Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I might be being hilariously/hopelessly naive about the whole thing, but you could email the other group, tell them what you were planning and ask if they were ok with it maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I feel if it came down to that, it's one of those 'better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission' situations. I imagine if you approached a group about a possible copyright infringement, they shoot you down, and you go ahead and do it anyway... You've probably got less of a leg to stand on.

My feeling is it won't matter because the genre and aesthetic are very different outside of the fact 'Sex Machine' is in both names.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Sex Machine existed as a phrase before either band existed, and is therefore prior art. You are, legally, fine.

The problem is that all copyright stuff is affirmative defense, IE you have to go defend it in court, which is expensive, so if you get sued it doesn't matter how right you are if you can't afford to defend yourself.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Carter USM predates either of you guys...

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JVNO posted:

I feel if it came down to that, it's one of those 'better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission' situations. I imagine if you approached a group about a possible copyright infringement, they shoot you down, and you go ahead and do it anyway... You've probably got less of a leg to stand on.

My feeling is it won't matter because the genre and aesthetic are very different outside of the fact 'Sex Machine' is in both names.

Oh yeah, for sure, if you go ahead and do it anyway. I was thinking along the lines that if it was me asking and the other group were iffy about it I’d just rethink the name so there wouldn’t be issues. Which of course isn’t a great plan if you’re already invested in keeping the name! That’s my bad, I should have made that clearer, sorry.

That being said I agree with your second paragraph, and what has been said above with regards to USM and that. If Halestorm and Alestorm can exist together in very similar genres, I’m pretty sure you’re good.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks for the input muh dudes. Again, I was of the opinion that both 'White Collar' and 'Sex Machine' are common enough phrases that it wouldn't matter, but my friend keeps getting on my case about it. He's fixated on it being '(Colour) (Object) Sex Machine', particularly since it's also White vs. Black.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

wayfinder posted:

Carter USM predates either of you guys...

[Desire to play dead for Di and Fergie intensifies]

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
So Propellerhead had a sale and I finally jumped from Reason 7 to 10 and really dig it. The big deal for me though is finally being able to use VSTs, so what are some good free/trial VSTs and VSTis that are worth having or buying?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

killhamster posted:

So Propellerhead had a sale and I finally jumped from Reason 7 to 10 and really dig it. The big deal for me though is finally being able to use VSTs, so what are some good free/trial VSTs and VSTis that are worth having or buying?

Here is a list of free ones that I use a lot:

OTT - Multiband Compressor from Xfer Records
Dimension Expander - Chorus/Stereo Imaging from Xfer Records
Synth1 - Excellent digital synth by Ichiro Toda
Luftikus - EQ

I have a bunch of other ones that I got for free during specials and I imagine that's how you will get some of your favorites. For example, I got the Little Alter Boy Reverb from soundtoys.com recently because it was free until the end of November (if I remember correctly).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anything Togu Audio Line makes is really solid and either free or cheap. Look at Voxengo's freebies as well. Good stuff.
Cockos Reaplugs pack contains a really good no nonsense all-purpose compressor and gate, should you need it.

Does Reason have an FM synth yet? Dexed is free and you can find bunches of DX7 presets online that it can load.

Helm and Charlatan are pretty nice basic synths that I'll take over Synth1 any minute, but even then I'm not sure they'll offer anything you haven't seen before. Reason covers the basics pretty well.

I recommend maybe looking at character reverbs like the Valhalla ones.

Trying to not go for the obvious recommendations here. There are a lot of mega flagship super synths on the market as well that I don't know too much about personally.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Some of my free faves that do things my paid plugins don't cover well:

- NastyVCS & Thrillseeker XTC, which I use as exciters
- SubFilter II, which is my go-to highpass because I use it on practically EVERYTHING and it takes up nearly 0 CPU, which is a factor when I'm out producing on my 8 year old laptop
- Limiter6, which despite its narrow name covers a wide variety of dynamics processing and is a worthy tool for all sorts of buses, and in fact sometimes I'll use it on whole mixes for loudness maximizing
- s(M)exoscope and RS-Met SignalAnalyzer, for precise monitoring, especially when I do sound design

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

- Limiter6

this thing rules folks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since the "how do I recreate (sound)" thread is dead, I figured I'd ask here; how do you guys reckon the sound at 0:06 in this track was made?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WHdwwcVyA&t=6s

I tried isolating it too:
http://picosong.com/wRFLe

Some sort of FM? It reminds me of that squelchy vocal-ish sound you get from doing audio rate filter FM, but I haven't been able to get it quite right. I know there are several ways to get that kind of robotic voice effect so I'm curious to see what other people think it might be.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Ringmodulator/AM, alternatively frequency shifter?

N64 = samples so that doesn't give away the original synthesis type used, and 1998 is not a time where people would be playing around with modular on the reg.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I had an idea for a thread and wanted to see if there was any interest from others in ML. One thing I have been really trying to do as of late as part of my production education is expand my library and knowledge of music. I can be a creature of habit and get stuck on one type of music or one genre for a long time and then move to the next when it starts to feel stale. For example, starting in High School I went from emo (lol), to punk, to classic rock, hip-hop, electronic music, and now am trying to keep a variety of things at all times in my current playlist.

I recently got a record player as a gift and have been accumulating a LOT of records from various stores in the area. My focus has been on music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, and a bit of the early 90s concentrating on Soul, R&B, Jazz, Rock, early Hip-Hop, Funk, and even some electronic. Its been really incredible discovering so much amazing music that I had never heard before. For example, I knew that Kool & The Gang and The Isley Brothers were popular bands, but I had no idea just how many hits they both had. I have probably 8 albums between the two of them and could listen to them all day long. There have even been some records that might not have seemed like something I would enjoy, but when I play them I found tons of potential for sampling different bits and pieces.

I thought it could be interesting to start a thread where we could discuss new or old songs from a production perspective. We could discuss specific production techniques used in the track, analyze the various elements/equipment used, or even just give praise to an album with exceptional production. This could be a cool way to discover new techniques and tricks or even just learn some cool production stories of some our favorite albums.

I would be down to put together a solid OP with some examples of my own but would like to see if there is enough interest first.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Your Computer posted:

Since the "how do I recreate (sound)" thread is dead, I figured I'd ask here; how do you guys reckon the sound at 0:06 in this track was made?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WHdwwcVyA&t=6s

I tried isolating it too:
http://picosong.com/wRFLe

Some sort of FM? It reminds me of that squelchy vocal-ish sound you get from doing audio rate filter FM, but I haven't been able to get it quite right. I know there are several ways to get that kind of robotic voice effect so I'm curious to see what other people think it might be.

it's a formant / vowel filter. razor has one, probably a bunch of free ones out there.
the original sound is probably not that complex. some digital FM, sounds like it was bitcrushed before it was ran through the vowel filter too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjFaR7dwds

here's a short little thing on how they work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQcEyXI1OGM

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 27, 2017

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Long shot but does anyone in the musician's lounge use Jeskola Buzz and has a more or less comprehensive machines folder and index.txt they could share with me? I lost all of mine on my old computer in my home country i no longer live in and finally have money for interface and monitors. Don't feel like downloading the machines from the database site one by one but i will if i have to.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Man if you had come to me three years ago... I used to run BuzzChurch and made one of the overloader index.txt replacements. But sadly, those times are behind me, and I currently have no working installation :(

augias
Apr 7, 2009

: ) thanks anyways. gonna have to be the hard way.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
What's a great place to upload snippets and such? I've just used Clyp, but I don't like their terms:

quote:

To the extent it is necessary in order for Clyp to provide you with any of the aforementioned services, you grant Clyp a limited, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, distribute, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works of, display, perform Your Content in connection with the Platform, including, without limitation, for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Platform through any media channels.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

can anyone recommend the best laptop around $2k for music prod?

something that doesn't say 'gamer', i was thinking about a macbook pro but fl studio doesn't work with osx

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How do you get the really resonant Speak-N-Spell style vocals like the one used in Oliver - Heart Attack (near the end) and Kill the Noise - Kill the Noise (At every drop and in each drop)?

The one in the Kill the Noise track in particular sounds like an honest to God circuit bent Speak-N-Spell, but I'm guessing there's some way to pull this effect out of a Vocoder or something?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 21, 2018

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Sounds like a vocoder to me. I can link videos without timestamps, too :p

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Sorry about the lack of timestamps. Was phone posting without the youtube app. Still remembered to change the m. to https://www. though so :downs:. Fixed now.

I guess I just don't know the right settings on a vocoder to produce that clear but heavily distorted sound- or perhaps not the right carrier?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

close enough imho

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Yeah that's much better than anything I could get out of Live's vocoder.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
I made a thing - colonp - Bersærkerdans - for the One Synth Challenge comp on KVR. I should've done my crunch a couple of days ago rather than tonight, so it could get a couple more mixing passes, and fix up some of the sounds a bit. I think it turned out pretty well tho.

Comments and questions is ok :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have been trying to make something which is a bit more minimal as a counterpart to my usual everything and the kitchen sink style of producing - but as it's my first attempt at showing some restraint I think I need a second pair of ears.

edit:
https://soundcloud.com/downpour/180312a

kept loving around with it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 12, 2018

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I have been trying to make something which is a bit more minimal as a counterpart to my usual everything and the kitchen sink style of producing - but as it's my first attempt at showing some restraint I think I need a second pair of ears.

edit:
https://soundcloud.com/downpour/180312a

kept loving around with it.

I like it but I think you can work on the low end some more. The foundation has that "hitting an empty leather purse" feel, and I think it could profit from being a little less stiff-sounding and rounder, fuller, deeper.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I've just taken a job as a consultant (hooray!) and my first inclination was to get more guitar gear - but I realise I'm at risk of gilding the lily in that aspect of my musical hobby since I've already a really nice amp, pedals and two wonderful guitars. It would be much more practical to get a DAW and at least be able to do some music production when I'm out travelling. In theory.

Either way I'd like to get started again sooner rather than later, but I need to ensure whatever DAW I pick up again is cross-platform (new work machine will likely be a MacBook).

It seems Ableton is a good option for this since I'm not really looking to record instruments; i.e. primarily electronic music. From the face of it , it seems the session view with/without a Push is the greatest divider between Ableton and other tools, but I'm not clear how much of a gimmick this is? If performance and 'easy testing of clips' wasn't a priority, how would Ableton stack up to say, FL Studio? I've got experience with the latter and with Reaper; but as per my post a few months ago really I'm looking to go a) legit and b) for the longer haul than a few tutorial tracks.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Protip: people sell secondhand Ableton Live licenses.

Do you know what for and where I should be looking for these codes? eBay seems dodgy as heck.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Either way I'd like to get started again sooner rather than later, but I need to ensure whatever DAW I pick up again is cross-platform (new work machine will likely be a MacBook).

It seems Ableton is a good option for this since I'm not really looking to record instruments; i.e. primarily electronic music. From the face of it , it seems the session view with/without a Push is the greatest divider between Ableton and other tools, but I'm not clear how much of a gimmick this is? If performance and 'easy testing of clips' wasn't a priority, how would Ableton stack up to say, FL Studio? I've got experience with the latter and with Reaper; but as per my post a few months ago really I'm looking to go a) legit and b) for the longer haul than a few tutorial tracks.

Ableton is cross-platform, while I believe FL Studio is still working towards an OSX version with no release date yet. I'm not sure what your statement about recording instruments is from, because you can do that just fine in Ableton. There are plenty of EDM producers making quality records in both FL Studio and Ableton so it really comes down to a matter of workflow preference. I would recommend downloading a free trial of each and see which is more comfortable. Ableton has more features than FL, but that is reflected in the price as well.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Southern Heel posted:

Well, ultimately you need a MIDI controller to get any real use out of a DAW. You can use Ableton just fine with most controllers, it's just that Push is purpose-built and gives you a lot more integration, but if you were getting a generic MIDI keyboard for FL you could use it in the same way for Live.

If you're worried about used, just start with the ones they pack in for free with some controllers; sooner or later you'll get a chance at a discounted upgrade because those sorts of sales are inevitable with Ableton. Somewhere over a few years I went from their live lite to Studio.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

You do not need a MIDI keyboard to get real use of a DAW. Hell you don’t need one to get full use from a DAW. Plenty of electronic artists produce while touring and basically just use a laptop and nothing else.

That being said, I used a Launchpad until I got the Push2 and they are both a ton of fun and definitely make a DAW feel more like an instrument.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

stillvisions posted:

Well, ultimately you need a MIDI controller to get any real use out of a DAW.

That's a really weird statement. Without wanting to start an argument I'd love to know what you mean by that.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
yeah honestly thats a dumb thing to say

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

duggimon posted:

That's a really weird statement. Without wanting to start an argument I'd love to know what you mean by that.

Okay, that's a personal mileage thing I guess, but to each their own. I started by plugging in notes by hand and that was often way more tedious than it needed to be and even a cheap keyboard with a couple of pads on top for under a hundred bucks sped up my process.

That was also going on other people I know who had the same idea of all mouse and keyboard and weren't able to get the same playing feedback to suss out how something sounded. Maybe that's my bias from having enough piano to be more comfy the other way, or a workflow that alien.

So yeah, my bad, it can work either way, just don't be surprised if that speeds up your workflow.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

stillvisions posted:

Okay, that's a personal mileage thing I guess, but to each their own. I started by plugging in notes by hand and that was often way more tedious than it needed to be and even a cheap keyboard with a couple of pads on top for under a hundred bucks sped up my process.

That was also going on other people I know who had the same idea of all mouse and keyboard and weren't able to get the same playing feedback to suss out how something sounded. Maybe that's my bias from having enough piano to be more comfy the other way, or a workflow that alien.

So yeah, my bad, it can work either way, just don't be surprised if that speeds up your workflow.

I just meant a DAW isn't just for putting MIDI stuff in, when I first started I didn't use and MIDI at all, it was all recorded instruments, still got plenty of use. Even now, while I always have a keyboard set up, I can't actually play it so I still draw in nearly everything, it's not that slow once you get a feel for what the timings in your head look like on screen.

But yeah, if you meant it specifically to the guy who said he only wanted to do electronic music I can see it being a more reasonable statement, though one I don't 100% agree with. I read it as meaning everyone using a DAW ought to have a MIDI controller to get proper use though, which was confusing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

duggimon posted:

I just meant a DAW isn't just for putting MIDI stuff in, when I first started I didn't use and MIDI at all, it was all recorded instruments, still got plenty of use. Even now, while I always have a keyboard set up, I can't actually play it so I still draw in nearly everything, it's not that slow once you get a feel for what the timings in your head look like on screen.

But yeah, if you meant it specifically to the guy who said he only wanted to do electronic music I can see it being a more reasonable statement, though one I don't 100% agree with. I read it as meaning everyone using a DAW ought to have a MIDI controller to get proper use though, which was confusing.

Fair. I should have worded it as "Keep some budget on hand for a MIDI controller, even a super-cheap one, because you may or may not get instantly tired of trying to draw melodies or rhythms with a mouse or firing clips". Some people are fine with that input style, but maybe it's my day job in front of a computer combined with RSI that I try and stay away from a mouse and keyboard at home whenever possible. For me Live sat gathering digital dust until I plugged in a controller.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, if any of you are interested in doing found sound stuff I just started an ML contest for that sort of thing here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854711

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Southern Heel posted:

A left field suggestion, but have you considered Renoise?

It’s cross platform, great for making purely electronic music and can record audio too if you need to. It’s also going to be cheaper than a Live license.

Granted, there will be a learning curve because it’s a tracker, but there are some great tutorial videos, and once you get the hang of it you can work things up really quickly.

• Locked thread