Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Mannex posted:

I think some of the ending bass "fill" notes don't match up to the key of the second version.

I'm going to have to go with the first one. It's more dancy, but the rhodes goes with timberlake more. The first one still barely wins.

I don't like that "straw" thing you have her singing through though. Makes me think "oh man I have to go help that girl out of the tube she's stuck in"

That straw is the acapella, had the instrumental and full mix, made the acapella meself, never turns out sounding great though :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

Pop song remixes :toot:

Gotta bring something else to the table man, for all the merits a song like this might have, if its essentially the original with a beat and phatter sounds, and everythign else is the same, I just see it being one of those songs the TOP40JAMZ stations plays at 2am on thursday nights as just a 'remix' (not a remix by anyone, just like a dance/club remix).

That said, this is exactly where I started several years back and I'm still doin pop remixes, so keep on keeping on, just try to make the song your own. There's an interview with soulwax somewhere talking about how they go about remixing, if you see it, watch it.

Also, gots my own pop remix :toot:

Started disco, adding some more modern flair to it and still not 100% sure I like it, might revert back to the strictly 70's version I posted earlier. Thoughts?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Mostly done-ish I believe, any opinions either way?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya man, I didn't mean for it to come off like that. You just gotta keep banging out tracks.

People use "producer" in that way so much I don't think you can call it a misuse. Its a pretty accepted definition.

Beaten. Writer's write, performers perform, producers...produce music. I can't think of another word to describe what I do do. I mean write music makes sense, but write doesn't seem to cover the whole act to me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

once again working on writing, i usually start with like an 8 bar loop, and then often suck balls at making it into a song. think this one's turning out alright so far

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

k so I finally achieved a totally loving badass kick and snare and whatnot. now how do i make the rest of the mix not suck balls:

bonus picture:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

trill rear end posted:

ps heres a demo of a song im working on

kinda like m83 dubstep

totally diggin this. rare to see a liberal, yet good use of reverb, esp on the bass

oh also bout my tune, the acapella in it?
created by me from an instrumental and full version using phase cancellation
:chord:

edit:

@dude asking about software: try the demos. srsly, i know people for whom reason is like a magic bullet, and yet i've never been able to make sense of it. i started with flstudio and went to live eventually, its all personal preference.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 22, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

goatmouth posted:

looking for midi keyboard advice

i have never tried making electronic music before, but it's something i'm very passionate about getting into. i don't want my gear to restrict me in any way, but my budget might make that an issue.

i'm thinking a logical first step would be to buy a moderately priced midi keyboard. i would like to spend $150 or less. i've been looking at the axiom-25(lowest price i've seen is $100 used), the axiom-49($150 used), and the oxygen 61(lowest price $85 used). what should i buy goons? are there any other keyboards out there that do what i need? i currently have all the knobs and faders i need in a uc-33 midi controller, but i'm thinking i need a keyboard too.

what kind of difference would weighted keys make to a beginner? if i'm not mistaken that's the big difference between the axiom series and the oxygen.

will i need more than 25 keys or is it easy to play on different octaves with just that many?

also open to any other advice for someone starting on the path to production :3:

i currently have a desktop pc, reason, and a uc-33 midi controller

Have you played a piano before or is a midi keyboard going to be your first key-based instrument? Cause if you're a piano player, flimsy keys might bug you, but if you're not already accustomed to fully weighted nice keys, it seems silly to spend more for the time being at least on weighted keys.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Just did a song in an hour or so, and is one of those where I look back and wonder what the christ I was thinking and why I just did that. Not that it's bad, just what the hell. Kinda like when I did a disco remix of never gonna give you up

anyways, the goods:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

This definitely falls into the category of 'what the gently caress did I just do, and why did I do it'
That said, I still kinda like it. It's an original piece with vocals from songs by Tag Team, Skee-Lo, and Paul Oakenfold.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New Track.

Really didn't like the panning on the alarm-esque synth, but everything else seemed was pretty chill.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

prom candy posted:

This is beautiful. I love this.

<3 all the comments, and god drat I want to rip the vox out, recreate the stuttered vox from the oakenfold song somehow, and get someone to do vox...but i kinda like it as is. Any interest in doing a vocal track for a single length version of this anyone? Rap or sing, don't matter, just something original and dope.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

hurr ya go

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Don't know why I did this, but I know someone who'll probably play it v:)v

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

more pop remix dickery

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

M83 - We Own the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzge5vY72hE

Plus a bit of m83 - can't stop in there as well, but we own the sky's the main one, yeah.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Just a fyi remix competitions generally suck. Don't ever get your hopes up. I've had a few that I've had a serious shot at, and some pretty god drat mediocre track wins. That said, gl to both of you, but yeah don't get your hopes up.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone got a link to the mibbit entrance to the ML irc room / does anyone still chill there?
Had that bookmarked ages ago but lost it somehow.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Holy shittttt anyone try protrig yet?
http://www.centipeak.com/protrig/
Check out the video.
Trying it out just for hand drumming and it'll take some tweaking and more than two mics to get it good, but god drat.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

That video wasn't very impressive until it got to the table drumming. Amazing :monocle:

I've tried it and I only have two mics so I can't get anything that in depth or anything but I was able to get a setup working pretty reliably for a kick hat and snare. lovely like $5 mic on the floor for the kick, sensitivity really low so I literally hit it with my foot to trigger it, boom mic over my desk so the mic's like an inch from the desk, use the desk as the snare, and hit the boom for the hat/ride/whatever. Definitely gonna start checking out tag sales for cheap mics and whatnot now. Or anyone know anyways to macguyver up microphones from household parts etc?

edit: also, track I started an hour ago or so

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

Er, I think you can technically use pairs of headphones/earbuds as microphones, but the output is ridiculously quiet/low-quality. Might work as a trigger, I suppose.

Ooooh poo poo true. Yeah and it just needs to have input, quality doesn't matter in the slightest. Also that would mean I could (if I can get it to work) turn two pairs of lovely earbuds I have into 4 drum triggers. Yessssssssss(maybe).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I don't know either.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Remixing Luther Vandross. As usual, I don't know either. And as usual, I think its started out pretty sick.
edit: newer fuller version up

mezzir fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

melee beats posted:

The only thing I can think of is Trilogy by Spectrasonics, but the samples it uses aren't that great

Agreed, but with some other processing is can sound pretty drat sweet.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

edit: bahahaha export is failure.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah I'm with Jones on maybe sidechaining the horn, but personally I wouldn't sidechain the gently caress out of them, just a simple moderate sidechain, with a nice reverb slapped on there after the sidechain. I like that sample, I just want it to give me more of a sense of space. Maybe some light reverb and just a touch of a phaser to give it a hint of motion?

edit: the whole thing made me want to play half life, take that as you will.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

^^
I think that's right.

also

more of the usual, w/e that is. I'ma finish a song one of these days. Really.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Oh lawd it's housey

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

new version of a song I posted earlier
Still really like it but I can't manage to get out of the last breakdown well, any ideas?
edit: newer version! (edit: again!)

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 5, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I really really have no idea where this came from.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Aiight god drat. So apparently, the time when I'm the best at writing music is when I have a lot of other poo poo that I really really really should be doing. Econometrics problem set's deadline is looming, and I bang this out in <2 hours in starbucks earlier this evening:

Started as a remix of an MIA and someone else track for some remix competition but I need to get away from remixing so much and get more of a solo portfolio so this is without the vox. Thoughts?

edit: some of the drops really don't make sense w/o vocals so for the time being, here's the full version as well:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 12, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Meatsplosion posted:

Is anyone producing in Windows x64? How is the performance increase over x86? I'm thinking of making the switch to Windows 7 x64 (from Vista x86) on my desktop this week if it means I can squeeze a few more plugins into the mix. :)

Currently on Win7 x64, fuckin love it but my only comparison right now is my 4 year old laptop running xp.
And I've never had any problems whatsoever maxing my cpu or anything even close.

edit:
just opened live and put in 8 instances of Massive, each playing every note from c2-c3 on some patch with several effects. Graphically it slowed a bit but the cpu meter never broke 67% and the audio was flawless.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 13, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

god drat, italo disco is loving sick

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I like this page so far.

Seriously though. Its like I woke up yesterday and suddenly figured out how to be funky.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

gently caress
this thing is huge

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

God damnit i've been busy this last week or two.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

so my internet is all screwed up forcing me to connect with my phone, which sucks, but it does allow me to sink some serious time into production.

So I present you with a new creation.

*edit

I now realize how completely loving inconvenient rapidshare is, and made some effort into getting this onto soundcloud. Aint easy working with big files from a cellphone :V

http://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/cameo-bitch-011

You tried tindeck?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Anacostia posted:

This is just a short idea... Tindeck made the bass sound really muddy.

Not a big fan of the clap but really diggin this. Almost want it to be a bit slower too, but that could just be me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

A challenger appears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

New project....possibly going to try to learn to sing and more importantly get better at recording vocals

• Locked thread