Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Rivfader posted:

Another new doodle, I can't seem to get to finishing anything.

Automation is shakey, as is the final mix.

https://soundcloud.com/figure-8/hymn

The bass & percussion in the first part reminds me a bit of Download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Thoogsby posted:

I've had an idea for a new ML thread that I want to gauge interest for:

Basically it's a bi-weekly friendly competition where people write/produce/record music all drawing from a single inspiration source, in this case a photograph that I would post in the OP of each competition thread. The way it would work is I would open a separate thread for each competition and include the source photo and the day and time when submissions were due to be posted (I was thinking 10 days after posting the thread)then there would be a few day period where anyone can vote on the best submission after that day, presumably based on how good the music is and how it relates to the source photo. The only rule for the music would be a time limit (I was thinking like 1:30). I don't have a prize planned as of yet but I could probably put something together, especially if there is a lot of participation. It's similar to the photo competition in the photography sub-forum where everyone produces a photograph based on a single word or phrase. I always thought it would be a cool exercise to try to write music based on a photo and this seems like a cool way to do that plus give people a reason to make some music.

Would anyone be interested in participating in something like this?

I like this. I could use the thematic focus and arbitrary deadline to make me buckle down and commit to a quick sketch, rather than fiddling endlessly and aimlessly.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lump Shaker posted:

Here's some kind of darker broken beat techno I just finished. Feedback as always is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/ttinga-roomworm

I like it. It's a bit minimalist - maybe it could use another layer of something?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

I am the M00N posted:

So I have recently been able to motivate myself enough to start trying to work on music again. I still have the same problems as before, namely not knowing how to make sounds. There are many specific sounds that I want to at least make something close to, but have no ability to do so. How do I figure out how to make sounds more effectively, so that I am not aimlessly loving around with dials for hours on end and getting nothing out of it?

One other thing I was wondering was about using filters on soundfonts to make them more interesting. I am wanting to make sounds that are gritty and electronic sounding, are there filters that are really good for that?

I spent too much time in the past twiddling knobs and never got around to making music. I still don't have much time for it, but I've found that I'd rather just choose a preset close enough to what I wanted, then maybe throw a CamelPhat or CamelSpace (or both) preset on top of it, and I get something I like. This let's me spend more time on putting an arrangement together. I can always tweak or replace the sounds later if I think I need to.

If you have to choose one filter, I'd go with CamelPhat, but CamelAudio has a sale once a year where you get CamelPhat and CamelSpace together for the price of one ($59). They're just really easy to work with and come with a ton of presets.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
We should be happy enough if we can just make a good song - the burden of coming up with something "revolutionary" - especially when starting out - sets the bar so high it's ridiculous.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I guess I should add that making "Save As" your friend should not get overlooked.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

TheQuietWilds posted:

FXPansion Geist, MPC 2.0 and Maschine (the software, not the hardware) are all described as 'beat production' programs, the later of the two are also standalone programs connected with expensive hardware that claim to be usable as VST/AUs but everything I've read suggests that they work poorly in that fashion. Geist is a bit more expensive than I'd like. I'm looking for something to chop/edit samples, assign them across the pads of a MIDI controller, and probably some other features or functions I don't know I want yet. I was hoping to find a stripped down version for less than $200 (the price of Geist).

FXpansion periodically have sales. You might see a sale price for Geist 2 in the next 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

giogadi posted:

Thanks for the recs! Battery and Geist both look to be exactly what I’m looking for. At that price tag though I guess I could also decide whether it’s worth just ponying up for an Ableton license as well. I got some stuff to think about!

If you're not in a hurry, FXpansion occasionally has sales with really good discounts for Geist (well, Geist 2 now). But I couldn't give you a timetable.

• Locked thread