Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

GbrushTwood posted:

here's a song I was workin on, I was trying to make a french filter house type of thing... I think it turned out ok, but by god am I having trouble mixing.

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/the-one-i-want

Are you supposed to mixdown so the volume is really low, and then through mastering make it louder? I've read through this thread from beginning to end, but I am still having trouble :( any feedback would be great.

Bahahah holy poo poo, when I first went to the link, soundcloud was having trouble displaying the waveform, so for the time it just showed up as solid gray (as in you had compressed it literally as much as was physically possible) and I was really really impressed cause I've done some horrid mixdowns but that would top it, but then the proper image displayed, and its not really that bad.

Personally, I throw a mono on the master channel, mute everything, and turn everything down all the way, then one by one starting usually with the percs and bass working my way to rhythm and vox unmute then bring it up till the volume sounds about right, aiming for -3 to 0 db at your peaks. Plus after listening like this for a few minutes, when you take off the mono it'll sound absolutely awesome in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Been toying with the idea of a solo album of instrumentals aside from all the remixin I do, first effort/sketch:

opinions?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

God drat, I might have to do a full EP of missy elliot remixes. Missy gets dirty or something, cause god drat. She's fuckin fun to gently caress with
edit: newer version :c00lbert:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 5, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Its very possible I found this in ML, but I don't care its loving hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IHhs4XvOo

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Feels like it needs vocals, but everything feels like it needs vocals to me :(

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Hi, my name is Mezzir and you might know me from such films as "I can't sing but neither can you"

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Two new tracks up on my Youtube page :) (the first two ones in the list on the right, and neither are remixes :psyduck:)

http://www.youtube.com/mezzir

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Okay so there are things that I could use to wokr on and things I am decent at but still could improve on, and then there's naming tracks. I swear the reason I do 90% remixes is because I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT NAME MY SONGS.

For instance:

Anyone wanna take a crack at this one? Seriously, its in need of a name. Also I would be appreciative if anyone had advice as to how to name instrumental tracks.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

After three 80%-done remixes of Chromeo - Night By Night that for whatever reason just didn't work out, I think I've finally hit on something.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'm 12 years old and what is this

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Trying to try less pop-oriented stuff, more club music and whatnot

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Think this bitch is bout done finally, opinions?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Hurrrr meant to post this here last night

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Duck Sauce needs to get off their asses and release Barbra Streisand or else I'ma make this into a full track and release that poo poo:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Bout done with this track for a remix contest, anyone got any thoughts?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99284/Look%20Pon%20Me.mp3

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Continuing my long-running series of "what the gently caress did I just make and whyyyyyy" I decided to start a cover of Thom Yorke - Eraser and do it how I thought prince would.

Special Note: as with all in this series, I am well aware I cannot sing

edit: hot drat, threw a random acapella from my folder of stuff i've downloaded for remix competitions and indeed. hot drat

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 23, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

It needs vocals. Badly. Anyone know anything itchin for a remix?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

This is one of those so far where everything just falls into place naturally, only like 2 hours of work so far but god drat I like this

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

:woop::woop:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

telarium4 posted:

I do like the advertised Ableton integration with the MPK88. I'm very curious to see if I'd get that same flexibility with the Nord Stage. Either way, [pianosnob] I'll need to feel each piano before a purchase. [/pianosnob]

Interestingly, I tried a Fatar the other day -- and I came away impressed.

Granted this probably isn't the same model, but I have a SL-880 Pro I got used off craigslist and as a former piano snob as well, out of all the relatively cheap keyboards I've played this is easily my favorite. Had an 88 key m-audio one, Keystation Pro 88 iirc that I got off the internet without playing it first and never ended up using it cause the keys felt like crap. Traded it for a guitar, then two months later missed my 88 keys and found this one, worked perfectly :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Resurrecting a year old project :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

gently caress. I love this. Very nice. Classy.

Are these your vocals, or are you using an acapella?

Using a heavily eq'ed and effect-laden original track actually, acapella doesn't exist that i know of :) (Atmosphere - God's Bathroom Floor is the original, cant find it on youtube but I did find this live version that, unlike newer live versions, uses the original instrumental track isntead of a live band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIL7QkfMZlY&feature=related. Easily my favorite atmosphere song)

edit: and thanks :D

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

New poo poo:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yup
Its actually quite easy to do in ableton. Start with just two channels, a kick drum (I usually just use impulse), and a pad (or whatever you want sidechained, but a pad will be the easiest to hear what tweaking each thing does). Make the kick drum play a on the down beat and start that playing, and get the pad playing something as well. Next, add ableton's Compressor onto the pad channel. In the compressor box, near the top left there will be a power button, and a triangle, click the triangle to expand the sidechain options. Next, in the 'audio from' drop down menu, select the impulse channel. Now the threshold meter should start displaying the kick's levels, and drop that slider down and you'll hear the effect :)
That by itself is the effect but to get it to sound better you'll want to tweak the ratio, knee, attack and release in the compressor, but Ill let you fool around with those and figure out what does what.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Guys I think we're overlooking a critical factor here, haircut.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Progressive Anthem Trance fan spotted.

Nah dude Progressive Anthem Trance sucks, its all about Epic Uplifting Progressive Trance these days.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

A bit out of the realm of this thread but I don't really feel like starting a new one. I'm good with computers, but have very little with electronics as it were, and I happened upon one of these: (my hosting, waffleimages is down)
https://www.mezzir.com/reciever.jpg
Problem is, the power cord's cut an inch away from the unit, and I'm wondering how do-able fixing that would be, as the amp I'm using now is as old and ghetto, except probably more broken than this would be if it would turn on. Anyone have experience with this type of thing?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

AJzer posted:

Disagree, see below.

I'm ok with theory. I just don't have the technique (or time, yet) to play around in specific scales on a keyboard. This is a huge barrier to melody composition for me. The Kaossilator will absolutely make this easier, since it has presets for scales and keys that map the notes to the x-axis. I believe this is the feature that informed mezzir's question.

:wtc:
Gonna assume this was a mistype, because my question was about hardware repair.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Aw thanks you two :3:

And iZotope Ozone is on the master because I'm a horrible and lazy human being, though I think I just used a bit of the harmonic exciter and loudness maximizer, most of the work is on the individual tracks.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Crossposting from the Electro/House/Etc thread in NMD:

Got a remix in a remix contest at the moment, it's of Metric - Sick Muse and it's sitting in 28th place right now, which is especially disheartening seeing as the #1 sounds like loving j-pop, third place I think is just the original with a house loop behind it, and 6th is like a disney love song version.

http://www.indabamusic.com/#!/submissions/show/30541

Motherfuck that.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Three part story with a song at the end!

Part One: In Which Our Hero Acts A drat Fool:
So today at work on my break I'm still excited to have my week-old laptop to futz around with on break, and after having Katy Perry - Teenage Dream stuck in my head all day, I spend the first few minutes of my 15 minute break searching for an acapella to start a remix or something, only to find there are no good ones. Always a man of action, I launch into Plan B and track down an instrumental and full version of similar bitrates and whatnot, throw on my headphones, and attempt to create an acapella. Mostly had succeeded 10 minutes later, after listening to the same 15 seconds of that song looped while I messed around with it. Still had the bassline in there and a bit of hat/snare, but that was essentially it. I'm super-psyched, seeing as usually it's just impossible, when all of a sudden I hear a coworker say "Hey mezzir, you do realize that your external speakers are on, right?" Wrong, god damnit. Apparently I only had my headphones plugged in halfway which would explain why I had some weird phasing issues. Essentially, for a full 10 minutes three of my coworkers sat and said nothing while I blasted repeatedly 15 seconds of a Katy Perry song. Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Needless to say, I felt like an rear end, especially since I'm usually the one at work listening to random people no one there's heard of (not trying to bump my indie cred, just a lot of people there listen to like top 40 or godsmack-ish stuff).

Part Two: In Which Our Hero Defies All Odds
So later this evening I'm at home, and realize in my embarrassment earlier I never saved what I was working on. Frustrated, I attempt to recreate what I'd done earlier to some success, and to my surprise end up doing even better (adjusting the track delay in ableton by samples makes things so so so much easier). Successful to the point where I feel the acapella's usable, I move on to

Part Three: In Which Our Hero Is Accidentally Awesome
Considering the acapella actually usable, I started messing around with some synths trying to get ideas for hooks or riffs. After a good 15 minutes with really nothing very interesting, I start sample digging. Several failures in, I notice while browsing my music for other songs in G Minor that The Human League - Heart Like A Wheel is in the same key, and even the same tempo as Teenage Dream. I start by just taking a small portion and trying to use it as a sample, but ended up just taking out the instrumental parts of Heart Like A Wheel and making a full length instrumental of it, and essentially making a mashup of the two songs, and I gotta say I like it. With that, I give you the fruit of my fairly short and not very arduous quest:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 23, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

:woop: New Track!:woop:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

One of my sample folders has been on a Aesop Rock album of instrumentals+acapellas for a while now, and now every track I end up writing ends up an Aesop track. Kinda okay with this.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Random chatter: anyone have any interest in a prize-less for the hell of it contest? Bored while working and I'm going through my old tindeck uploads and came across both my entries from Songs for the Deaf, and from the one we did where everyone in a group wrote parts separately with a tempo and key signiture in mind without hearing the rest, then one person mixed and uploaded. Would totally be down for something like either of those if anyone else would be.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

:siren:GOON COLLAB:siren:

Myself and dear old Quincy Smallvoice just put out a promo track, located :woop:HERE:woop:. It's free and it's totally awesome, listen/download/tell your mother about it/tell your mother to tell her boyfriend about it/tell her boyfriend to stop asking you to call him dad.

Or you know, any one or two of those would be fine too.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

New sketch, with and without R Kelly depending on if that's your thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

God drat I'm rusty, first time actually writing a track and not just dicking around in like a year:

• Locked thread