Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Some really good front page information. I am interested in picking up a new hobby and this sounded fun as I like Electronic music and such. So from what I read on the page, I have a brand new computer and if I wanted to just test the water before I jumped head first into this to see if I like it, Audacity would be a good free software to start on?

Is that all I need to just start on the cheap is a decent computer and some free software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Audacity is mainly a wave editor.

Just test every demo version and see if you can get any sound out of those.

As for "all you need", yes; and a decent soundcard plus some good speakers if you want to listen to it in another place than just where your computer is.

Thanks for the info. Now as you say Audacity is a wave editor, I assume it wouldn't be the correct software to create your own sounds, or would it? If not, what software should I look to?

I guess I am just trying to find out a basic checklist of software and perhaps even hardware to get to create and make my own sounds, string them along and make something.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I am looking into making some techno music/beats via a synthesizer just for fun and looking for something to just play around with. First thought after watching some videos was to pick up a Korg Kaossilator as I am not at all familiar with playing a piano. While I was in the local guitar shop, a salesguy directed me over to the NI Maschine if I wanted to make some music. It seemed pretty intuitive to use, but I didn't pull the trigger (600 is about my max and the Maschine was 600).

Am I on the wrong path for a newbie getting into this? Do I go with something like the Kaossilator or something very robust like the Maschine? Or do I look at something completely different?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

What software is considered the easiest to use out of the list in the main page for those who are just starting out and not completely with the lingo yet?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Figured this was the best place to ask for this, hope I am right. My brother is a professional wedding photographer and I am his 2nd shooter. We were talking about potentially offering DJ music into packages that we sell. I know next to nothing about DJing, but looking for some information on what it would take specifically DJ hardware wise to get a wedding DJ setup going. Anyone do this or have any recommendations on where to start?

• Locked thread