Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

pengO posted:

i run a serato setup with a pretty mediocre mixer and set of tables and i've been trying to figure out the best way to record my mixes. one way i've done it is to split my rca cables coming out of the mixer, run them to a rca->1/8" converter, and plug into the line in on a macbook pro and record in garageband. today i worked out a setup using audio recorder where i just plugged into the line in on the black macbook i usually mix on. it seems though that the line in on the macbook gets saturated very easily. is there another way or some kind of device i could buy for greater fidelity in my recordings or should i just turn down the master volume on my mixer?

Does the recording sound right if you turn the master volume down? If so thats probably your best bet, that and turn the speakers up so you can hear it. Unless you have two outputs on your mixer (this is ideal) so one goes to the speakers and one goes to the laptop for recording. When I'm recording stuff off my decks I have one cable connecting my laptop to the booth out of my mixer and then the speakers go through the master out, that way i can control both volumes separately. So basically, depends on what kind of mixer you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

pengO posted:

word, i have a cheap piece of poo poo numark mixer with only one output so i guess i'll just try loving around with volumes before i record again. thanks.

i haven't even heard that serato had a recording feature, how do i get to it? i only use mp3s but i can't imagine how it would work since serato doesnt know what's going on at the mixer.

One other thought. I don't know serato at all so I dunno if that can record, but I know on my computer (a PC however) that just like you can change normal volume you can change input volume. I feel like there is too from what I can remember with loving around with garage band a while back. You may be able to just turn that down till its not clipping anymore, that may be the easiest way if it actually works like I think it would.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

Added Trip-Hop to the OP. Hopefully this will finish all genres.

NEVARRRR WHAT ABOUT EPIC UPLIFTING VOCAL TRANCE?!

But yeah, looks pretty good to me. And good call on trip-hop, it's distinctive enough to warrant its own category.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I got a technical help question actually. I rewire reason into live a lot, and I've done it on several computers and don't think I'm doing anything 'wrong' per se. However, I always have to do some pre-delay on the reason tracks. Always took this as standard cause its separate programs, whatever. However, a lot of the time the amount of delay I need won't be static, and it'll depend on what my computer's doing. For instance, maybe I need a like 60ms predelay with just reason and ableton running and one synth. However with several other synths in ableton playing and maybe firefox running, it'll change. And then if I create another synth track, it'll alter it further. This is a major pain in the rear end, anyone know why it's doing this? (it's gotten to the point at times where I can't touch the computer while its rendering as any cpu usage will gently caress up the timing)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Edirol FA-66 Audio Interface, running asio with buffer set to minimum :/

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

sh1fty posted:

I'm still having a hard time grasping the whole gated thing. All I notice in that clip is less hi hats, is that all? Maybe I'll just google the term and see whats up.

Man I love Shpongle! In college I was into that whole physidellic drug thing, and realllllly fell in love with this band. Awesome. I feel like Wayne in Wayne's World (when he's looking at that guitar) listening to their songs.

She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine.

Well to start on gating:

wikipedia posted:

A Noise Gate or gate is an electronic device or software logic that is used to control the volume of an audio signal. In its most simple form, a noise gate allows a signal to pass through only when it is above a set threshold: the gate is 'open'. If the signal falls below the threshold no signal is allowed to pass (or the signal is substantially attenuated): the gate is 'closed'. [1]A noise gate is used when the level of the 'signal' is above the level of the 'noise'. The threshold is set above the level of the 'noise' and so when there is no 'signal' the gate is closed. A noise gate does not remove noise from the signal. When the gate is open both the signal and the noise will pass through.

However thats more of a level-based gate and here's we're just talking about a rhythmic one. The base function of a rhythm gate is the same as above though. The gate will either be open (everything plays as normal) or closed (nothing plays). So by setting the gate to be open on the first 16th note then closed for the 2nd 16th note and back and forth you get the effect you heard above. The best example I can think of this is an old 2 many DJ's set but thats way too big to download just for this if you can even find it.

Anyways, listen to the sample again and just listen specifically how in the second part every other note seems to be silent or more choppy.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

I need the Benassi Bros Bass sound. So far, I understand it's a Nord Lead Library in EXS24 titled Nord Lead W1200, with the "Saw Lead" preset.

Does anyone have a Nord that can check this for me? I know it's compressed as hell also, but I'm missing the timbre of the original form.

Alternately, does anyone have an idea of what would be used to achieve a similar effect?

Vengeance put out some Thor presets for Reason that have pretty much the exact Benny Benassi sound.

Here's a quick sample I put together in 5 minutes, the kick and drum loops are just simple things I had and I grabbed the midi online, the first one esp. is really drat close to the real thing. If you have thor I'd be happy to share/post a screenshot or something of the patch.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Monopthalmus posted:

Any opinions on the M-Audio ProKeys 88? I'd like to get something that I can use as both a MIDI controller as well as learn to really play piano on, and there's a good deal on a used one locally I'm interested in. Either that or the Keystation Pro 88, which would be a better MIDI controller but has no built-in piano sounds. I don't think that really matters, however.

I got the Keystation Pro 88 and I got no problems with it, if you got any specific questions just shoot.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I've been thinking of trying max/msp or buzz for a while now, but the learning curve just always seemed ridiculous. However, with the number of people i've seen cropping up there's gotta be something to it, so is there any good intro / for dummies type tutorials out there that people could vouch for (I know google will turn up plenty of hits for this but with something like this it'd be better to just go with something i know has worked for someone)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Started working on this today, but i'm not sure where to go with it/if it's worth carrying on...

Decided to make my style a bit darker. Began trying to make minimal basslines and weird noises and escalated from there.

Probably wont get to work on it again till sunday, but any comments people have would be very helpful :)

Just started listening but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that bassline is groovin.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Definitely not its own thread-worthy so I figure I'll ask here. I've done tons of googling but I feel a bit behind on the jargon, so yeah: I am the proud owner of a tb303 with a devilfish mod. It was given to me as a gift from someone who didn't use it that much last year and I use it a bit but I'm absolutely horrible with the sequencer, and I KNOW its possible to control it through an external midi controller/DAW but I don't know exactly what kind of converter I need (cv/gate-->midi I think?) but I've seen a bunch out there and I really just don't know what I actually need, so does anyone have any experience/insight? Thanks in advance :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

BunnyX posted:

Bare in mind that none of these converters are cheap and you'll be looking at minimum £80 for one unless you can find a bargain secondhand.
Oi :(
But yeah, kinda what I figured. And yeah, its already modded so I'd probably be looking at the Kenton as it seems that despite being just what I wanted, the Phillip Rees MCV is discontinued and I don't see any used ones for sale anyways. Thanks though :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Ooh another quick question, someone post a program a while back that stretches sound files crazy amounts, for making soundscapes and such. I know I downloaded but this computer is disorganized as gently caress and I don't know what its called, anyone remember what the name of it is?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Aw man, a wishlist for live 8:
-more than 128 parameters
-curved breakpoints (unless i'm missing something, i haven't figured out how to do it and ffs flstudio does it easily)
-DUAL MONITORS SUPPORT AAAAAAAAAAAAH (didn't realize there was none, when i finally upgraded to a desktop and got two monitors for some reason i assumed i'd be able to put the session view in one monitor and clip view in the other....nnnnnnnnope)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Halo posted:

seriously, you can tell me what you think all you want, but it would be way cooler to present your own work and show how bad rear end you are at making electronic/club/DJ music than to just talk poo poo. and i'm like a born again? haha
gently caress it I'll bite.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99284/The%20Roots%20-%20Criminal%20%28Mezzir%20Bootleg%29.mp3
The Roots had a remix contest for this a little while back, completely forgot about it till after the deadline but oh well.

Entirely made with samples from other stuff, no synths of any sort.

Just some dickin around from a month or two ago.

Edit: Live >>> FL, I'm a former FL user.

and re: the next post, Radiohead also didn't make you pay for their album, and they make pretty loving good music to boot.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 31, 2008

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

trill rear end posted:

how does this sound with everyone? im trying out some poo poo with no normalizing and over driving my DAW
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ke4fnc

Sounds like someone's been listening to Danger :) (good thing)

High synth early gets drowned out even though it sounds like its clipping

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone got any comments? Going to have another go over in an hour and see what I can tidy/finish off.

Bit late if you only wanted feedback within that hour, but better late than never?

All sounds pretty dope to me aside from that rimshot. It just seems to dry / loud / something. Everything else I really like, but that rimshot for some reason just kills the song for me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

I am having an rear end of a time making the SIMPLEST GODDAMN SOUND.

It's the lead from PPK - Resurrection

Basically sounds like a sine wave. The one that hits at 0:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPTgJbfJZ8

Someone help me out here. What the poo poo I can't get it to sound correct.

Using Synth1 to figure this out, and I think yoozer's right that saturating helps but I think my initial intuition was right that you want a triangle layered in there as well as a sine.

Rather than a printscreen cause its fairly simple, start a new sound, set osc2 to triangle, set the osc1/2 mix to somewhere in the middle (thuogh I'm thinking maybe 2/3 towards triangle), osc2's fine adjust to 0, and up the saturation under the filter section, and that should just about do it (fiddle with the saturation to get it right).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Stux posted:

help i have no idea what to do with this track what am i doing aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Needs some samples from random 50's documentaries.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Anacostia posted:

How do you guys like to color code your ableton sets? I've been looking for a good system and am curious to what others do.

Things stay the color they are when they are created (random) except when I make a copy of a loop/sample/etc for the sole purpose of copying and altering it, in which case I'll change the color. At random.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Remix I'm workin on of Blackalicious - Make You Feel That Way

kinda riding on deadmau5's style a bit much for my taste but nothing else I've tried has been working. Any opinions anyone?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

i like it, but i think you gotta cut the horns harder or do SOMETHING to make it seem like more than just a blend. now it just seems like a dj trick and you're playing both songs at the same time. i REALLY like how the horns sound with your beat. nice and spacey, but i think the whole thing needs more of an edge.

that's a way general and unhelpful suggestion, i know, but i think if you sit on this for a day or two and come back to it, you'll be able to take it to that next level.

Hah thats like the exact thing I was hoping for, more specific maybe, but still. I like it so far, but its still just not quite there in some intangible way.

Anyone got any opinion on possibly taking it in a more deep direction, doing a deep house-y bassline and toning down the 1.8 notes?
Think that may be what i try next regardless. Those horns just make me want some real nice flowing relax and ever so slightly funky bassline.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

How about........this:

Not sure if I like it or not

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

I love the hell out of this. It's a mix of house with trip-hop/hip-hop. I would say fix the levels because it seems sorta loud but that might just be tindecks flash player.

Yeah it might be a little but iirc if the volume on the tindeck player is over 50% you get some distortion / clipping. Newer version too, should be up later tonight.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I really have no idea what prompted this. Still rough but I actually like it a bit :gay:

It's a remix of Craig David - Fill Me In

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Automating delay settings is my new favorite thing:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

So yeah, really my new(ish) favorite thing is remixing r&b. Don't know why, but Craig David - Fill Me In last week, and now Blu Cantrell - Hit Em Up Style

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Boxx posted:

I'm feelin this bassline mang

Haha god drat, this always happens. The ONE thing in the song I'm really not sure about is the thing people like, go figure. Yeah I'm still not 100% confident its not too simple, its just fuckin half notes all song long, but at the same time I can't write anything that sounds better, so idk what to do about it really. Leave it I guess?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I have a question pertaining to Live 8.

Is there a way to sidechain compress specific frequency ranges? I want to get the sub range freqs from the kick to duck the sub out of the bass, without pumping the midrange and higher freqs.

Anyone?

If you use the built in compressor, iirc there's an EQ button next to the sidechain button. That should do it, unless I've been using that wrong all these years, which is entirely possible.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Busta Rhymes over nudisco. Idk, but I kinda like it. I kinda just want to work on the instrumental but without vocals it just sounds god drat empty.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

That acapella has been used SOOOOOOOO much, that I think you gotta come fresher with this. Its a weird one, and people always cut some phrases short to make the next line fall on the beat. You got some real obvious cuts that I think detract from the track.

I had an idea that if you maybe just used to hook, or cut up the verses just SOMETHING where you weren't playing the whole song over this other song.

The backing track is way tight, but it is thin and needs that something the vox give it. But I think you really need to come at it again.

Huh didn't know it was overused, but it is mainly just a placeholder, I have a lot of trouble structuring my songs so I like to throw an acapella to help me during the early stages, then later when its coming together finally, take off the acapella and ideally find someone to do some vox or otherwise polish it as an instrumental. But yeah you're right, the backing is thin without the vox :/ I think I'm just god-awful at melodies. Appreciate the feedback though :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

More of a help question but seeing as we're already talking audio interfaces. The last few days, randomly (as far as I can tell) my sound will just stop. I'm using a Edirol FA-66 and I believe that's the problem. Sometimes just turning it off then on again will fix it, sometimes I'll need to restart. Anyways, I haven't the slightest idea whats causing it and Edirol's help pages are loving useless, anyone got any idea?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

mezzir posted:

More of a help question but seeing as we're already talking audio interfaces. The last few days, randomly (as far as I can tell) my sound will just stop. I'm using a Edirol FA-66 and I believe that's the problem. Sometimes just turning it off then on again will fix it, sometimes I'll need to restart. Anyways, I haven't the slightest idea whats causing it and Edirol's help pages are loving useless, anyone got any idea?

Anyone? Happening more than ever now, though restarting the audio interface and the programs using it usually fixes it. but still, reinstalled the drivers and all and it's still happening :/

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Vanmani posted:

I get the same problem with my Alesis io26. Also Firewire. My suspicion is that the interface loses sync with the computer, since the interface is still clearly working as direct monitoring is fine. I'm not really sure what to try other than a different firewire cable or port. What I've been doing is leaving the interface unplugged when I'm not using it so that it's always freshly synced when I want to work.
Seems like a good idea, but all my audio goes through this and I have something playing 95% of the time I'm on my computer :/ Even just playing tf2 over the course of a long couple games it'll go from being fine to stuttering a little. Also increasing the buffer doesn't seem to help, still happens even when I have the 'max buffer' setting checked.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

xpander posted:

For what it's worth, I have an FA-66 and I haven't had any sound issues yet. Haven't done any custom config, and I'm usually working in Ableton or Acid Pro. The games I've played haven't given me issues either.

Yeah I've had the FA-66 for over a year and this only just just started happening, so overall I'm still happy with the unit. But god drat, its annoying.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

edit: found a way aroudn it, oh well

remix of passion pit - sleepy head

mezzir fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 11, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Electro-pop-i don't know what the gently caress
reminds me of a song by...the softlights i think?
Just one verse dealy and a bridge idea, but still.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

trill rear end posted:

workin on another new one, tryin to get my dubstep up to par

God drat I'm likin this. Almsot want the bass a bit more muted, but then again bass front and center seems pretty central to dubstep (i don't really know any/listen to dubstep)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Working on an instrumental and working with two possible acapellas as of now, anyone got any opinions?

Katy Perry - Waking up in vegas

Justin timberlake/ciara - love sex and magic i think the name is

• Locked thread