Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I've been trying to make louder, more party-suited music and I'm looking for feedback on it. sort of a wonky beat:
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/grngltr-v1

I'm mostly looking for advice on mixing and how to vary the lead a little more, but any criticism is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

how can i get a large-sounding (for lack of a better term) bass like the one here? so far i've tried doing it in ableton analog with dual sines and adding reverb but it just doesn't have the same thunder to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDuPCj0NKg&t=355s

i know some of it is the kick drum, i'm talking about the bits that aren't.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yeah i have no idea why i didn't think of that. thank you both

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

real nap poo poo posted:

People seem to either not respond or respond with a "dang this is dope keep it up!" without anything in between whenever I post my stuff. I'd love more pointed critique or criticisms of my mixing ability, songwriting, etc. Don't just pick at me for the sake of picking at me, or do, I guess, but I'd like to know what things stand out to you or that you like or dislike. Don't listen with an attitude going in of "okay I'm gonna find everything wrong with this", but I would like to know what you think isn't working about it. If that at all makes sense. The hugbox of soundcloud/twitter/youtube/etc fans is cool but it's not helping me progress or grow as an artist.

I guess I'd like to know what you think of my most recent releases, but feel free to go back if you like and tell me I was way better at computer music 2 years ago or something. Thanks!

https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/music

i like the first track of this quite a bit:
https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/album/let-the-reaper-reap

but you faded it out at the end and did it so quickly too, whyyyy :(
i just don't think it rly fits the elongated droning of the rest of the track

cubicle gangster posted:

Ni have been releasing genre specific expansions for maschine for a while, that's your best bet. If you don't have a maschine... uh, get one, they're really good.

have you used a push? if so, which would you prefer, the maschine or push?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

thanks, that makes sense. i've used a push a bit and i personally don't get much out of it that i couldn't get with a launchpad, i don't enjoy producing with it much.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

start whistling.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

hi i haven't posted stuff here for a long time but i will now. don't know why. i like nightcore, footwork, field recordings and supersentimental rhodes

this is a 170bpm remix of ariana grande - one last time
https://soundcloud.com/sylvanidyllics/ineed2be_2letgo

this is a 170bpm emotional joint
https://soundcloud.com/sylvanidyllics/another-final-exorcism-attempt

this is a 160bpm fictional track. i'm actually redoing the drums in the latter bit because i made this several months ago before i had a better grasp of footwork kick drum placement.
https://soundcloud.com/sylvanidyllics/she-sparkles

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 15, 2016

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

you can use private links on soundcloud

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

JVNO posted:

So whenever I look at a mixing tutorial, they usually have the drums bussed into two tracks, usually 'Drums' and 'Percussion'. The distinction between the two has always seemed a bit arbitrary to me; is this a vocabulary thing or one of those 'feel it out' things? Most often I'll see bass, snare, clap, and maybe simple closed hh in the first category, whereas the more rythmic/groove elements are usually in the latter.

And as a matter of taste- do you goons prefer to bus your snare rolls, reverse snare/crash, and crashes up with the drums or with your effects?

i got all my drums under a group in ableton, but each element gets its own channel. i got a compressor on the drum group and filters as needed for sweep events throughout the song or w/e

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

61-key is generally enough to play most classical pieces, i play some satie and ohalloran and einauldi on a 61 without a problem

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i mean a 61key will do most things unless youre into chopin or liszt, which you are probably not

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yeah honestly thats a dumb thing to say

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

also mac support.... but lmk when someone fully supports the push2 on fl studio otherwise im staying ableton :twisted:

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I've been listening to electronic music almost exclusively for the last... 17 years or so. However the few attempts I've had at production never went anywhere. I find myself so overwhelmed by everything that it just feels hopeless. Right now I have Logic Pro X on my MBA. I'm wondering what the next step is from here. I don't have monitors but I have some Sennheiser headphones. Honestly I open up the software and I am totally clueless. It looks like it wants me to plug in a MIDI keyboard? Is that what I should buy first? I don't want to spend too much until I decide if I can really do it...

Also is there a good tutorial you'd recommend for Logic? I found several on youtube. Also wondering if getting an actual "tutor" would be a good idea. Not sure how much it would cost though.

Thanks

basically what you need to do is limit yourself. this is easily done with hardware, as someone suggested, i got my skills back up by producing on only an ipad for a few years. you could even just install a DAW on your phone, korg gadget for ios or caustic for android, or maybe just a drum synth / a sampler for one of those

but you need to limit yourself, and then you can focus, and then you can learn, and expand, and grow

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i mean ive taught ppl specific tricks and workflows for $20/hr but rly itd be best to get in there and gently caress around. just grab a demo of fl studio or something and gently caress around

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

akai mpk25 is p nice for basic melody lines and it has drumpads and knobs. korg probably has equivalents if you want korg poo poo

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

you can get a cheap 61-key and pedal for under $200, tho that mostly only matters if yr playing piano pieces. if youre not sure about this it doesnt rly hurt to get a cheap 25-key controller and have it around for later.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

just be ceephax acid crew haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

save up like $1000 and get an apollo twin lol

• Locked thread