Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I've been looking to get my first hardware synth so the discussions about the MicroKORG and R3 are great. Any other opinions on a good first synth? (Less than $500 would be great.)

I've got an old, crappy MIDI keyboard I use right now but I have to do all my synth programming via Live. It'd be nice to have actual hardware to play with if I don't want to stare at the computer screen after a long day of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

squidgee posted:

The Alesis Micron is really nice too, but also suffers from a lack of knobbiness. You can probably pick up better synths second hand if you scout out eBay, but if you insist on new then it's a good bet.

I don't mind second-hand gear, I just don't want to get screwed over since I'm a newb to hardware synths.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

So despite producing for a few years now, I really am out of the loop when it comes to the online communities. SA forum has some good quality posters and content but I'd like to branch out a bit more and find a slightly more... active(?) community and posters, hopefully touch base or make connections with other producers who like my thing.

So that being said, as a mostly digital producer who uses Ableton, where might I go? Preferably a place with a minimum of tight asses or genre bashing.

/r/edmproduction

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

THE MOON! posted:

Does anyone here know of other website forums that have threads like the "how to make a particular sound," thread. That thread is kind of dead now and I am wanting to find the same kind of help and advice that thread was able to offer.

Reddit's /r/edmproduction tends to have weekly "how do I make this sound" threads. Here's the most recent one: http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/2bzumd/how_do_i_make_this_sound_thread_july_29/

• Locked thread