Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Is it safe to unscrew bolts with a torque wrench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I just bought a 1/2" corded electric impact wrench. 7A 2000RPM 230ft/lbs

Now the trigger acts as a kind of rocker switch for changing the direction it turns. I'm sure this is a retarded question, but how do I torque something to less than the 230ft/lbs this thing is capable of doing? Is how much it tightens it based on how long I let her rip on a bolt? If so, how long would I hold the trigger down if I wanted to tighten a lug nut to 80ft/lbs or a crank pulley bolt to 105ft/lbs?

When would it not be safe to use just a regular socket on an impact wrench?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
So with an impact wrench, if it's rated to 230ft/lbs does it immediately torque the bolt to 230ft/lbs on the first hit, or how long would I have to hold the trigger down to torque it to the capacity of the impact wrench?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
My lovely little air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug died on me at the track last weekend.

So I just picked up a small oil-less air compressor. 3 gallon tank with max 100psi. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-FP204999AV-Compressor-Inflation/dp/B0002ZHBNM

I was wondering if it'll be sufficient enough to take the the track with me to inflate tires. Keep in mind I likely won't have access to a power cord, so assuming the 3 gallon tank is topped up to 100psi, will I have enough air to inflate 4 tires from 32psi to 45psi?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I have an electric impact gun, does about 250ft/lbs with a 1/2" drive on the end of it. Out of curiosity, if I have the right adapters and sockets, could I use it to drive screws into wood? I'm just wondering if there's any fundamental difference between an automotive impact gun vs. a carpenters impact driver like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzfjTbLcEw