Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
How do I turn my voice into a robot's voice, like Zapp and Roger or Daft Punk-type vocal effects? I'm running Ableton on OS X if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yoozer, I swear you should write a book or start a blog or something, I can't count the number of times I finally understood something electronic music related because of one of your posts.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm getting a tax refund this year and I want to spend it on a hardware synth, specifically one that will help me learn synthesis and synth programming. I'd like it to sound as synthy as possible, i.e. crunchy synth poo poo instead of trying to replicate a violin or something. My budget's around $300, used/old gear is fine, but the main focus should be ability to program it and learn synth programming skills that I can transfer to softsynths. Any ideas?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I definitely agree about the knobs + buttons, that's one of the main reasons I'm looking for a hardware synth. At this point I think I'm deciding between the Juno 106 or the Alesis Ion, which are about $300/600 respectively. The Ion seems to be discontinued so I'm having trouble finding it online, though, while there are a million Junos on ebay right now, so I'll probably go for the Juno given the ease of finding one and the price difference.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I actually really like the ion and I had been looking at it for a while previously but it looks like it's impossible to find. No real stores have it and there are only ever one or two on ebay.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Do you guys have an opinion of the Korg Prophecy Solo? I've read some reviews and it seems like a pretty good monosynth... I found one for $100, if it's still available and in good condition I'm just gonna pick it up.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I got it, works perfectly. This thing is sick as poo poo.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Recommendations for a good, free bandpass filter for (PPC) OS X?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Ableton 7. I don't think I meant bandpass filter, I think I meant a brickwall high/low cut filter. Logic has one, I want to be able to eliminate everything above/below a certain frequency. I think you can probably do it in Ableton but I think it's more complicated than it has to be. Or maybe I'm dumb.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11872215f8030daa/

Made this a while ago, it'd be cool to get some feedback on it. It hasn't been totally mixed so it might sound a li'l off but it's pretty solid I think.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

I actually had no idea you could do this until you posted that so we both learned something today :3:

stun runner fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 14, 2008

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Anacostia posted:

Ok.

I have another question about rewire, reason, and live.I'm trying to use the reason vocorder, but rather than simply using prerecorded audio, I want to use my mic live. I've set up my mic in live and have routed the audio to reason, but I have absolutely no idea how to "recieve" that audio in reason. In live, the audio is routed to "Reason Audio In" - "Track In", but in reason I have absolutely no idea where the audio in is. There is a rebirth input machine, but that doesn't work when reason is the rewire slave. Help?

Or alternatively tell me how to use my computer mic internally in reason (still as the rewire slave) as that would be easier.

You can't, Reason has no audio inputs. You'd have to record it, put it as a .wav into one of Reason's samplers or something and then route that to the vocoder. Reason doesn't like live inputs.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
that's really dope. I like funky poo poo like that so much more than the glitchy hyper-produced poo poo. seriously I'm feeling this track.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just got an Alesis Ion off eBay. The wait until I can mess with it is going to kill me :(

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What sample library do you use, then?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
It took me a while to get used to Impulse, after Redrum, but it's actually pretty dope. It's not super powerful but once you get familiar with it you will probably like it.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
You're going to want a drum library of some kind. Vengeance Essential Club Sounds is a good one that Yoozer recommended (I think) but there are a million of them, and you can probably find some free drum hits online to start out.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

I don't think it's finished but if anyone has comments on it in this state I would love to hear them.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Little downtempo thing I'm working on. My speakers blew out so I mixed it in headphones (so it might sound a little off) and in terms of the arrangement it's a little barebones but if anyone wants to take a listen in this state I'd appreciate it :)

stun runner fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 2, 2008

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Goofing off trying to make club music. It's still in progress, and don't be scared by the title :) I think I'll probably change the bassline and add some more synths later tonight.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah we're geeking out over it in the NAMM thread. I'm really ready to throw money at that thing.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Kai was taken posted:

I think Electronic gets the worst musicians around, just because you get a lot of people with no musical training who are like "HEY TIME TO DOWNLOAD FROOTYLOOPZ" and end up sticking patterns together that make no musical sense.

At least when you get crappy rock bands they can play Smoke on the Water in key.

It's also because making electronic music and recording are pretty much the same thing. If you're in a band you can gently caress around all day jamming and not have anything recorded to show for it but if you're making beats on a computer, when you think you're done you can put the thing online four clicks later.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I've read that four times and I still have no idea.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

A li'l sketch I made a couple days ago. It's a work in progress (especially the arrangement, it needs to flow better I think) but I'm feeling it so far.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
It's a pain in the butt, and since you just want random vocals I'd look for acapella files rather than trying to make one yourself.

I just found this blog, you might want to check it out: http://acapellarchives.blogspot.com/

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
You don't have to do it yourself, there are high-quality acapellas for tracks like those all over the internet if you look a little. It's questionably legal but honestly if Girl Talk can make a career out of it I think you will probably be okay.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah you're messing up somewhere. The Axiom has no sounds itself so that's disqualified, it must be triggering something. Try messing around with a blank set and see what happens there. Also, solo each channel one by one and see if you can find where the drum's coming from.

stun runner fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 21, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm gonna agree with the guy who said you don't understand music till you've seen Aphex twin live. poo poo was like O_O

Also in case anyone cares Audiomidi.com has a $5 version of the reverb plugin Breverb, it's a little crippled vs. the full version but for $5 it seems like a pretty sweet deal: http://www.audiomidi.com/Breverb-audioMIDI-Edition-P12240.aspx

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Lmao gay people had nothing to do with making house bland and uninteresting, which is a lame criticism in and of itself because house as a genre is as broad and vague as indie rock. Gay people were, however, responsible for a lot of house's beginnings as a genre and of course we'd have bleep bloop music without gays but as far as I understand gay people had a lot to do with creating and shaping house music as a genre and a feeling.

And I forgot what thread this was, can we kill this derail now please

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
your problem is probably in the abletron midi settings, there's no reason it shouldn't work. I do knobs and faders with a trigger finger over USB all the time.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Can we talk about kick drums?

I feel like I can't really get mine to sound great... I'm just using some wav samples and Ableton's built-in EQ and compressor, and I can get it to sound okay but I'm never like "drat, that's a kick drum." I'd love any tips, recommendations for sample libraries, or links to good material about mixing/creating kick drums for dance music.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

there ya go (EDIT photos.cx blows but this was a picture of two human hands clapping together)

is there some reason you're set on synthesizing your own handclaps instead of just messing with handclap samples from drum machines?

stun runner fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 15, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
You could set that up in about 30 seconds with Ableton, yeah.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

ProdigalSon posted:

is anyone using a MOTU Ultralite on a Macbook or Macbook Pro? I have the driver installed and the sound card connected via firewire but it doesn't show up as a device in Logic or Reason. I would post a support request on MOTU.com but the sound card is not registered to my e-mail address because this is a band mates card.

edit: if it wasn't clear, I installed the "Universal Audio Installer for Mac OS X" driver

Try reinstalling, restarting, and unplugging a few times. I had some trouble getting mine to work with my Macbook at first but once you get it to work once it should be fine. This sounds like really bad advice but I had the same issues I think and I just messed with it till it worked. Also make sure it shows up in Apple's native audio control panel.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
He needs a Haircut, I'm guessing

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Huge producers jack drums for songs and nothing happens, you're fine. In general you could sample full bars of Beatles tunes and be fine as long as you're not making a lot of money from it, and I'm going to assume that you aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

I think it needs to be mixed again but it's mostly there

• Locked thread