Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vanilla Django is great for building your own blog

Hugo (written in Go) is a fantastic choice for static site generation

Writing a static website generator seems like a great first programming project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you can host a static site on S3 for pennies per month

Wordpress is a nightmare to manage yourself due to all the wacky security vulnerabilities. And they're all specific to wordpress. If you host on S3 there's nothing to hack. Or at least, they have to hack Amazon's S3. Plus managed anything is going to be minimum $5/mo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the go to Django plugin for payment processing for an American centric ecommerce website these days

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok great thanks. That makes sense that they would want it to be easy for developers to integrate their product

Lemme ask a similar question, if I wanted to add a payment workflow, is there a payment processor that's easiest to start with? My money is on PayPal

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I have base.py and it says allowed_hosts=foo.com and I run it on a server/container with env allowed_hosts=bar.net what is the expected hierarchy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cross posting from the devops thread as I got no response on over a week

Hadlock posted:

Is there an established plan of action for running Django migrations on logical postgres replicas

Migrations on physical/classic replication is a snap but there's a ton of moving parts to account for with logical

I think the answer is "no, don't use local replication that way" but curious if anything has changed recently

It's worth noting that logical replication is a newer type of replication that lets you replicate just a single table or even specific columns of data in a table, different from normal replication i.e. physical replication

I'm sure the Venn diagram of Django developers that give two fucks about logical replication on postgres is vanishingly small but gonna give it another try anyways

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For something that simple, you could host your Django API endpoint on a lambda and just pay $0.0005/request or whatever, have it serve up an S3 link to the image with a one time access token in the response

If you want to code golf this you could probably drop the database requirement

https://dev.to/vaddimart/deploy-django-app-on-aws-lambda-using-serverless-part-1-1i90

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ChatGPT is alarmingly good at writing SQL