Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

Yeah, I have to use regular sockets on wheels with deep lug holes. An impact socket would bang against it and chip the paint or chrome.

I bought these:

http://fishertool.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008812211889/pdtl/Automotive-tool/1001612990/Impact-Socket-Set.htm

for exactly this reason. Thin wall impact socket with protective plastic sleeve. Perfect for high dollar wheels, or obnoxious aftermarket snowtire packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

whiskas posted:

Is it safe to unscrew bolts with a torque wrench?

Not unsafe, but you could damage your torque wrench. Best case scenario is that you knock it out of calibration.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Marauder Stig posted:

What are good drill bits for drilling through steel? I Stripped a driveshaft bolt in my car :smith:

Would really help if these were readily available at Home Depot or other brick and mortar type store. Also, what would be a good lubricant to use on the drill bits?

Any advice helps...never had to drill through steel before.

I have a set of Irwin 8% cobalt drill bits that people who borrow from me say is the best drill bit set they've ever used. I got them from a Mac Tools distributor when I inquired about a set of Mac drill bits. He told me don't bother with Mac stuff, get the Irwin set. I trusted him, especially since his living is made on selling Mac tools and hes telling me not to bother with that.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/29-piece-cobalt-m-42-metal-index-drill-bit-set