Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Best $35 I ever spent. Combined with a Snap-On torque stick, dealing with wheels is a breeze. Thank god I never have to go to a shop for tire rotation ever again.

HF is like heaven for the DIYer.

Do you have a link to the Snap-On torque stick? I bought that exact impact gun a couple of weeks ago to get out seats in my Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I need a heat gun. Is the HF good enough for peeling off vinyl stripes?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RealKyleH posted:

I have heard nothing but BAD things about the HF orange heat gun. Apparently its one of the stay away from things.

What do you suggest?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's to remove vinyl stripes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How much are the big orange HF floor jacks going to be on-sale for?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a Craftsman jack, jackstands, and roller dolly on your back thing on sale for 100 bucks. Is it poo poo?

On the subject of jacks, I need one; gently caress the Miata's spare scissor jack. The big orange HF one doesn't exactly fit underneath my car, is the blue RACING one any good? Better than the Craftsman?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Uthor posted:

Depends on the jack. The cheap ones suck.

This one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950188000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tools+%26+Equipment&sName=Lift+Equipment

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I saw a coupon in a magazine for the 3k pound blue jack for $59.99 (40 bucks off).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MomJeans420 posted:

So has anyone here tried the plastidip method of painting anything? I saw the link posted a few pages back and it seems like a pretty cool product. I have chrome wheels but hate chrome wheels, I was thinking of trying it out on them. I can't imagine it will cause any problems if it's safe enough for auto paint.

My car also came with an aftermarket front fascia that was poorly prepped before it was painted, and is now peeling in some areas / severely rock chipped. I had been trying to work up the nerve to strip all the paint then buy the appropriate color spray can online, but I've been worried I'd turn out even worse (and I don't want to buy a compressor and paint gun). Now I'm thinking I could plastidip the front bumper, then try the spray can method over the plastidip. If I do a horrible job or it looks worse, I'll just peel it off.

I'm painting my Miata with it. I've had some mild success with a fender, but I need to sand down some runs and get a really good coat in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MomJeans420 posted:

So are you using it as a base coat on your fender, then spraying color matched paint over it? I can't decide if I should just completely strip and prep my front fascia and do it the old fashioned way, or try this out since I'm not sure about my ability to paint a huge piece of the car and have it turn out decent.

I'm painting the entire body with it and vinyl wrapping the hardtop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress you bastards and your nice weather. Sunday is going to be the next day I can hit up my fender with another coat. I need to get some sandpaper and another can and make sure I overspray like a boss.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're looking for a cheap torque wrench, go beam style. The Sears one will be about 20-25 bucks and they're good within a few percent.

Cheap clicker torque wrenches can bite you in the rear end pretty drat fast.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a no-name probably 80 piece socket set from Costco (maybe?). I'm looking to get a decent mechanics set and I was wondering if anybody has some input. I'm looking at getting the Kobalt set from Lowes because I've heard over the past few years that Craftsmen has declined in quality.

Lemme know what you guys think!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Went to Sears today and saw that Gear Wrench is 50% off. I might get some...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat dude, POR15 burn!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey man, they got all of their bases covered.

Ordered this torque wrench from Sears.com and received this:

I hope that the nice man in KY won't need his plastic bin this weekend much like I needed my torque wrench for a track day. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I should use the customer information line when I go to return this tomorrow...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Hey man, they got all of their bases covered.

Ordered this torque wrench from Sears.com and received this:

I hope that the nice man in KY won't need his plastic bin this weekend much like I needed my torque wrench for a track day. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I should use the customer information line when I go to return this tomorrow...

Resolution! I turned my plastic bin into the 1/2 inch drive clicker today. I guess Sears kinda is sensitive to customers receiver other customers' stuff.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-1-2inch-drive/p-00931425000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I don't care about the 2.5/5 rating, I got this poo poo for 22 bucks! :toot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Electronics are scary and are indistinguishable from magic!

(buy the HF, there's no way that it's going to be "off")

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

grover posted:

It is true. Case in point: US military requires connectors be crimped, not soldered.

I don't think you know how evidence works.

Soldering is easy. Crimping is easy. If you're better at one, do that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lord Gaga posted:

-ONLY USE UL LISTED TERMINALS. Autozone/Cheapest at Walmart/HF are not UL listed.
-ONLY USE UL listed WIRE. This is very important.

I thought UL was pretty much bullshit. :confused:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The HF electric impact is a piece of poo poo, but if you need it a few times, it's worth it.

I was absolutely impressed with it when it managed to get off the crank bolt on the 2003 Miata engine. Then I was absolutely unimpressed when it broke a week later trying to lug nuts off of a Volvo.

I bought another one to hit flywheel bolts with... I figure I have another 4 good uses out of it before it grenades on itself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Need a pickle fork (or a 3lb sledge). Any suggestions on either? HF isn't too far away for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nobody has ever said, "yeah, I totally regret picking up a set of flexible head Gear Wrenches" ever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

grover posted:

Let me be the first, then, to say I totally regret picking up a set of flexible head Gear Wrenches. I wish I'd have gotten the non-flexible head ones. The heads keep bending away when I try to put pressure on it. The straight SAE set I have is so much better than my flex-head metric set.

Yeah, but you're wrong about everything so the point still stands.

VVV - Good crimpers and strippers are always worth it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have any complaints about the 12-ton HF press?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 20's on sale for 150 or 160 right now, and there's a 20% coupon. I wonder if they'll let me double it up so I could get it for like $120+tax.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$130 - 20% + some gloves = $115 after tax. :whatup:

I need to swing by Home Depot for a trailer hitch (apparently it's the perfect size to press in/out bearings) and a 29mm socket for the axle nut. I figure I'm going to get way more than one use out of the press, so it makes sense just to buy one. It's less of a hassle than taking poo poo to a shop as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Material Science is one of the coolest fields.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
EZ Out? Bullshit.

Fuckers need to be renamed to Difficult Out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Harbor Freight played a role in the finale of Breaking Bad, I'll get a screen cap when I get home tonight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Harbor Freight played a role in the finale of Breaking Bad, I'll get a screen cap when I get home tonight.

As promised!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any thing bad/good to say about Ingersoll Rand electric tools/impacts?