Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

If I really work at it, I can roll my floor jack to the front jack point, but I don't have enough clearance to actually crank the handle.

What's an easy, available & safe way to get those few extra inches? Ideally one that doesn't involve buying or driving an hour and a half to borrow ramps. I've got jackstands, I just need to get the drat car up

Does the handle come off of your jack? If so, can you start it with something shorter (wrench, ratchet handle etc) and then put the handle back in. The first few inches should just be unloading the suspension so it should take less force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Like this but 1/4-20 and maybe 3/8 of an inch deep.

Not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but something like an EZ lock and cut/grind it down? They also have the part diagrams on the website and 1/4-20 might be available in 3/8 depth.

The best insertion tool to use is an Allen key machine screw with two nuts, so you can grind the top off and still install it anyway.

Link below is an example and isn’t the right size…

E-Z Lok Threaded Insert, Brass, Knife Thread, 8-32 Internal Threads, 0.375" Length (Pack of 25) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002WC8TPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F86PPTTE51YNSCXZSC1K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005
So I’m looking to buy a tool and can’t for the life of me figure out what to search for and this seems like the place to ask.

My dad has a 1/4 to 1/4 socket extension that’s about 1 inch long and has a knurled metal ring sticking out on the top. You put it between the ratchet and socket so you can start finger tightening or apply resistant where the bolt is too loose to do it on its own.

I want one but everything I’m finding is a finger ratchet or a knurled 1/4 to 1/4 adaptor without the ring sticking out.

Any ideas?

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

It's called a ratchet spinner or a spinner disk if I'm understanding you correctly.

https://www.amazon.ca/Williams-30010-4-Inch-Drive-Spinner/dp/B00JB5UZEQ

That is exactly what I’m looking for - thank you!

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Somewhere between big box store brand and like snap on/ matco etc.....

What is the quality of their ratchets like? I bought a 200 piece box of generic sockets because I don’t have space in my townhouse to bring my real tool kit in from my parents garage and I figured it’s pretty hard to screw up a 6 point socket.

So far I’ve been right about the sockets, but oh boy is it possible to make a ratchet suck……

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Buy a harbor freight fine tooth composite ratchet, or one of their nicer ones. A ratchet gets used every time you work on a car, it's worth buying a slightly better one.

I’m Canadian, so harbour freight ends up being expensive once you add receiving costs, driving to my P.O. Box across the border etc.

I bought the Tekton 1/4 drive ratchet and so far I’m impressed with the quality for $25 bucks (CAD).

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Bajaha posted:

For future Canucks, Harbor Freight is synonymous with Princess Auto up here, I'm almost certain they have the same suppliers for the majority of their house brand.

Speaking of house brands, Power Fist is the superior house brand with its wide range of products, suggestive name, iconic logo, and bargain pricing. Tell me I'm wrong :colbert:

I know, but then I would have to drive to the suburbs…

I find their tools to be rather janky at the best of times, but great for random things that are hard to screw up (like a socket in a random size) and not too tolerance specific or that you won’t use regularly. Their shipping is also very weirdly cheap, but slow

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Big Taint posted:

I haven’t actually been in a Canadian Tire or Princess Auto, my sense is that it would apply to both equally.

Crappy Tire’s stuff is significantly worse than princess auto in my experience. I’ve always got the feeling that princess auto is for people who are cheap and know what the deal is (low price and mediocre to poor quality).

Crappy tire is for people who don’t know what the deal is (medium to high price, mostly garbage).

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Uthor posted:

It's pretty much this thread!

In that case. How are their wrenches? I’m torn between getting a set of Tekton wrenches for 65 bucks or just spending 20-30 bucks at harbour freight and calling it a day. The biggest issue I see is that harbour freight skips some sizes.

Is there any perceptible difference for an occasional shade tree mechanic? Am I going to suddenly strip a bunch of nuts/bolts because I bought the cheap Harbor freight Pittsburg wrenches?

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Catatron Prime posted:

Probably fine, but like Slidebite said, it's a tool that'll last a lifetime, so why not make it something a bit nicer? The older hf wrenches I know from like 10+ years ago were trash, but qc is probably a lot better now, and the market conditions are different. When you can buy the absolute bottom barrel from temu, and next day ALLCAPS amazon brands, hazard fraught has probably had to shift upwards a notch or two since they have a physical location and actual return policy.

I’ll probably wait and get Tekton. I have a full socket set, duplicates, impact etc. there have just been a few times recently where I needed wrenches and realized wrench pliers aren’t cutting it.

Why do I have several tool kits, socket sets etc and no wrenches? I honestly have no idea, just never really needed wrenches until now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Picked up XS versions of the pliers wrench and cobra because they were like $20 ea, but mostly because tiny tools are amusing, and perhaps maybe someday useful.

Where did you find a pair for $20? I’m insanely jealous….