Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007
Does anybody have drum and bass production experience? I won't post my questions here because I have a whole heap of genre specific ones, but if there's anybody out there who'd be willing to give me a bit of advice/answer some questions, it'd stop me from going crazy trying to figure this poo poo out.

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Anyway, for what you want to ask there's Dogs On Acid

Thanks for reminding me about DoA. I'd browsed through it a while back, but forgotten just how much is on there.

For those that are interested, this page is largely what I was looking for.

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

I'm having trouble with drum programming. I'm ok with slow grooves, but I have no diea where you even begin to start making those crazy fast drum and bass/jungle style loops. I'm using Reason and Ableton.

I had a bit of trouble nailing down a lot of the standard drum and bass beats, but I'm starting to get my head around it now. ManoliIsFat is right about the snare - adding a snapping snare on beats 2 and 4 give a really familiar feel to your drums. If you move back the second snare hit to the 3& beat(as in, 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &), it gives you that nice syncopated, dancy feel that a lot of tunes use.

Check out this site for a couple of the more standard backing beats. It even has a nice set of samples you can use so things start to sound a bit more junglish.

I'm using Ableton too, so I could always save something and upload it, if you wanted to have a look.

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

dnb

I'm still starting out producing drum and bass, but I'll share what I've picked up so far.

Normally a tune idea starts from a break (for example, the Amen) which you loop and mess around with. It's a good idea to get a whole bunch of generic DnB breaks from sample packs (this is a great resource) and slice them up into the individual hits, so you can learn how a dnb break works. Move different hits around and see what you can come up with. For example, this could be turned into something like this. That's using only the sounds in the original break, but you can add in hits from other breaks, distortion, etc to get something cool.

Once you've got your wicked original break, grab some samples, write a bass line and try following the advice here. Then just gently caress around and see what you can come up with!

Probably the best bit of advice I've picked up is when you sit down and try and make something, try and get out a whole tune. You can waste hours loving around with a sample and making it sound awesome, but it's way more productive and educational to bang out a whole tune from start to finish, despite it's suckiness.

edit: oh yeah, and back up your stuff. My hard drive died on Monday morning, and I lost four nearly complete tunes that I was working on :(

Packed Tightly fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 3, 2008

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

This is my second finished drum and bass tune, and I'd love to get some real constructive criticism - mostly in the EQ/mix down department. If I could get some suggestions/criticisms about the tune/flow of the tune as a whole as well, that'd really help me out.

Thanks!

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007

Packed Tightly posted:

This is my second finished drum and bass tune, and I'd love to get some real constructive criticism - mostly in the EQ/mix down department. If I could get some suggestions/criticisms about the tune/flow of the tune as a whole as well, that'd really help me out.

Thanks!

Anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007
I'm using Ableton to DJ, and it works great with two tracks - I have enough buttons and knobs on my midi controller to do everything I want to do. I want to start branching out to more tracks (hopefully 4), but I'm running in to the problem of not having enough space left of my controller.

What I want to be able to do is have different presets saved so that one preset controls certain things in Live, and then when I switch the preset, the same knob or button controls something different.

I've been looking for ages for how to do this, but I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might accomplish this?

• Locked thread