Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Edit: Can someone give me some kind of label to throw on the song I did? I put it on NG for funsies and threw it under industrial. I know it doesn't belong in that category but their options are limited so when someone decided to correct me and advised throwing it under techno I was bit taken back. I mean it's even further from techno than industrial, but I'm not sure where it "fits" in the bullshit subgenre blendings.

As a broad classification I don't think techno is too bad a tag for your stuff actually. It sounds like the atmospheric end of Detroit techno / electro meets old-school trance. Also, I've always loved the music in Deus Ex as well and if this is what it inspires you to produce by all means keep playing! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Red Garland posted:

Guys, I want to ask two questions.

1) What defines the quality and, in effect, price of a MIDI controller? Is it just the ammount of keys and buttons/knobs or lack thereof?

Aside from the obvious considerations such as size and level of control, in general you're looking at the overall quality of construction (i.e., if it feels cheap or plastic-y) as well as the action on the keys and the feel of the knobs and faders.

Akai and Novation tend to make the best MIDI controllers these days, and M-Audio is usually pretty solid as well if a bit hit-or-miss in terms of quality control. Basically, if you're not too picky and want to get up and running quickly, one of M-Audio's entry level models should probably work for you.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lump Shaker posted:

Here's some kind of darker broken beat techno I just finished. Feedback as always is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/ttinga-roomworm

Nice work! This sounds very much like Monolake, especially circa the Momentum album. If I had any comment it would be that it almost sounds too derivative of that specific sound to me, and I might like to hear a bit more of your own stamp on the overall texture. That said, you've nailed the atmosphere and sound design, and you're not in a bad position if your biggest problem is sounding too much like Monolake.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The reason you want an audio interface for monitoring is exactly the same as why you want one for recording, the process is simply reversed. When you record into a computer you are converting an analog signal to digital, when you output to a speaker or monitor you are converting digital to analog. The difference between a dedicated audio interface and your computer's stock sound card is the quality of the A/D and D/A convertors. The short answer is that yes, you should really be sending your mixes through an interface if at all possible.

As for suggestions, I would look into the lower end of the range of a nice brand like Genelec, Focal or Dynaudio if you don't mind spending a bit more. You can walk away with a small but great pair of monitors from all of them for about $800-$1000 total. It's worth the money - good monitors are really the biggest single factor in improving the quality of your mixes. Consider something from the Yamaha HS series for a less expensive solution.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

cubicle gangster posted:

dicking around with feedback, distortion & samples of helicopters.

https://soundcloud.com/downpour/140405a

I like this - reminds me of the harder, more industrial-influenced techno from the 90's... Jeff Mills, Surgeon, Robert Hood, etc. Nicely done!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

TopherCStone posted:

Actually a musical programming language would be really cool too, do you have anything in mind? I have some experience with programming and doing some CAD work programmatically with OpenSCAD, so I think I'd be able to get my head around that pretty well.

Check out Pure Data, which is a graphical audio / visual environment. Setting up systems that pass MIDI messages to other programs is a core strength of Pd, and although it seems intimidating you can actually get some really cool stuff going in short order, especially if you already have a programming background.

If you're interested, I'd recommend going through these lessons to get started:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL12DC9A161D8DC5DC

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

cubicle gangster posted:

I did make an ambient track with the modular last week - https://soundcloud.com/downpour/0005-9-audio
Tried to 'play it' using PP and lots of knob turning to go on a little journey through sounds. its so much fun.

I'm digging this. Has some shades of Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack which is definitely a vibe that I'm into.

What modular system do you have? I'm toying with picking up a small semi-modular at some point, maybe that new Moog Mother-32. Seems nice as it's not a huge investment and with the Eurorack compatibility I can expand down the road if I want.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Wizchine posted:

We should be happy enough if we can just make a good song - the burden of coming up with something "revolutionary" - especially when starting out - sets the bar so high it's ridiculous.

Yeah, I feel that aiming for novelty before really understanding what makes the tried-and-true actually work so well is a big misstep for a lot of people just starting out. If anything your productions at that point should be derivative because that's the best way to understand the underlying structures and conventions of a certain genre, and then you can start start experimenting and twisting things around once you have that foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

cubicle gangster posted:

I realised I hadnt made anything for over 6 months, so I grabbed some old sketches and had a go at arranging them into something that felt like a real track.
https://soundcloud.com/downpour/160827a-1
Feedback very welcome

I've been tyring to make proper music, with more melody and maybe even something someone could describe as a bit of a soul, but it's miserable going. learning keyboard and practicing guitar has got in the way of ever actually making a thing.

Digging this a lot. I love that kind of dubby, atmospheric tech-house sound, it reminds me of a lot of the stuff that Kompakt was releasing in mid / late 00's. I think it could use some editing - for me things start to drag a bit around the 5 minute mark, when it comes back in with the tougher rhythm work. You don't really have a lot of time to build up much momentum and I don't think it adds much to the track overall. I can see what you're going for there trying to build up some energy after the atmospheric stuff but it just doesn't have the impact that it needs and it ends up sounding a bit confused and half-hearted. I think the structure is pretty good though, maybe a bit long, I think around 6 minutes is probably a good time for a track like this. Nice work overall!

• Locked thread