anyway. But I've found the sawzall handy building livestock fencing, vehicle and house demolition, tree pruning, etc. Plus with a corded sawzall it always seems like the cord is getting in the way and about to get chopped, so that's an improvement on its own.

Just depends on what you do more of?