Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
First of all I want to point out that this thread has been very helpful for getting into making electronic music.

I'm slowly getting use to Ableton Live 7 (I own Suite) and working with it. I made this the other day:
and I'm wondering how I could improve on it. I'm talking sound wise such as drums and such. I know you can only do so much with preset settings of instruments and such so I'm wondering what techniques people use to get their stuff sounding a lot more professional. Drums in particular are a big thing that I'm trying to learn how to get good sounds out of. The drums I use was the preset 606 drum machine that Ableton came with.

I guess I like the sound of the French house scene (Ed Banger Records, Daft Punk, etc.) and want to make stuff like that.

One more thing is transitions. Whenever I'm making electronic stuff it just seems like I keep building on a part and then I get to a point where it just as a song doesn't really feel that strong. Anyone got any pointers on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

IanTheM posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2McDeSKiOU

Moldover has an awesome live setup that allows him to do all kinds of things like that, and this video shows how he incorporates other software to expand live's capabilities. I haven't checked out Tele Aviv yet, but this may be what you're after.

That setup is amazing.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking for some feedback on a track that I'm working on. Right now I pretty much have four main parts but I'm looking as to how I can vary it up so it sounds more interesting. At the same time I don't want too many things going on. I also am lacking major bassage and am wondering tips on how to approach bass in a track like this. It's sort of Ratatat-kinda sounding. Do the transitions sound weird? Does the end fit within the song?

Thanks.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking for some feedback on a track I'm working on. Ive hit a brick wall where I don't know how to take the track or where to go with it which seems to be something a lot of people talk about.

I think the transitions are a bit awkward in the beginning as well and its plaguing the song. The melody that starts at 1 minute might be a little weak I'm thinking.

Let me know what you think/suggestions for arrangement,etc.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking to get into DJing with Ableton and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using Mixed In Key? Does it work pretty much how it says it does?

Also what about platinum notes 3.0 ?

http://www.mixedinkey.com/

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Here's a song that I made in Ableton and I was wondering some thoughts on it. It has sort of a Four Tet sample-based feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Osh posted:

Hello again. I posted a couple of songs on the last page and got some constructive feedback, and now I'm trying to incorporate it into an entry for a remix contest:

I've decided to ask for some criticism before I finish the track this time. Again, I'm going for a professional-grade electro house feel, but this time I'm really trying to focus on it being mixable with other current electro songs.

So what do you think?

I think your production is really top-notch. I like the song but I felt like I was losing interest about midway through but then the ending came and totally brought the song back to life. I would like to see the ending part be more buildup and longer but you said you aren't finished so sounds like that's something you might be doing.

Here's something I made. I think the drums need to do something different on the piano breakdown maybe. Any suggestions?

• Locked thread