Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
This seems to be the most appropriate thread for this.

How would I go about creating some chiptune style stuff? I use Reason/Logic (like reason a little better for purely electronic things). Am I just going to need to find a plugin/refill that emulates NES style stuff? (not necessarily looking for NES only, just stuff that sounds 8/16-bit). Or is there a good way of getting the general sound out of some of the synths in reason? I noticed some presets have an 8-bit feel to them but aren't quite "there" for me.

Any kind of response is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Yoozer posted:

wall of awesome

holy crap, thanks.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Hey y'all. So, I normally write death metal, but in my spare time/boredom/in between metal albums, I decided to try my hand at electronic stuff. I'm kind of at the point where I have a few things done or nearly done, and I'm wondering if what I have here is worth pursuing further or it's just dorky garbage that sounds like someone opened up a few soft synths in Logic and called it a day. I like the direction I'm heading, even though I'd like to write dancey-er stuff in the future (hopefully get at least one out soon), but considering my forte is in aggressive music, I'm not sure how tasteful this stuff is. Also, I'm starting to hit a wall where I'm not sure how to add to these much more. First two are kind of chill/faux R&B things, third one is like...rappy?

https://soundcloud.com/seraphslaughter/always-on-1

https://soundcloud.com/seraphslaughter/near

https://soundcloud.com/seraphslaughter/stacked

please tell me if I'm onto something or I shouldn't quit my death metal day job

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I like the two first ones most. Gotta ask though: are you consciously leaving space for vocals that are yet to come? If not, they all can use a bit more action. Just some vocals would work perfectly though.

It's definitely not poo poo. Quite reminds me of Sven van Hees.

I didn't want there to be vocals when I started writing this stuff, but "add vocals" is the universal response I'm getting. Thing is vocals are always the thing I'm the worst at, in both performing AND mixing them, so I'm afraid I'll ruin it :ohdear:. They all definitely do need a bit more action though, especially in the upper range of frequencies. I suppose I could sample some vocals somehow, or see if my roommate who is a good female doom metal singer might somehow transfer onto these well.

thanks for listening. "definitely not poo poo" is what I really need to know.

• Locked thread