Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Can anyone recommend some free/cheapish VSTis?

I'm just moving over from using Logic to Reaper, I have got Crystal, but Reaper really lacks any decent synths at all. Any are useful, I'm looking for a subtractive, an additive, and a sampler/drum machine mainly, but a good FM or granular synth would be appreciated too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Get this: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=koreplayer
and this: http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842
and this: http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
and this: http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/
and this: http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/polyiblit.html

No, I'd just keep your music in your own thread, unless you have very specific questions, fragments, and screenshots of how you have handled it currently and what you want to achieve. Enhances the educational value of things :).

Those look awesome thanks! The only thing is though I cant work out what the hell the koreplayer does (I havnt downloaded it yet)?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Added Electro to the OP. If Eurodance gets a genre, Electro should. I think this pretty much covers most of the "main" genres, or at least enough to trace back derivative roots.

Ahem, IDM/Glitch? :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I'd say go with a Mac because of the ease of use with audio and MIDI routing.

What do macs do with audio and midi routing different than pcs? (asking for information not starting a faggoty mac vs pc debate)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

That does look pretty useful actually.

Is there an equivelant windows app? I don't have need of it now really but would be good for future reference.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

matblack posted:

Great thread for beginners. I have a question a little off of elec music creation but felt it still worht asking here.

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 recently and the line in/line out is just shocking. There is massive interference when you plug headphones in for example, but the interference does not affect the in built speakers.

I can't find any fixes to this around so I am currently looking at purchasing a cheap but reliable USB audio interface to bybass the inbiult jacks. All that I really need this for is sound out and the occasional line in record for a guitar or voice.

Is something like this acceptable: http://www.thomann.de/nl/maudio_transit_usb_audiointerface.htm ?

Or are the cheaper and better options out there? I wasn't planning on spending too much as I am looking to get the Axiom 25 as my first MIDI controller ( I was going to get something cheaper to see if I enjoy using a controller, but thought I should get something decent to really know), I have always been more a guitar guy, but looking to try new things since I was given Reason 3 from a friend.

Any help in this area would be appreciated, I'm rather new to external hardware and used to just plug my amp straight into line in on the pc (I'm not super anal about having the worlds greatest quality if it saves money for other things)

If you're running on an intel system try to avoid USB soundcards if you can, they dont keep up a good usb transfer rate and give burst errors. Nothing really serious, but annoying sometimes.

Also for the guy looking to start making stuff for cheap, definatly give reaper a try, everytime I use it I'm more and more impressed with it. Although if you do you will need some VSTs as it only comes with very basic stuff.

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 28, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I've never had this happen on P4 systems. I don't know what the Core 2's are doing, though.

Yeah i think it may be just the core 2 duos sorry i shouldve said that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Another thing that helps immensly; Deadlines!
If you HAVE to complete a project in a fixed period of time, you would be amazed at how focused and organized your production will become.

This is completely true, I'm terrible at finishing tracks, but I had a deadline for one and sat down and finished the whole thing in a couple of days with no problems.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

When you're using monitors you should have the two monitors and your head forming the 3 points of an equalaterial triangle, as perfect as you can possibly get it, and then just dont move from that spot for mixing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I'm of the opinion that people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on all sorts of extra bullshit for their studios are idiots. GUYS WE NEED DIAMOND-ENCRUSTED CABLES THROUGHOUT THE BUILDING OR ELSE..... OUR SIGNAL

The way I look at it is this: If your track or album is mixed reasonably well, nobody is going to give a poo poo if your kick sits a decibel above whatever, or if you should pan your snare 7 ticks or 8. Especially considering the market that we're all in (I presume nobody is mixing for Madonna), people are going to be more concerned with what you're producing, and less concerned with how you're producing. Nobody is going to go "Yeah that's a pretty sweet track there brosef except for the fact that you put your HP filter at 500hz instead of 460. Sorry, you would have had some Grammy material but now it's the worst motherfucking song I've ever heard."

Take your track, listen to it at home. Sound good? Put it on your iPod, listen to it in your car, and have some cheap desktop computer speakers. Still sound good? You're clear for 99.99% of listening conditions people have.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't at least reasonably try to get accurate sound reproduction with your gear, and maybe throwing some foam around where you can, but there's really no need to spend thousands of dollars trying to pad up your basement. Decent monitors? Decent headphones? You don't live in a concrete refrigerator box? You're set. Maybe not the "audiophile" who spent $30,000 rewiring his house for DC, but who gives a poo poo, someone will always bitch about something.

"Audiophiles" can be some of the biggest morons on the planet, even worse in the studios. Nobody cares if you're recording at 192 or 96. Seriously. It doesn't matter. Nobody can tell. Nobody cares if your bass is up a decibel. If your mix has no glaring problems that prevents you from enjoying it, it's fine. I think one of the bigger issues for people is trying to make everything sound perfect. Mute the third hat in the 12th measure? Does it matter? How much basil do you add to the pasta sauce? Just add it, if the entire thing tastes good nobody is going to be like gently caress MAN you should have put an extra quarter of a teaspoon in there. If they do, tell them to shut the gently caress up and they don't have to consume it.

Wait, what exactly do you mean by the spending tens of thousands of dollars thing? Like, sound proofing and treatment or what?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Yeah, its almost excess because most people won't notice those tiny details and you should focus on the song writing.

Well sound proofing stops or reduces sound coming in and going out of your mixing/recording area which is an obvious plus, and treatment lets you get rid of standing waves, weird reflections etc.

Obviously overboard for most amateur stuff, but its not really fair to say that anyone doing it is an idiot adding extra bullshit to their studio.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Well, it makes sense for a studio. But I think he was writing from an amateur perspective. Obviously what separates a studio from your apartment is the specialization and money going into it.

I assumed studio because he said "I'm of the opinion that people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on all sorts of extra bullshit for their studios are idiots."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Well, I guess its an investment/return type thing. If Madonna and Kanye West are frequenting your studio than I guess you have money to burn to have the best poo poo in the world. If you're on a budget than spending your money on that stuff is a waste no matter what. I'm not sure if I'm defending him anymore, I'm just saying it the way I see it. It's a business after all.

There are some very cheap DIY ways to improve the sound of a room and how much sound leaks out though. Personally, even though I only do poo poo in a bed room, when I next move I'm going to be choosing a room where I can have my desk in the middle of a wall and use some light treatment and sound proofing. You can get nice results for little investment.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Overbite posted:

I tried to mess around in Reaper and had no idea how to even make a noise, but using Fruity Loops I was able to make a basic song right away. Still don't know how to get the sounds I want though, everything sounds too clean and dancy.

Reaper looks better because it's cheap, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

Heres the basics to using reaper:

To make a track right click on the bit on the left and make a track. The tracks can all use both midi and audio.
Click the FX button on the track, then load up your instruments and effects. Click insert and then midi info or whatever it is, then draw in your notes.

Hooray! Not completely accurate as its from memory but near enough. If you cant figure something out there is a wiki dedicated to repear on their website so have a look at that, has stuff about first time setup, midi controllers etc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

I wonder why so many people in ML seem to shy away from Logic? For my money (and with a student ID, it was only $150) it's the best production-level program shy of ProTools for not only electronic music, but any style really. That said, I flip back and forth between it and Ableton Live LE (again, only $150) and can do just about anything I can imagine.

Is it just because most people here are PC users? Or is Logic kind of daunting for the uninitiated?

It seems to me that the routing and flexibility make things that users of other DAWs have to do backflips through hoops to do (i.e. sidechaining)- easy. After learning how to use it (and I'm still far from a master) I can't imagine producing electronic music in any other environment (although I sometimes write in Ableton).

i'm not trying to start a "my DAW is better than yours" fight, it's legitimate curiosity. And I'm only bringing it up because after learning how to use it and slowly learning how to make electronic music, I came here hoping to find some tips aimed towards Logic to find barely a mention.

Actually oddly enough, I moved away from Logic onto Reaper. The course I'm doing teaches Logic on Logic 6 and offers free macbooks with Logic 8 on them. Logic is nice, and the fact it comes with some decent synths is awesome, but I dont like some of the things it does. Also I really dont like the changes they made in logic 8, I'm more used to 5 and 6 and prefer them to 8. It feels like they're dumbing it down and making it more garage band-esque. I like how Reaper works, its got a nicer work flow for me, and some of the bundled plug ins are awesome. The fact its so cheap and runs on both mac and pc (I use both daily) and can be run from a usb stick just seals the deal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

the point is that apples use uniform hardware across the board so the number of variables that need to be taken into consideration are significantly lower than with PCs. but you probably knew that..

the market share among professional musicians/producers/filmmakers/artists is much higher than "overall" market share.

Intel cpus are pretty much the only "uniform" hardware in a mac. And even then they use the whole product range including even server cpus.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sock It posted:

Right now I'm mixing on Audacity, which is a pain (to say the very least). It's hard for me to beat match, there's no BPM analyzer, I can't set markers easily, and I have to guess and estimate for a lot of manipulation. It's not that Audacity is a bad program, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that's it's entirely the wrong one.

I've tried a handful of other programs, but they're all to expensive and intimidating (ableton, traktor, and a few others). Reaper seems easy enough, but maybe too easy. I'd like to do some beat matching myself, but Reaper automates the entire process. The only caveat to all of this is that I want to stay below 70 dollars.

Can anyone recommned a software suite that might help me learn DJing better?

Reaper isnt an easy program, it just doesnt work how you are wanting it to work, and I doubt most standard DAWs would either.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rkelly posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I want sampled strings I guess. I just don't know much about what makes good strings. I guess I need standard string quartet practices and what intervals the harmonies are and what not.

I mean I want real disco sounding strings not fake poly synth ones which I love for different reasons. By the way I love Robert Miles. Gofriller cello or something I guess?

Look into the EWQL orchestral libraries. Huge collections of sampled strings (and brass etc also) that sound pretty drat good. Expensive though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Start making... hardcore tracks?

I've tried, but the beat and the bass are so important to it that unless they're totally grooving it sounds like poo poo.

I don't even want to post my attempts because they're so horrible.

Making electronica is like playing an instrument. You start off poo poo and practice at it to get better, making a hardcore bassline is a technique just like sweep picking or something on guitar. When you first try it'll sound horrible, you've just got to keep on at it until it clicks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

NitroTracker is loving amazing and is one of the easiest music programs I have ever used, plus it's insanely in depth.. editing wavs, volume, a sampler.. the whole deal. Amazing.

That and the new Korg DS-10 have put the DS on the map as a legitimate music making device. If only you could record riffs from the Korg to a flash cart.. because then you could use the sampler to put those into NitroTracker without ever having to touch your laptop. You could make an entire loving album without ever leaving your DS.

Check out protein DS as well. I havnt got it working yet, but it looks loving awesome.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm using Reaper at the moment because my internet connection out here is extremely lovely so it's pretty much the only thing I can get. I'll definitely check out the demo for Live when I get back, though. So far I've found that Reaper is an affordable intro to how DAWs work, but it seems pretty barebones compared to the features the big boys like Live seem to have.

I'd disagree on this, Reaper is definatly a fully featured DAW in every sense of the word. I've infact moved FROM Logic to basically Reaper only.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Terrible idea. You're suggesting that he use a fledgling software suite as his first DAW.

Maybe in one to two years if Reaper has a footprint (which by that time, remember, that every software suite is going to be upgraded), then it'd be worth mentioning, but for the time being, it's a terrible idea.

I heard about Reaper years ago, and it's still nowhere near competitive. It's got far longer than "1 to 2 years" before it's anywhere near "competitive with Cubase/Logic".

Again, going to disagree with this. Reaper is already competitive with "proper" DAWs for features, speed, everything really. I can't really see any area where is lacking, what do you find it lacking in?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

I understand that, that's not really my point. The point is when I'm in arrangement view it's clear as day where the cowbells come in and where the kick drum stops for the break. I can see all of the individual drum tracks and how they interact with each other. If I use drum racks it's just one big blob on one track. At a glimpse, that gives me cy information as to what's going on in the drums. Plus, the whole routing thing like I mentioned. I like to route poo poo :).

I've tried Guru.. and iDrum.. and I don't like them. I like to keep my production stupidly simple and organized because I am stupidly stupid and very unorganized.

Also I'd like to point out this method is awesome for making idm/jungle/hosed up breakbeats. Lets you have the whole piano grid of pitch for each drum sound.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

Point of fact - if you are using attack times below 50ms, you are not compressing, you are limiting. Many people prefer limiting on their drums, and many "compressors" have attack times that can be set to limit. But to take a compressor, lower it's attack to 1ms, and start trying to school people on how this is your preferred means of "compression"... well, that's like telling someone that a reverb box is the best way to create delay. It's one way to create delay, I suppose, but you're going to confuse anyone who doesn't know the difference themselves. I could also take a delay box, crank the feedback all the way up, and use it to create loops, but if I called it a looping box and posted on a forum that this was the best way to do live looping, I'd be doing a lot of beginners and novices a great disservice.

Uh, a limiter is just a very fast and hard compressor, trying to say that someone is limiting if they use a fast attack on a compressor is kind of weird logic, because limiting IS compressing. They are just compressing it a lot. If I used a compressor with a 1ms attack time and a ratio of 4:1 would you call that a limiter or compressor?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

THIS is compression:

It's all about character, and is very reminiscent of a synthesizer's ADSR.

No seriously a limiter is a very hard compressor.

If we're going to quote wikipedia then here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Limiting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

Exactly my point, when you use fast (hard) attack settings on a compressor, you are limiting. The ratio really doesn't matter if the attack is slow, because then you aren't limiting, you are compressing.

Good to see that we agree.

No, if you are using hard compressing you are compressing something hard. When you are using a limiter that uses a fast attack and large ratio you are compressing something hard. Limiting like this is simply another form of compression, expressing it how you are (hard compressing should just be called limiting) just confuses people and isn't accurate, as there is another type of limiting where the peaks are simply cut off rather than gain adjustment like a compressor.

Also, what wandering kid said.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

So I have a question for WanderingKid and Stux. When setting up delay on a vocal send, what's the best value to start with for the pre-delay setting? Do you prefer a hall, or a vocal plate? Or maybe a spring delay? I want a lot of echo, so should I set the diffusion value high or low?

Here's a screenshot, please share your thoughts on some good settings for this delay:

Also while we're at it, I was wondering what tunings I should use for this guitar, I'm looking for something along the lines of a James Hetfeild, Dave Mustaine Guitar sound. Do you think this will work? This guitar pictured below? For guitar recordings?

I think in both cases what you need to do is get a compressor and set it up like this:

That should get you the sounds you are looking for!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oredun posted:

can you play an instrument? for me taking lessons for my instrument(and im in college for music, jazz specifically, which again i couldnt learn properly from a book) really opened my eyes to so many techniques that i just couldnt have understood from a book. so thats why i recommend a teacher because they can actually teach you stuff and you dont just read dry rear end literature about what you are doing.

and i never post my songs because i am really just not satisfied with my work yet, everyone who hears them says theyre so pro sounding(everyones e-music is pro sounding these days), why dont i play them out, blah blah. so im right there with you. your earlier post just made me laugh out loud and it almost didnt seem real, so sorry if you were offended.

I dont think there are really many teachers that teach electronic music making? Other than taking a course at a college on music tech or whatever.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

El Scandelouse posted:

i dont really see how making electronic music is much different than regular music?

Learning an instrument is a lot different to learning how to use a DAW, VSTs, as well as learning the different styles of music etc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

What do ya'll use to organize your drum samples in Logic/Pro Tools? I'm a diehard simpler in Live kinda guy, with seperated tracks for EVERY indivdual drum hit.. but now I'm attempting to learn Logic and quickly learning I don't know what the gently caress to do with drums once I've lost my precious Simpler and Impulse. I'm thinking about just straight up putting them all in as audio tracks.. but working with fills just sounds horrendous without MIDI.

And I really hate iDrum, Drumagog, all of that bullshit. I HAVE to have separated tracks for all of my drum parts. Anyone have a neat solution for this in Logic?

Uh just load up multiple ESX24s? Why do you want each hit on a seperate track by the way?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Fog posted:

NI Battery

Cleaner and easier to mix!

If thats the only reason then set the EXS up as multi out, you get seperate channels for each hit for putting on EQ, compression, effects etc, while having the ease of using one track for all the programming.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

It was a trick I learned from MSTRKRFT. My drums have improved quadruple ever since I started doing it. What helps me is that I can CLEARLY see where the hi hats come in, the cowbell drops.. where the break happens.. etc. If it's just one track holding all that info I can't visually see any of that. All I see is a single bar. That visual aspect for me is key and it let's me be more creative and intuitive!

Plus I like to use alot of semi-complex routing when it comes to my drum tracks. I usually have a couple aux tracks dedicated to different eq's, reverbs and saturators. That's something I can't do with Drum Racks or EXS, even if every drum channel has a spot for separate effects.

Thanks for the EXS suggestion, I'll try it out.

Afaik you can aux the exs outs as well.

Also fair enough on the other point, I much prefer having all the programming in one lump, I find it easier to read that way

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I had the axiom 61 at mine for a while and it was pretty good.
Natural dislike towards edirols but i'm not sure why.

Edirol is roland so v:shobon:v

I have the PCR800, its nice, has a lot of sliders, knobs, drum pads, the keys are nice. Its nice!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Is there no EQ in reason or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

One way to get good BoC type sound is running the synth through an autotuner set to 0ms attack. If theres a little bit of modulation on the synth already it really gets that pitch bending sound spot on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Halo posted:

there's a few ways to get wavering pitch, but boc's sound is more than just that. they use old samplers and old gear to make their music sound, well, genuinely old. tycho does it better than anyone and even he doesn't sound as authentic as they do.

http://www.last.fm/music/Stux/2008+Demo/Swept :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Unless your sampler is using tape its going to be digital...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Halo posted:

SYNTHS? I know Logic has great effects, but synths?

You could get by with logic and no VST synths at all pretty easily.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

There's the problem :fry:

That 1:09 thing needs to be reworked. It's a cool idea for something like that to happen, but it just sounds wonky as it is. I feel like it needs to come in slower or something it just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe more release on it to make it spacier? I'm just throwing out ideas.

The track gets a little complicated at 2:30 with both leads playing at once. It feels like they're fighting for the same space.

Last time I checked, Logic was $150 if you're a student.

If you're in the uk and not in a uni the apple student discount is pretty dire, on a macbook pro and logic 8 I saved about £200 if that. Whats the percent in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Altoidss posted:

If I wanted to sample extensively from a classical piano track played rubato (so the tempo wavers around) in Ableton I could just warp it.

Is there something similar in Logic for getting a long piece of music to play in time? Or would I be screwed in that case?

The audio editor in logic which comes up from double clicking the file has a warping function.

• Locked thread