Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Magnetic Pickup Tool This is by far my favorite and most utilized tool that I own. It seems that whenever I work on my car I will always drop a screw or a bolt. On most cars this isn't too big of a problem, but with the undertrays that most BMWs have it turns what should be an easy 5 minute job into a 15 minute ordeal. The light comes in pretty hand as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94614

Engine Hoist I don't own this (yet), but a friend went out and bought it so he could change engine mounts and the oil pan gasket. You can't beat it for the price ($50). Simple, cheap and no hassles.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200309403_200309403

Drill Press I have had this thing for over 4 years now and it has never failed me. It's a little flimsy, but as long as you're not going for super high precision it works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Edit: Oh, there's a page 4.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

daddy grapes posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spring compressor that can handle tightly spaced coils? I have a Craftsman spring compressor that works well for the well spaced springs found in Macpherson struts but it is unable to handle springs found in older model Hondas as the clamping mechanism is too thick. The cheaper, the better as long as it does not pose a safety risk (e.g. Harbor Freight's $10 sticks of death).

Have you tried renting AutoZone's spring compressors? They might work, and if they don't you're only out the time it takes to get there and back.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

As for tools, I just picked up this baby for $18. I have been very happy with my 6" and have used it enough to be on the second battery (which was included.) It has proven to be quite accurate and repeatable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47260

Oh man, I picked up the 8" variety of this a few weeks ago and I have been measuring everything in sight. Kind of like after I got one of those infrared temperature devices (also from HF).

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

Yea I have the 6" and the one I just bought is an 8". How much was yours

I want to say more than $20 but less than $25. I stop in there every week, so I can never remember. I was kind of pissed to see it at $17.99 in the newest ad. Oh well.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

So, when it comes to overhead valve compressors are they pretty much all the same? Like the $10 ones from Harbor Freight will work just fine, or is it worth it spending a few dollars more for a more quality tool. Any recommendations? It's for a 24V BMW I6 head, so I dunno if spacing will play much of an issue or what.

I'm looking to go yank a head off a junker and get it machined and ready to swap onto my car with some hotter cams (I want to minimize downtime), and would like to do as much of the work as possible myself, which would be everything except the machining.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Does anyone know of some good crimpers for large gauge wires (down to 1awg)? If it's available for rent then even better since all the pairs I'm seeing are in the $200 range. I'd be willing to pay up to $100ish, but $200 for a tool I'm only planning on using once is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Fill that little cylindrical area with some JB Weld, wait for it to dry completely, then drill a new hole through the center.

kastein posted:

Try Harbor Freight's 8 ton... I have it. It's not the best, and the dies are pretty poo poo (don't expect the gauges marked on them to be anywhere near accurate, use the one that looks right, then go down a size if it doesn't seem to crimp tightly enough, and you'll have to rotate the terminal 60 degrees and crimp it again to get rid of some flashing/ridges it leaves on the crimped portion, but it works for crimping battery cables for me.

I was going to give those a go if I couldn't find anything better. I have a 10 ton hydraulic press, perhaps I could use it with one of the anvil/hammer type crimpers?