Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've got the HF $135 jack and it's awesome. I had the $80 jack, but it just seemed to dainty for my Crown Vic, so I took it back for the bigger jack and it's much more substantial and worth the extra money IMO.

Lets not forget the HF jackstands either, best deal ever. Also this:

Best $35 I ever spent. Combined with a Snap-On torque stick, dealing with wheels is a breeze. Thank god I never have to go to a shop for tire rotation ever again.

HF is like heaven for the DIYer.

VVVV You could try the HF $80 aluminum floor jack. It's small and really light.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taymar posted:

I need some jackstands for occasional light use (fluid changes). It's critical that they won't damage the surface they're used on as I'm going to have to borrow someone's driveway to change my oil.

Should I be looking at a certain type of stand, or just put pieces of wood or similar underneath?

Stay away from cheap stamped steel jackstands, you want solid cast jackstands like this:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

How do you balance them? :v:

HF tire balancer http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47211

Phone posted:

Do you have a link to the Snap-On torque stick? I bought that exact impact gun a couple of weeks ago to get out seats in my Miata.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=77357&group_ID=2219&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Cool, I just bout an 80lb and a 100lb.

Bastards don't make a 90 :argh:

Harbor Freight sells a set of 6 for $30, but not separately. 55 to 100#'s and also 3/8ths drive unfortunately. Not sure if there's a 90 in there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96399

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

1/2" drive version

Harbor Freight is good enough for me :)

60 bucks though. :( That set was at the store here and I almost bought it, but thought better of it since I knew I could get a 80# Snap-on separately.

All you really need is one anyway, unless you have a bunch of different cars and trucks (like yourself).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

hippynerd posted:

I got one of these last summer, and after spending 3 months working on my car, I never used it once. It was just too big for most stuff, Wheels would be a real good use, but whatelse have you used it for?

It works wonders on seat bolts. Also stubborn suspension bits, basically anywhere it will fit where you need the muscle.

Or you could just call oxbrain for his manly wrists. :bigtran:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Why lead, and not steel?

It's so confusing.

quote:

Because lead is softer than steel, so you can transmit a large force to the object without denting it.

I use a HF 5# plastic sledge filled with buckshot, about the same results I would imagine. It might even be less damaging than a lead hammer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

oxbrain posted:

Also, they don't work as well striking upwards.

Ahhh, good point. I never tried the deadblow in an upwards fashion.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Special notes:
The Ryobi Sawzall does not output 18v and whatever amperage it's supposed to. You can make it kick a hell of a lot more rear end by removing the voltage regulator and the safety switch. I've modified 2 so far and it's a night and day difference. The new Lithium-ion does not have this problem.

Can you tell me how to do this? This is awesome, I've always thought mine was way under powered.

Also, aren't the new lithium batteries interchangeable? I could have sworn they said you can use them on any Ryobi tools. If so, do you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade? I have almost every Ryobi cordless too, I was thinking about the impact, but you have sold me on it. Do you have the air compressor? I've been thinking of getting that also.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

They ARE interchangeable! If you can, avoid the old batteries at all.

Cool. But are the lithium that much better? I know they charge faster, but do they hold it longer, and do they put out more power? My kit is still fairly new, so I don't think I'll need batteries any time soon, but if the Lithium batteries can help me part the Red Sea I may just invest in some. :v:

Also thanks for the crude drawing. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good soldering iron? I would like to get a good cheap one if there is such thing.

I just picked one up at Harbour Freight for 5 bucks and it works well, although I'm not a connoisseur of fine soldering irons, so I have no idea if it's worth it to spend for a good one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BabyJesus posted:

Can someone recommend a cheapie torque wrench? I'm not looking for much, I just want to be able to torque my lugnuts back to spec so I can rotate my own drat tires.

Harbor Freight, 15 bucks for a "click" wrench. Needle wrench will be even cheaper.

Or just get an HF electric impact for $35, and the 80# Snap-on torque stick for $30. It's a hell of a lot easier than doing it by hand.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 7, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goob posted:

$40? Try $10 for a 1/2 drive or $15 for a 3/8 drive.

Ooops, my bad. I just checked my receipt and it was $14.99. I think I got it confused with the Craftsman I ended up not buying.....Editing that post now.

I guess it's better than finding out I actually paid MORE than I thought. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^Your job sounds like fun.

I picked up an HF angle grinder today, $18.99 on sale, can't beat that with a stick. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

Was it the blue one or the orange one? I got the blue electric one for $10 on super sale. No complaints.

I got the orange one (Chicago Tools) which is normally $30. Great deal at $18.

I also got a pack of five wire wheels for $12.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

anyone know of a good portable 12v/cordless air compressor that can handle high pressures? My camper's tires need 80psi and my compressor just can't handle it. Not to mention I can't find a gauge that goes up to 80 psi.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I've had mine for 3 years, hasn't broken, and seems to be within reason. I should probably have it calibrated but I have no idea where/how to do that. And yeah, I only use it for tightening.

I've had one for a few years, and although I use it to torque simple poo poo like transmission pan bolts, I don't think I'd use it to torque engine internals.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have the $15 HF timing light? Is it cool to skimp on a timing light or should I invest in a higher quality one?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No loving poo poo.

I just know that some HF tools are crap, and If I should just get a Craftsman or something instead, because I've had flashlights that are pieces of poo poo. Thanks for your help though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it seems like it would be hard to screw up a timing light but I'm sure it's possible, HF electric tools have always been hit or miss. But for 15 bucks I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wanted to pop in and say I just bought a Ryobi 1/2" drive 18v impact and it's the best tool I've bought in a long time. I picked it up right before swapping out the suspension in my Miata and I swear it cut the labor time in half. Well worth 99 bucks if you already have the batteries.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

revmoo posted:

I use my Ryobi to put on lugs. It's probably too much torque but it's not TOO MUCH.

I use a torque stick to eliminate any worries of TOO MUCH TORX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I still have some of those "ratcheting" open end wrenches Craftsman made. Makes the open end of the wrench almost completely useless.